Omap (+ Android!) Getting Some "commercial" Use

Could you also make the camera ISP pins of the OMAP3 accessible? Simple solder pads would do, just arrange them in a typical connector fashion and I can do the rest.
The OMAP3 has some nifty image processing capabilities, but neither the Pandora nor the Beagleboard seem to be fitted to use it. With the 3D- and processing capabilities of the OMAP there would finally be a decent mobile plattform for augmented reality applications.

'Hollenderster' said:
Could you also make the camera ISP pins of the OMAP3 accessible? Simple solder pads would do, just arrange them in a typical connector fashion and I can do the rest.
The OMAP3 has some nifty image processing capabilities, but neither the Pandora nor the Beagleboard seem to be fitted to use it. With the 3D- and processing capabilities of the OMAP there would finally be a decent mobile plattform for augmented reality applications.
mmm. never thought of that....

nice idea!

- keep em coming!!

- rick -

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd prefer headers over solder points as mentioned before.

I wouldn't mind if it was twice the width of the beagleboard, or 1.5 (1.5 would be pretty awesome), just so long as it's reasonably small. I'd prefer features over size. I also second that built in usb hub, that would also enable usb 1.1 support!
Analog video would be cool as well. maybe just via headers. I can build my own adaptor.

What I'd really like is easy support for an ePaper display as shown above. Though that's probably a bit specific of a request, and I could live without it.

'Kyosys' said:

I wouldn't mind if it was twice the width of the beagleboard, or 1.5 (1.5 would be pretty awesome), just so long as it's reasonably small. I'd prefer features over size. I also second that built in usb hub, that would also enable usb 1.1 support!
It will probably work out about 2 times the width of a beagle - maybe a little smaller. We could easily achieve all the things that have been mentioned in this thread so far (except for the pci slots)

My concern is keeping the price down but the quality up! So I'm going to be spending some time on the phone over the next few days...

c ya

Rick

'spinghed' said:
'Kyosys' said:

It will probably work out about 2 times the width of a beagle - maybe a little smaller. We could easily achieve all the things that have been mentioned in this thread so far (except for the pci slots)

My concern is keeping the price down but the quality up! So I'm going to be spending some time on the phone over the next few days...

c ya

Rick

I would suggest going with the Nano-ITX form factor; it leaves plenty of space to add extras and put solder points, while still being fairly small and would also make it very easy to find a case for it, since there is many Nano-ITX cases available already.

I would totally go for this. I'm trying to replace my aging power-hungry AMD home server/DVR/Asterisk appliance with something light, stable, and power-miserly. I keep wanting the beagleboard to be the solution, but I always run into "aw, but I'd have to add X". With your box, I could split the home server into about 3 different appliances (server, DVR, game machine) and still come out way, way ahead on power consumption.

I still may get a revC beagleboard for part of the home server stuff, though--I'm just itching to play with one. Not everything I'd use is in the Angstrom repository yet, but I played with bitbake enough in my Zaurus days I can probably whip the last few into shape. Although I dunno... I have really gotten used to EVMS, and I'm not sure how easy that is to port to the beagle/Angstrom environment (I'd guess not too bad; I'm just skeered). Also not sure how much encrypted file systems would anger a beagle.

When the revC beagleboard comes out I will almost certainly get one (unless the price level increases too much). It would be lovely to have that kind of setup available for my software hacking.

Back