Caanoo / WIZ Openwiz Toolchain Questions

NeoGML

Still Fresh
Website
matthewylim.blogspot.com
Hi...

is the openwiz toolchain compatible w/ leopard/mac os x?

i've downloaded the toolchain from the gp2xwiz file archive (the 222MB library)... how exactly do you install it?

is there like a tarball that i can download somewhere so i can do a build and then do a make install or something?

thanks,

NeoGML posted on May 15 2009 at 08:23 PM) Hi... is the openwiz toolchain compatible w/ leopard/mac os x? i've downloaded the toolchain from the gp2xwiz file archive (the 222MB library said:
... how exactly do you install it?
is there like a tarball that i can download somewhere so i can do a build and then do a make install or something?
thanks,
it a prebuilt gcc toolchain for linux, and you use tar to extract it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pickle posted on May 16 2009 at 12:50 AM) [quote="NeoGML posted on May 15 2009 at 08:23 PM said:
Hi...
i've downloaded the toolchain from the gp2xwiz file archive (the 222MB library"]... how exactly do you install it?
thanks,
it a prebuilt gcc toolchain for linux, and you use tar to extract it.[/quote]right... i figured that much out... but I think i might just have a poor understanding of toolchains in general... I'm guessing it's the makefile that determines which gcc to use, but do I have to add something to $PATH to get it to work?

NeoGML posted on May 15 2009 at 10:02 PM) [quote="Pickle posted on May 16 2009 at 12:50 AM said:
NeoGML posted on May 15 2009 at 08:23 PM said:
Hi...
i've downloaded the toolchain from the gp2xwiz file archive (the 222MB library"]... how exactly do you install it?
thanks,
right... i figured that much out... but I think i might just have a poor understanding of toolchains in general... I'm guessing it's the makefile that determines which gcc to use, but do I have to add something to $PATH to get it to work?[/quote]

A makefile is a script in a sense. The $PATH enviroment variable is used by the shell to look for the binaries you call. So normally you add the path of where your copy of gcc is, so when you call it on your command line it can be found and run

Pickle posted on May 16 2009 at 02:54 AM) [quote="NeoGML posted on May 15 2009 at 10:02 PM said:
Pickle posted on May 16 2009 at 12:50 AM said:
NeoGML posted on May 15 2009 at 08:23 PM said:
Hi...
thanks,
right... i figured that much out... but I think i might just have a poor understanding of toolchains in general... I'm guessing it's the makefile that determines which gcc to use, but do I have to add something to $PATH to get it to work?

A makefile is a script in a sense. The $PATH enviroment variable is used by the shell to look for the binaries you call. So normally you add the path of where your copy of gcc is, so when you call it on your command line it can be found and run[/quote]Alright... yeah i was looking at the glquake Makefile.wiz and i'm guessing you just point the prefix field to wherever the actual openwiz toolchain is... and that's all you need to do, right?

NeoGML posted on May 16 2009 at 12:58 PM said:
Alright... yeah i was looking at the glquake Makefile.wiz and i'm guessing you just point the prefix field to wherever the actual openwiz toolchain is... and that's all you need to do, right?
For the most part, it a common path, really just a variable. It should be $(PREFIX)/bin/"somthing"-gcc

Pickle posted on May 16 2009 at 07:58 PM) [quote="NeoGML posted on May 16 2009 at 12:58 PM said:
Alright... yeah i was looking at the glquake Makefile.wiz and i'm guessing you just point the prefix field to wherever the actual openwiz toolchain is... and that's all you need to do, right?
For the most part, it a common path, really just a variable. It should be $(PREFIX"]/bin/"somthing"-gcc[/quote]Ahhhh... I see, like, from the CC line: $(PREFIX)/bin/$(TARGET)-gcc

Alright, thanks a lot, Pickle! Really appreciate it!

hmm...

okay, so i tried to copy the entire arm-openwiz-linux-gnu to my /usr/local and i had some problems.

i get this:

cp: arm-openwiz-linux-gnu//sys-root/usr/lib/terminfo/N/ncr260vt300wpp: Too many levels of symbolic links
cp: arm-openwiz-linux-gnu//sys-root/usr/share/terminfo/N/ncr260vt300wpp: Too many levels of symbolic links

any ideas?

i tried copying it to /opt/ and it more or less did the same thing...

also, when i untar it, i get the arm-openwiz-linux-gnu folder with another arm-openwiz-linux-gnu folder inside of it... should i copy the topmost directory or should i only copy the stuff inside it?

thanks for your patience...

neogml

okay...

so i was able to install it in the /opt/ directory (looked at the wiki) but i can't execute any of the compilers themselves..

cannot execute binary file is what i get.. maybe it's b/c it's OS X?

i dunno...

NeoGML posted on May 21 2009 at 03:06 PM) okay... so i was able to install it in the /opt/ directory (looked at the wiki said:
but i can't execute any of the compilers themselves..

cannot execute binary file is what i get.. maybe it's b/c it's OS X?

i dunno...
it a prebuilt gcc toolchain for LINUX

Back