OpenGL ist da!!!

lockwood

Nuclear sagt:

Hello, this is my first message in this forum, good to meet you all.

I just wanted to announce, that I started a project recently for creating a fixed point OpenGL implementation, for the gp2x (which of course could also be used on other fpu-less platforms). I just finished a first working version of the library, and thought it would be a good idea to create a sourceforge project, and post this announcement to see if anyone is interested.
The code is free (as in freedom), provided under the GNU General Public License (yes GPL, *not* LGPL, I only want to help free software developers).

Development status
The library still has many things to be implemented yet, optimizations to be done, and in general a lot of work before it's deemed a complete OpenGL implementation for the gp2x (although it DOES work, check out this shot: http://libfixgl.sourceforge.net/img/gp2x.jpg ). But then again, if I had done the whole thing myself, it wouldn't be fun for the rest of you :) So in the spirit of free software development, I invite anyone who is interested to participate in the development of this library.

At this point, most of the OpenGL state is there, texturing, zbuffering, gouraud (and additionally phong:) shading, lighting, the usual modelview/projection matrix stacks, etc. The library works with 16.16 fixed point math internally, and provides additional fixed point API functions along with the regular floating point ones. So for example, glVertex3f is now a wrapper that converts its floating point arguments to fixed point and calls glVertex3x, which is the "new" fixed point equivalent.

Important missing features at this point
The most glaring ommision at this point is the total absence of 3D clipping. The rasterizer handles 2D image-space clipping but if the polygons cross the XY plane (go behind the camera) you're toast :)

The rasterizer handles blending, as well as color, depth, and (if requested) normal interpolation, BUT does not yet support perspective-correct texture mapping.

The lighting code is slow at this point. Vector normalization is handled with floating point arithmetic, due to overflow problems with fixed point vector calculations.

Download
You can get the code from the sourceforge subversion repository like this: "svn co https://svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/libfixgl". For more information, visit the project homepage which I just uploaded: http://libfixgl.sourceforge.net/
There you can also find contact information if you wish to contribute to the development or, you just want to say hi, whatever :)
I'll try to watch this thread also, and answer any questions here...

Quelle: http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php?showtopic=31720

gp2x.jpg

Das nenn ich mal Großartige Neuigkeiten,
auch wenns noch ein weiter weg ist,
freue ich mich schon auf das erste opengl homebrew game :wink:

Dieses Models auf dem bild hat 10k Poly's :D
(er sagt aber das es ziemlich langsam läuft :p )

Saugeil! Auch wenns langsam ist, kann man sicher noch irgendwie ein wenig beschleunigen und optimieren. Möge (jaja, ich träume :p ) ein N64 Emulator folgen ^^

Ich frage mich, ob das OpenGL auf dem GP2X wirklich was bringen würde.
Es braucht ja doch einiges an Rechenpower. Ob da was für den Rest (sprich das eigentliche Game) übrig bleibt?
Quake z.B. läuft ja gerad so im Softwaremodus flüssig. Ohne Hardwarebeschleunigung wird OpenGL sicher nicht viel an Speed bringen.

Zugegeben, es sieht natürlich schnieke aus. ^^

10k Poly? Und es läuft langsam? Ist doch geil! Ich brauch vielleicht 500 Polys pro Frame für ein mittelmäßiges 3D-Spiel. Mal schauen, was an Optimierung zu machen ist, und wie es aussieht, wenn Texturen noch dazukommen! ^_^

Cyberpuer said:
10k Poly? Und es läuft langsam? Ist doch geil! Ich brauch vielleicht 500 Polys pro Frame für ein mittelmäßiges 3D-Spiel. Mal schauen, was an Optimierung zu machen ist, und wie es aussieht, wenn Texturen noch dazukommen! ^_^

Vergess auch nicht, dass es noch nicht entsprechend optimiert wurde, da bekommt man noch n bisschen was raus :>

Für ein paar ports könnte das sicher hilfreich sein, aber um echte 3d spiele auf dem GP2x zu realisieren müsste ein ASM software renderer (am besten auf der zweiten cpu) her... aber da gibt es ja schon ein paar ganz nette ansätze.

Back