One Must Fall 2097

bhess

Website
Visit site
I was thinking back at all the games I used to play all the time on PC, and One Must Fall comes to mind. That was probably one of the best PC fighters made. Does anybody know if it will run under DOSbox?

I've gotten it to run under DOSBox but surprisingly it chugs. Turning off the sound helped(as usual).

I love this game though. :)

It's so stupid that they won't release OM2097's source. The game's a cult hit in the truest sense of the word, so there are god knows how many people who would like to see an enhanced port to their favorite system. The GP2X is an obvious target, but you could also think of commercial releases for PSP or NDS, maybe even Xbox Live Arcade. Heck, Diversions Entertainment might even make good money out of it, unlike the mediocre OMF Battlegrounds. I still don't quite understand the reason for their obstinacy; is it just Rob Elam's lack of confidence about his own code, or were there other (better) reasons?

I really shouldn't post at 11 p.m. after watching 10 straight episodes of Ah! My Goddess.

Yes I got it to run under DOSBox... but not on the GP2X... on the PC.

Being this is the GP32X forum I should have realized you were probably asking about the DOSBox for the 2X. Yeah, I'm stupid. Sorry about that. :eek:

http://www.omf.com/faq/misc.html
Halfway down the page...

Pity, though, as OMF was an absolutely awesome game...
Will Diversions release the source code to OMF:2097?
No.
Yes, that is known, but they don't give any reasons for it. The only reason I know is because Rob Elam (the game's programmer) thought OMF2097's code sucked and not worthy for public release. But that's a stupid reason, because that problem will solve itself when the code is released. I suspect there's something more going on, but hell if I know what it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
what about anb interpriter that could run the game? idk how excatly interpriters work but they do the trick for duke, quake, marathon etc...

No.
Yes, that is known, but they don't give any reasons for it. The only reason I know is because Rob Elam (the game's programmer) thought OMF2097's code sucked and not worthy for public release. But that's a stupid reason, because that problem will solve itself when the code is released. I suspect there's something more going on, but hell if I know what it is.
Why would anyone feel obliged to do so? It's not like anyone has the right to expect such a thing.

For sure one of my favorite games of all time. I remember saving up $50 (somehow) when I was 8 or 9 to get the game and the stradegy guide. Man, I can only wish someone will make a crapy clone of it someday..

what about anb interpriter that could run the game? idk how excatly interpriters work but they do the trick for duke, quake, marathon etc...
Those three games were just ported to the GP2X as they're all open source, and in all cases the GP2X port just built on a previous port project that was already underway for another platform.

Writing a black-box remake of this game would require first determining the data formats provided with the game, then trying to rebuild the game effectively from scratch. It's not impossible, but knowing the development standards back in the DOS era, it probably won't be very easy. Generally, projects like this proceed with a laborious disassembly of the game binaries and years of effort from talented developers.

Building a knockoff of this game would almost be easier than reverse engineering it, but there might be another port/remake project that's active that you could crib code from.

I agree with making a remake. I looked at the work that was done on the SSHP (system shock hack project) project on source forge. apparently hacking that game was a nightmare, and even the game they DO have running is just a tech demo of a map viewer. It's kinda sad, its possibly my favorite games of all time. it just has so much to do, and one of the weirdest GUI layouts I've ever seen.

No.
Why would anyone feel obliged to do so? It's not like anyone has the right to expect such a thing.
Well, they're certainly not obligated to release the source code... but they made the game freeware, and they link you to places where you can download it... it doesn't seem like they're concerned about losing money on it or anything. Either they don't want to take the time to bundle up the code and write a readme, or perhaps they lost the source code entirely (like what happened to Ultima VII).

It's too bad. OMF 2097 is still one of my favorite fighting games, even after all these years. I'd love to be able to play it on the GP2X.

--Zero

Back