Openhandhelds.org Relauch

derdritte

Still Fresh
Hey Guys,

I've been working on a complete rewrite of the OpenHandhelds.org-Upload System.

If you are interested in checking it out and suggesting features or reporting bugs,
please check the thread in the Caanoo-section or drop a PM.

Thanks for testing,
derdritte

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a look about using firefox without any issues, though not downloaded anything. Looks really nice though but whats with the Bunnies :)?

Search returns nothing and doesn't give warning, if you're searching something but havnt selected a category(caanoo, pandora...). Then I tried to download the SNES Emu, but Firefox just shows a blank screen after I accept the License. OHBoy worked. :blink:

It is unusable at 800x600 screen resolution. The screenshot of the software blocks almost all of the text.

This is an important consideration because many people will be accessing it from Pandora, which has 800px-wide resolution. The current file archive doesn't look its best at 800px wide, but it's usable.

Everybody, please keep it coming. I am not here over the weekend, but when I return I'll check all threads, compile a list and let it flow into the rewrite.

Esn said:
It is unusable at 800x600 screen resolution. The screenshot of the software blocks almost all of the text.

This is an important consideration because many people will be accessing it from Pandora, which has 800px-wide resolution. The current file archive doesn't look its best at 800px wide, but it's usable.

There are enough sites out there which aren't optimized for 800px wide that you get kind of used to scrolling. :)
It may be enough to move the Most Downloaded section on the left under Latest Files and limit the lists to 25 rather than 50, although there are a few cases where the pages collapse inelegantly:

-When viewing an item (game, emulator, etc.), the preview covers the text.
-At the lists for emulators, games, and stuff, the table extends beyond where it should and covers up the Most Downloaded list.

I didn't looks around as much as I could have so I probably missed a few more.

It thought that for the pandora you were supposed to use the apps.openpandora.org page? So I'm a bit confused by this revamp of the site for the pandora section. Are the apps/games on openhandhelds.org in sync with apps.openpandora.org? Sorry if this goes a bit off topic.

^ Nope. It is my understanding that the OpenHandhelds archive has more, and is more up-to-date.

My apologies for the off-topicness - I just couldn't let this one go unanswered. :p

Prometheus said:
^ Nope. It is my understanding that the OpenHandhelds archive has more, and is more up-to-date.

My apologies for the off-topicness - I just couldn't let this one go unanswered. :p

Thanks for the clarification. It's a shame bit that apps webpage is outdated. Maybe it would be better if it app store was an actual application?

fettouhi said:
Prometheus said:

Thanks for the clarification. It's a shame bit that apps webpage is outdated. Maybe it would be better if it app store was an actual application?

I don't see why any extra functionality Craig wanted couldn't be integrated into the openhandhelds.org archive. I much prefer the interface of the archive, as opposed to the app store. You could even have two front-ends, one for desktop, one for Pandora. In fact, I really liked the idea of The Box, that dflesmtr (sp?) made, it was very cutting edge and had a lot of information. Having two places to update apps, is clearly non-sensical and will, and has let to fragmentation.

Cheese said:
There are enough sites out there which aren't optimized for 800px wide that you get kind of used to scrolling. :)
As I said, the current file archive looks "ok" (not great, but "ok") at 800px wide. The biggest problem with the new one is that the screenshot covers the text. Maybe there could be some sort of script that will detect someone's resolution, and rearrange a few things if it's 800px wide?

fettouhi said:
Prometheus said:

Just as a reminder, the most up-to-date and complete lists of Pandora software (featuring many programs that are not uploaded to either the appstore or the file archive) are here:
http://pandorawiki.org/Emulator_list
http://pandorawiki.org/Games
http://pandorawiki.org/Software_projects

Esn said:
Cheese said:
As I said, the current file archive looks "ok" (not great, but "ok") at 800px wide. The biggest problem with the new one is that the screenshot covers the text. Maybe there could be some sort of script that will detect someone's resolution, and rearrange a few things if it's 800px wide?

Yes, I agree.

I just looked into it and if for the cover class float: right is used instead of position: relative and the image is moved to right before the summary div, then the page collapses a bit nicer (while still looking correct uncollapsed) and instead of covering up the details, the details move to be below the preview image instead being covered by it. The summary class has a left hand side margin of 325px which I'm pretty sure can be removed or decreased after this.

BTW, thanks for continuing to maintain those lists, Esn! :)

Back