Openttd Port

Pickle said:
How well does this work with the free data sets?

You mean the free graphics and sounds? Perfectly fine, and is packaged with the free graphics (sounds are downloaded with the built in content downloader).

Last edited by a moderator:
MistaGiggles said:
Pickle said:
How well does this work with the free data sets?

You mean the free graphics and sounds? Perfectly fine, and is packaged with the free graphics (sounds are downloaded with the built in content downloader).

Great then, ill have to give this a try

jaycee900 said:
Erm look on the filearchive for freeciv;)
Thx. :D Now I just need my preordered Pandora.

jaycee900 said:
Hey great stuff...working great so far...though i won't start playing properly until sound support...very distracting without sound!!
Also i know its a strange request, but is there any chance of a lower resolution mode. i know 800x480 looks great but i'm wondering how much eye strain i'm gonna get after a while! Plus i know you can zoom in and out, but even at the closest settings its a little fiddly selecting icons etc and what with touchscreens not being 100% accurate...i know btw you cant please everyone lol
I hope the accuracy of the Touchscreen can be improved for the game. OpenTTD has alot of tiny buttons and menu Options to click.
If 32BPP works, you also have 2 additional Zoom Levels. ;) Or, maybe you can set the game to 400x240 and scale 2x up. This should be VERY big then.

MistaGiggles said:
Text is about the same size as any other text on the pandora (ie in the browser) and even the tiny map text is readable without strain.
Looks very good in 800x480. :) I remember that the original game was made for 640x480 so there shouldn't be any problems onto the Pandora :)

Scaling up 400x240 is not a good idea as the game only becomes really well playable at 640*480. It would make sense to invest some time into developing an alternative UI for high dpi devices, though. This would be useful on Pandora, N900, iPhone 4 etc. and even high res computer screens and HD TVs to some extent. Keeping the windows small while making fonts and buttons big is the challenge. Touch and drag scrolling in windows would probably be useful. The actual playing field needs no changes IMO as the big choice of different zoom levels solve this problem already.

I've had no problems so far with touching the tiny buttons, the touchscreen is accurate enough for almost all UI work. The only gripe I have is with the Auto-rail tool, as you can't tell if you are going to place the right track piece first time with it. Although using the directional tools is much easier than on PC due to having the touch screen, and not having to move a mouse to change tool.

I managed to build my first rail network (5 coal trains to 1 power station) in roughly the same time as I could on pc. Personally I don't think the UI is worth changing, as it keeps perfect compatibility with all the pc servers. I will still look into getting a pandora build official, with it's own gui branch.

Oh hey, this is pretty neat. Just a few days ago I started playing OpenTTD. Today I was wondering if someone got it working on Pandora (and remembered ZodTTD's name), got on the forums and saw this post from yesterday!

And on the subject of Linux washing machines:

Running android:
washing-machine.jpg

Don't forget the powder.
linux.jpg

Hey, it looks like there's another port of this on the File Archive:
http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/pandora.cgi?0,0,0,0,29,284

Anyone tried it yet to see what the difference is?

I only tried the 'new' port; it seems to contain music, but it has the famous SDL-Fullscreen mousecursor problem, rendering it not that useful.

Will try the 'old' port soon.

Edit: ah :( The old one also has the drifting cursor bug. Anyway, the old version is 1.02 if I'm correct, the newer one is 1.05

Has anyone found a solution for the mousecursor bug? Right now it's not really usable...

OpenTTD 1.1.1 has been released. It contains alot of bugfixes, would be great if this version could be ported to the Pandora. :)

Back