OMAP4440 Dual Core

Zadak

Still Fresh
Looking at the specifications of the current SoC used by the pandora (I believe its the OMAP3530?)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Instruments_OMAP#OMAP3

Im wondering now why a OMAP4430 or OMAP4440 wasn't used since logically wouldn't it allow for better emulation?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Instruments_OMAP#OMAP4

I mean 1.5Ghz dual core, theoretically wouldn't that be good enough to allow the Pandora into the realm of PS2 emululation? It really should not be tottaly out of the question to make a beefy(er) Pandora. Another revision would be nice even if it is not now or soon.

▲ original

▼ edit

I AM NOT SAYING WE NEED A PANDORA REDESIGN NOW IM SAYING WHY IS EVERYONE FREAKING OUT WHEN ITS MENTIONED LIKE ITS BLASPHEMY.

We got the green light from TI to make a new unit with this SoC, yep, but it NEEDS a complete board redesign, it's no drop-in replacement or anything... so it'll take a few years.

▲ Is there a sticky somewhere that says this? cause there should be if there isn't...

EDITED: Fixed for clarity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im wondering now why a OMAP4430 or OMAP4440 wasn't used since logically wouldn't it allow for better emulation?
I may be mistaken, but I'm not sure that these were available in 2008.

ok, but now they are (right?). :)

So let us feel the power!

If you want to wait another 2 years...

Just take a look at the Panda Board and compare it with the Pandora's current board. That beast is complicated as hell and needs a complete redesign of the board, it will take ages before we even have the blueprints.

Next problem: Manufacturing. For such a complicated board you'll definitely need another board company, and that will surely end expensive.

Next problem: Availability. Do you know of any other devices using it? I don't. It will surely take forever to get the needed amount of chips from TI at this point. ARM just sells the blueprints, their CPUs need years before they actually hit the market.

Next problem: Battery. Guess what's left of 10 hours runtime when you combine the dualcore beast with our current battery?

And while we're already at modifying essential components: What about at least 2 gigs of RAM, an internal 250GB SSD and a nuclear reactor as battery replacement? Why don't we simply put a x86 quadcore in it? :mellow:

It has been discussed often enough.

ok, but now they are (right?). :)

So let us feel the power!
Will you write the notes to everyone that preordered telling them that their orders are pushed back several more months while OPT goes through additional revisions? Are you going to pay the extra development cost to be able to support them? Are you going to tell all of us who have received our Pandoras that we're going to get less than what people who paid the same amount of money after us for what was supposed to be the same product? Or perhaps you'll personally pay for all of us to get a free upgrade :D

If so, by all means, I agree with you 100%. If, however, you expect OPT to absorb the development costs, the complaints, etc... then I don't think I can support you in this endeavor.

Seriously, they need to at least make back their money on the existing revision before they can even start to think about making a Pandora 2.

It would be a logistical nightmare for OPT to upgrade, but could the end user do it, even if it would void the warranty and require a soldering gun?

It would be a logistical nightmare for OPT to upgrade, but could the end user do it, even if it would void the warranty and require a soldering gun?
The OMAP SoC is extremely hard to solder, aside from that I don't think the OMAP4440 can simply replace the OMAP 3 either. The board has to be redesigned.

If you want to wait another 2 years...

Just take a look at the Panda Board and compare it with the Pandora's current board. That beast is complicated as hell and needs a complete redesign of the board, it will take ages before we even have the blueprints.

Next problem: Manufacturing. For such a complicated board you'll definitely need another board company, and that will surely end expensive.

Next problem: Availability. Do you know of any other devices using it? I don't. It will surely take forever to get the needed amount of chips from TI at this point. ARM just sells the blueprints, their CPUs need years before they actually hit the market.

Next problem: Battery. Guess what's left of 10 hours runtime when you combine the dualcore beast with our current battery?

And while we're already at modifying essential components: What about at least 2 gigs of RAM, an internal 250GB SSD and a nuclear reactor as battery replacement? Why don't we simply put a x86 quadcore in it? :mellow:

It has been discussed often enough.

Oh ye of little faith... how did the current system come out huh? I believe they're including the developent costs in.

Will you write the notes to everyone that preordered telling them that their orders are pushed back several more months while OPT goes through additional revisions? Are you going to pay the extra development cost to be able to support them? Are you going to tell all of us who have received our Pandoras that we're going to get less than what people who paid the same amount of money after us for what was supposed to be the same product? Or perhaps you'll personally pay for all of us to get a free upgrade :D

If so, by all means, I agree with you 100%. If, however, you expect OPT to absorb the development costs, the complaints, etc... then I don't think I can support you in this endeavor.

Seriously, they need to at least make back their money on the existing revision before they can even start to think about making a Pandora 2.

You completely missed what I am talking about. Re-read my first post.

We got the green light from TI to make a new unit with this SoC, yep, but it NEEDS a complete board redesign, it's no drop-in replacement or anything... so it'll take a few years.

Thank God, I hope thats enough for all you unbelievers.

A little longer is no problem for me anyway, this is wonderful news!

Thank God, I hope thats enough for all you unbelievers.

A little longer is no problem for me anyway, this is wonderful news!
Going from Two Months to Two Years... how delightful.

Going from Two Months to Two Years... how delightful.

At least its out and it works exactly like they said.

Its amazing that this even worked in the first place who would of thought?

I think the Point everyone is trying to make is the current Pandora will last a few years at the least and an OMAP4 Pandora will take a few years to get into production at the least. You can order a current Pandora and use it for now until the OMAP4 Pandora is out in a few years.

Are there any devices that use the OMAP4 yet? I'm just curious not trolling. I thought it takes a few years before anyone uses cutting edge ARM chip.

Why are they trying to make that point in the first place as if I'm unable to understand that?

And thats not what I was asking anyway leave it as it is maybe some people are overly sensitive...

Since I plan to do just that... once I get a reply for the pre-order.

With a Pandora in my hands, waiting for a dual core replacement is an easy wait.

I agree I simply wanted to know if there was any serious talk about a new model. Since the last thread became flame war.

I mean you don't really want the project to stop here do you?

With a Pandora in my hands, waiting for a dual core replacement is an easy wait.
Words to live by. I wonder when the OMAP4 Pandora comes out if I'll be ready to set my OMAP3 Pandora aside. I probably won't think it is too weak I'll probably wait for someone to get another system emulated that I want, like the Game Cube, Dream Cast(if it can't on the current Pandora), or the PS2.

An HDMI out will have me buy it early though. Can you imaging being able to hook it up to your computer monitor and peripherals and using it as a desktop computer?

Back