Open Source Mmorpg-the Mana World

palmertech

Has anyone seen this? It is an open source MMO that has already been ported to the N800 and N810, and it works with external keyboards as well as bluetooth ones. It is not very typing heavy, dpad and touch screen take care of most of the navigation (Except when talking to people). Anyone up for porting this? Only took a few hours for it to be ported to N800. Site: http://www.themanaworld.org/
It would be pretty awesome to get this ported!

Not really my kind of game, either, but I always thought mmorpg games would be much better on a portable. Considering all the earlier talk of an mmorpg for the Pandora, I am surprised at the seeming lack of interest in this game... One of the main reasons that pandora was dismissed as a mmo host was that there were no open source mmo engines that ran on linux. Well, now there is.

Gruso said:
Repeat first sentence from previous two posts. :)
Look at my "Either". I was responding to him, not deja vu. :rolleyes: Or maybe I am misunderstanding you?

Last edited by a moderator:
palmertech said:
I am surprised at the seeming lack of interest in this game...
Well, nobody has a Pandora yet for one thing. Also, a lot of people don't read the dev board.

If someone ports this to Pandora, I'm sure it could gain a following.

The good thing is that even without a Pandora following, we can still play with PC players (Granted the server used is the same). Should I post this in General? Who knows, I am not much of a programmer, but I might give this a shot! B)

palmertech said:
Gruso said:
Repeat first sentence from previous two posts. :)
Look at my "Either". I was responding to him, not deja vu. :rolleyes: Or maybe I am misunderstanding you? Yep, you misread me. That would be the fault of my shorthand post though :lol: What I meant was, I agree with the previous two posts. :)

As far as I know, the game uses pure SDL and has a nice pixel art based engine. The only thing is, the game lacks content like story and quests. But if some interest is gathered around it, some other projects my be derived or better, developer team of TMW can get more fresh blood.

babamthegrunt said:
Hmm intresting, looks like it's using the PW engine; so it would be easy to port.

I say we do it!
What is a "PW engine"?
TMW uses SDL and some exotic libs like guichan, enet and physfs.

We do have a story though, but it isn't used yet ingame. There are some quests and lately the ingame-content is growing. This game is still pre-alpha, it used eAthena, a Ragnarok server emulator, for more than 4 years now, but the goal was always to develop our own server, which is developing nice at the moment. If you want to start a port I would recommend you to use the svn trunk client.

Back