Openmoko Freerunner Phone

invinciblegod

Now that it is out, anyone going to get it? I'm enticed but its lack of camera really holds me back. If some people develope some nice appliactions for it than maybe but it really bothers me that it doesnt have a camera. What do you people think?

Freerunner:http://www.openmoko.com/product.html

If they release a new one with 3G and preferably a camera, I probably will. Also, coming from someone who generally care in the slightest what his gadgets look like, that thing is seriously ugly as sin. I don't mind an ugly design if it's practical, but that design doesn't look aesthetically pleasing or practical. I love the whole concept/philosophy behind it, but the Freerunner is kinda meh.

To head off the posts that inevitably appear when one discusses Openmoko, no Android will not make this obsolete. Openmoko / Freerunner is entirely open, except for (IIRC) believe the GSM driver, which makes it kind of similar to the Pandora. Android is more like current linux-based phones. There will be an SDK, which is certainly a good thing, but it won't be completely open.

BigTruck said:
If they release a new one with 3G and preferably a camera, I probably will. Also, coming from someone who generally care in the slightest what his gadgets look like, that thing is seriously ugly as sin. I don't mind an ugly design if it's practical, but that design doesn't look aesthetically pleasing or practical. I love the whole concept/philosophy behind it, but the Freerunner is kinda meh.

To head off the posts that inevitably appear when one discusses Openmoko, no Android will not make this obsolete. Openmoko / Freerunner is entirely open, except for (IIRC) believe the GSM driver, which makes it kind of similar to the Pandora. Android is more like current linux-based phones. There will be an SDK, which is certainly a good thing, but it won't be completely open.
What im wondering is that can android be ported to this phone? or is that proprietary?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have ordered one, still waiting for shipment and bank transfer details.

I've just received an e-mail the first batch is sold out and I need to wait a couple of weeks before the next batch is produced. Apparently the phone is selling good..

I probably won't get one as it has no camera. I study computer vision, so i am very interested in creating applications that use the camera (applications = games :D ) I'm disappointed it didn't get a camera, and it is rather heavy too.

u9i said:
I probably won't get one as it has no camera. I study computer vision, so i am very interested in creating applications that use the camera (applications = games :D ) I'm disappointed it didn't get a camera, and it is rather heavy too.
Buy a pandora +usb webcam. Best combo for computer vision stuff. I'll probably use a usb cam + freerunner or pandora.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've received my phone yesterday! Worked out of the box and had no problem phoning or accepting calls. Will start exploring more next week, I will have more time then.

Back