Openwiz Toolchain

Orkie

Super Duper Mega GP Mania
Website
www.gp2x.dev
Was messing around earlier. Here is a package of stuff you need to get started developing for the Wiz under Linux. It is derived from the Open2x stuff. Copy the config file as .config into a crosstool-ng 1.2.4 setup and build the toolchain with that. Then run the library build script.

It isn't very well tested yet, but if your stuff builds with this it will probably work on an OpenWiz firmware (I will be using the libs compiled in this way). I might post up some raw hardware code at some point soon too.

http://x11.gp2x.de/openwiz/openwiz-toolchain-161208.tar.bz2

Is there a version for penguin haters? (Windows users I mean)

Not yet, it is a mega pain to compile a toolchain for Windows that targets Linux.

I have a script somewhere to build the Open2x libs for the Wiz if that's what you mean. I will dig it out an upload it sometime. I also have the latest SDL source code, and this version seems to have some kind of hardware acceleration in it, though I don't know exactly what or how much of a difference it makes to anything.

Orkie said:
I have a script somewhere to build the Open2x libs for the Wiz if that's what you mean. I will dig it out an upload it sometime. I also have the latest SDL source code, and this version seems to have some kind of hardware acceleration in it, though I don't know exactly what or how much of a difference it makes to anything.
When ever you have time and yeah a script works. SDL is main thing im looking for (doesnt everything build off it anyway?) Someone already had time to add hw accel? Thats a plus, I was only expecting fb for a while.
Shouldnt we be able to keep the exisiting new-libs and have both scripts/makefilesfor both units?

Update:
Ok I misunderstood the contents of the zip. I didnt know you had scripts in there to rebuild the toolchain and libs. I thought it was only the toolchain.

Update #2:

Ive not used this cross build script before. Downloaded from Here

Where exactly do you put the .config file? I tried to put it in the config folder of the crosstool-NG install.

I was going to follow these commands from the crosstool-NG site:

./configure --prefix=/some/place
make
make install
export PATH="${PATH}:/some/place/bin"
cd /your/development/directory
ct-ng help
ct-ng menuconfig
ct-ng build

ok i got it to make, and tried ct-ng menuconfig but it bombed, ct-ng config seem to work. But Im guessing the .config you gave replaces this, then I can run the build.
Just where does .config go? (update menuconfig needed the ncurses devel package)

Figured it out it goes in the root folder of the crossinstall, not the config folder.
I had to create a /toolchain folder for the script. Now its failing on downloaded source, which may not be the script.

Update #3
Things are going! Had to set these variables in the .config to use my proxy
CT_PROXY_TYPE="http"
CT_PROXY_USER=""
CT_PROXY_PASS=""
CT_PROXY_HOST=""
CT_PROXY_PORT=""

Update #4
To get wget to get through a proxy use:
export http_proxy="http://username:password@proxy.example.com:8080"

Last edited by a moderator:
Pickle said:
I didnt know you had scripts in there to rebuild the toolchain and libs. I thought it was only the toolchain.
Neither did I, I had forgotten :D.

Orkie said:
Pickle said:
I didnt know you had scripts in there to rebuild the toolchain and libs. I thought it was only the toolchain.
Neither did I, I had forgotten :D .

Well im working my way through the cross build im getting though gdb now. UPDATE: toolchain done! yeah!
Do you mind if I upload the final install to the archives (once the archives are up)?

Also some other tips to anyone trying this:

ct-ng build RESTART=<step>

This will let you restart at certain steps in the process. For example I got all the way to gdb and I was missing some packages. That command saved another 60 min of of rework.

Orkie said:
Sure, do whatever with it.

thanks, (I think the change to download the package at the time of running the script and then apply patches is a good idea)

Update
Trying to build the libs and ive noticed -mcpu=arm920t is still in there from open2x.

Orkie, bigger problem the libtool in libjpeg has references to the open2x toolchain (im going to try and switch them all to my settings)

Also is SDL really going to work with the gp2x-video enabled (from the makefile)?
--enable-video\
--enable-video-gp2x\

Ive uploaded the toolchain to the archives: here

That said I would like to upload the libs also, but some are failing:
flac error:
/opt/toolchains/openwiz/arm-openwiz-linux-gnu/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-openwiz-linux-gnu/4.2.4/../../../../arm-openwiz-linux-gnu/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /lib/libc.so.6 when searching for /lib/libc.so.6
/opt/toolchains/openwiz/arm-openwiz-linux-gnu/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-openwiz-linux-gnu/4.2.4/../../../../arm-openwiz-linux-gnu/bin/ld: cannot find /lib/libc.so.6
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Thats are far as i get into the build from the start. I can though build sdl, sdl_mixer.

If there is ever a version for Windows, please let me know!

What is involved getting it working on Windows? Is there a general guide somewhere to compiling a toolchain for Windows that can be used as a basis?

pea said:
If there is ever a version for Windows, please let me know!

What is involved getting it working on Windows? Is there a general guide somewhere to compiling a toolchain for Windows that can be used as a basis?
I compile with DevKitGp2x without problems... I only have to remove '-static' flag in the linking phase...
DevKitGp2x can be only used to compile an executable without dependencies with other libraries (e.g. -lpthread).

Back