Opengl Es With Opengl 1.4

emcp

i do know of a opengl es emulator from AMD, unfortunately that requires OPENGL 2.0, and i only have OPENGL 1.4 and DirectX8/9 (i think)

is there anyway i can begin developing with OPENGL ES
apart from buying a new video card (because i wont have much use for it apart form this)

just with the delays i wont to start programming now
SDL im alright with but id like to take it a step further

thanks

emcp said:
i do know of a opengl es emulator from AMD, unfortunately that requires OPENGL 2.0, and i only have OPENGL 1.4 and DirectX8/9 (i think)

apart from buying a new video card (because i wont have much use for it apart form this)

thanks
Well, I'm in a similar boat. While I do have a OpenGL 2.0 card, I'm not happy with the SDK.

Right now, it's just best to learn stuff like VBOs (vertex buffer objects) and shaders. These are going to be some of the few methods available for coding on the Pandora.

Last edited by a moderator:
emcp said:

Do yourself a favour then: install Linux on your PC ;) The SDK worked fine for me on my PC with an nVidia 7900GT.

EDIT: emulator from AMD? Are you sure? I used the one from ImgTec.

Last edited by a moderator:
You could just use normal OpenGL to develop, but make sure you only use functions that exist in OpenGL ES. A simple way to do that is to include the ES headers, but link to your OpenGL library.
That should allow you to move your program over to ES with a minimum of fuzz once you get the real thing.

I've been using the ImgTec emulator & SDK for ES 1.1 on my MacBook which has one of those rubbish integrated Intel GFX parts and it works very nicely. I couldn't get the ES 2.0 working though but that's OK as I don't need any ES 2.0 features.
Using the ImgTech SDK will also give you a head start on getting your textures converted as the PVR uses its own compressed texture format.

Back