Ohboy A Gameboy Color Emulator

dcoldwell

Still Fresh
Website
www.clockworkbytes.com
OhBoy is a Gameboy/Gameboy Color Emulator. Currently binaries are available for the GP2X Wiz. GP2X(F-xxx) and Pandora Support is planned.

It is based on gnuboy 1.0.3. The core sources have not been modified in any way but rather OhBoy provides a graphical front-end and GP2x-centric back-end tailored for portable gaming.

OhBoy is currently beta software and has been somewhat rushed in time for Christmas but I hope you enjoy.

Zip support currently does not seem to work. OhBoy will most likely exit cleanly if you attempt to load a zip.

Get It Here (GP32x File Archives.)

Excellent christmas present! :) Thanks a billion! My experience is that this works much better than I could get lemonboy to.. The sound/speed issues are gone, and colors works correctly in Donkey Kong Land :)

DusteD said:
Excellent christmas present! :) Thanks a billion! My experience is that this works much better than I could get lemonboy to.. The sound/speed issues are gone, and colors works correctly in Donkey Kong Land :)

Wow, that's great news. I'm going to install this when I get home. Lemonboy was in bad need of a replacement or fix to deal with the sound problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tristor said:
DusteD said:

Wow, that's great news. I'm going to install this when I get home. Lemonboy was in bad need of a replacement or fix to deal with the sound problems.

Lemonboy has made tremendous progress recently following this thread:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/50663-lemonboy2x-updated/

If you use Scale2x deformed video display the sound and speed work great in Lemonboy the only noticeable flaw in my opinion, is it does not support Super Game Boy palettes at the moment. Haven't tried OhBoy yet (will give it a go tonight) but I really like the new and improved Lemonboy. I just spent so much time configuring my 100+ games (all zipped) and each with its own preview image, it looks so pretty, I don't want to ditch it for a new emulator... haha... :p

Yep, I wonder where you've all been... the sound and tearing problems in Lemonboy are long fixed :)

But thanks for your work on OhBoy, there are still a few games that won't run on LemonBoy, always good to have another choice :)

EvilDragon said:
Yep, I wonder where you've all been... the sound and tearing problems in Lemonboy are long fixed :)

But thanks for your work on OhBoy, there are still a few games that won't run on LemonBoy, always good to have another choice :)

if thats the case if would be really odd since lemonboy was based on gnuboy 1.0.3.

EvilDragon said:

The sound still has a delay on Lemonboy it is just a bit less than before.

Thanks for your positive comments guys. I'm going to implement.
-bug-fixes (savestates disappearing bug)
-no scaler option
-fullscreen scalers (pixel average + squashed scale2x)
-rom browser page tabbing & wrapping
-(maybe) working zip support
expect it before the new year.
Edit: Doing a major re-write of the source-code to make future optimisations and porting easier.

This is awesome. I love the Dingoo emulator based on GNUboy but this doesn't tear. I would like the option to display in true black & white as well as the original GB LCD screen tones. The look of the menus are sweet too. zip support is a low priority for me since all gb and gbc roms ever are the same size as an album.

Thanks for putting the hours in.

PS. Is there any way t back out of this without switching the Wiz off?

*edit* Just found the colour options. Excellent job.

*edit2* Just ignore me. I've found out how to back out. Y button. I'm chuffed now.

UByte said:
-no scaler option
What about Preview implementation? That would get it neck and neck with Lemonboy in terms of aesthetics. Again, great work on the emulator. The colors and speed are great.

chickendung said:
UByte said:
-no scaler option
What about Preview implementation? That would get it neck and neck with Lemonboy in terms of aesthetics. Again, great work on the emulator. The colors and speed are great.

Rom & SaveState Previews are on the to-do list along with per-game settings. What I would like to do is while flicking through roms/states, the translucent background changes to the selected rom/state preview. What do you think?

UByte said:
chickendung said:
UByte said:
-no scaler option

Rom & SaveState Previews are on the to-do list along with per-game settings. What I would like to do is while flicking through roms/states, the translucent background changes to the selected rom/state preview. What do you think?

Sounds very nice. That would put the finishing touches on the UI.

Cool to see different GB/GBC emus out there.

Now if only the fullspeed GP2X Lynx emu was ported to Wiz we would have most of the main handhelds covered.

The emulator is working like a charm except for a weird "turbulence" , is like a vertical syncronization problem, not like the diagonal line tearing one, this is more like a vertical line.I saw this some time ago in GPFCE with normal launcher. The selection of colors are terrible imo, but that can be easily solved :)

Sound is perfect and 5/3x scale is wonderful :)

Thank you very much for this port. :)

Back