One Turntable And A Mike

B-ZaR said:
Hey, just watched the video for the second time and a thought occurred. I think the default functionality of the full desktop should be configured to not rely on double clicks. They don't really work that well on a touch screen. Comments?

The touchscreen driver is the problem here. There are two drivers right now. One works great but can't be calibrated and the other one has problems with double taps. DJWillis is working on it, though.(This info is from ED on the German board http://forum.gp2x.de/viewtopic.php?p=104788&sid=cacf7f611f6a683fe45a905c3f7c61b6#p104788)

Last edited by a moderator:
WizardStan said:
A collection of crows is a murder.
A collection of cows is a herd.
A collection of hippies is a funk.
A collection of Pandoras should be... hmm... it should convey an air of geekiness, small in form but great in intellect...
Maybe a group of Pandoras should be a patience, because that's what we've been for the last year. :p

A patience of Pandoras.

Nice :)

Very nice Presentation.
I just plan to control Quake with right Analog-Nub for Mouse replacement and D-Pad for the WASD action, Triggers to jump and shoot. :) I hope the port support this config.

Alec  said:
Anyone got any CSI tools so that we could zoom and enhance? :p

31530106.jpg
Hehe, yes, the fabulous "Hollywood Zoom" can do miracles:

csizoomwxni.jpg

:lol:

mali said:
B-ZaR said:
Hey, just watched the video for the second time and a thought occurred. I think the default functionality of the full desktop should be configured to not rely on double clicks. They don't really work that well on a touch screen. Comments?

The touchscreen driver is the problem here. There are two drivers right now. One works great but can't be calibrated and the other one has problems with double taps. DJWillis is working on it, though.(This info is from ED on the German board http://forum.gp2x.de/viewtopic.php?p=104788&sid=cacf7f611f6a683fe45a905c3f7c61b6#p104788)

Yes, the touchscreen driver is why he has to tap things continuously, but even with a fully working touchscreen double clicks are not that nice. I actually don't remember ever using a touchscreen oriented UI that had double clicking as a major input method. Would there be any significant loss of functionality if the UI was more geared toward single clicks?

How would dragging a window work? The system would think you were double clicking the title bar, which IIRC would maximize the window?

Edit - curse my spelling!

B-ZaR said:
Yes, the touchscreen driver is why he has to tap things continuously, but even with a fully working touchscreen double clicks are not that nice. I actually don't remember ever using a touchscreen oriented UI that had double clicking as a major input method. Would there be any significant loss of functionality if the UI was more geared toward single clicks?
That's right. Single-tap-short-> left and single-tap-long-> right would be standard. And I'd also prefer a hidden cursor. The only reason for that double tap stuff might be mouse-over functionality.

Beepo said:
How would dragging a window work? The system would think you were double clicking the title bar, which IIRC would maximize the window?

Edit - curse my spelling!
Dragging would still work. Tap and release is double-click, tap and move while still touching the screen is drag :)

Anyone notice that when MWeston clicked on the screen he created a ripple?

If, after imparting this information to you good, good people, I don't post again - tell Angie I love her.

Unfathomable Depths said:
Anyone notice that when MWeston clicked on the screen he created a ripple?

If, after imparting this information to you good, good people, I don't post again - tell Angie I love her.

It's a resistive screen, there is a small layer over the actual display, it's how they work.

MonkeyChops said:
from pandorapress:
Notaz made a driver a long, long time ago that used the two nubs like this. One moved the mouse and the other scrolled. It was really cool except at that time the nub controller firmware was a mess and it was a bit erratic. That code needs to go back in now that the nubs work well as I would love that feature too.

comment_arr.gif
by MWeston December 11, 2009 at 3:16 am
Lol, I was just about to say have one the mouse ponter and the other one scroll in windows, like if the webpage is too big for the screen. Guess this is already being worked on.

dflemstr said:
mali said:
+1 for correct grammar.
-1 for incorrect grammar, because Pandora isn't Latin, it's Greek. The plural would (iirc, I don't really know ancient Greek) be something like "Pandorai."

Tom` said:
-1 for incorrect grammar, because Pandora isn't Latin, it's Greek. The plural would (iirc, I don't really know ancient Greek) be something like "Pandorai."
-1 for nitpicking :D
I thought about it first but seing that Pandora is the latin translation, it should still be ae ;)

My spell checker under lines both Pandoras, Pandorai, and Pandorae. I was all excited thinking I was spelling the plural of Pandora incorrectly. The dictionary in my computer says they are both wrong though.

So do you say Pandoras or Pandorai?

Pandora Pandora would work. Some languages do that. [sup][Citation needed][/sup]

Also, an unfold of Pandoras sounds good. As does a patience. But that's mean.

second exodous said:
My spell checker under lines both Pandoras, Pandorai, and Pandorae. I was all excited thinking I was spelling the plural of Pandora incorrectly. The dictionary in my computer says they are both wrong though.

So do you say Pandoras or Pandorai?
As it's all nonsense anyway, stick to Pandoras. That's plain English :)

mali said:
Tom` said:
-1 for nitpicking :D
I thought about it first but seing that Pandora is the latin translation, it should still be ae ;)
As long as we're nitpicking here... the Latin alphabet is not the Latin language. "Pandora" is just the transliteration of Πανδώρα into the Latin alphabet (not the Latin language - many other languages also use this alphabet, and in fact it's changed a good bit from common Roman usage, at least in classical times.) :p

edit: yeah, Pandoras is most appropriate, just like "octopuses" etc. (the correct Greek (not Latin) plural for that one is not "octopi," but "octopodes.")

Back