Oh My Dear Sweet F***** God

Azalin

What was that? It sounded like a, a sound of some
Website
www.loremaster.a-host.info
Don;t ask me how it happened, but i cracked the screen on my gp2x. (had batteries in the official carrying case, droped it, it cracked the fucking screen) Inlcuded is an image of the affected area:

10.jpg

Now, in that circled area, there is now a large star patterned crack. I dont think the LCD has been affected, unlesss that is the LCD >_>

Now then, is there anywhere i can get a new one of these plastic cover thingies that cracked? I ordered from gamersection.ca, and they wont fix or refund physical damage.
Will i need a new 2x?

You have all my sympathy, regarding whether the LCD is damaged or not, do you see rainbow like colors in the "star" location? if you don't your LCD is safe (you should not use your GP2X because your LCD is on the edge of being bricked, I had that with several mobile phones).

Guess you can get a plastic cover from EvilDragon, or at least he can tell you where you can get one.

If you are no screw driver geeky, I advice you to take your GP2X and the plastic cover once it arrives to a mobile phones maintenance shop, these guys are the best to fix such a thing.

Nope, no rainbow colors. Pfew, i just dissassembled the entire thing, but when i got the LCD, it did not seem to want to come out. So i re-assembled, made sure it still ran, and put it safely away. I heard that you could put glass in the gp32, is that an option for the 2x as well? or should i jsutg et one of these plastic covers from EvilDragon?

Glad your LCD is safe, congrats.

Glass can get cracked quicker, and it will be more dangerous if it did, add to this you will need a very thin layer of glass, which is really hard to find.

Am not sure ED has spare, but even if he doesn't, I guess it wont be that hard making one or getting it of a totally bricked 2X such as those that can be found on ebay (few people around have already fried their units, so with about $50 I guess you can get many spare parts of a bricked GP2X, you can even try case hacks/paint jobs on the spare parts :) )

Good luck.

The link you provided is not the same screen protector he is after. You want the HARD COVER PLASTIC screen protector. GP32z.com were the only ones who had it at the time and now they don't trade so not sure where else you can get them from.

As a quick fix, a remember ppl cutting CD cases to fit their GP32s. Might be a tad thick, but should do in the interim. If you get glass gut, at least for the GP32, I think it had to be 1 mil thick, at least for cosmetic reasons.

reaper79 posted on Sep 2 2006 at 09:07 AM said:
As a quick fix, a remember ppl cutting CD cases to fit their GP32s. Might be a tad thick, but should do in the interim. If you get glass gut, at least for the GP32, I think it had to be 1 mil thick, at least for cosmetic reasons.
Now that's homebrew.

I couldn't see any cracks in your picture, I opened it in Photoshop and adjusted levels, and still saw nothing. Anywho it's good to know your LCD wasn't damaged, consider yourself lucky :)

- Alex

Last edited by a moderator:
Azalin posted on Sep 2 2006 at 03:06 AM said:
Don;t ask me how it happened, but i cracked the screen on my gp2x. (had batteries in the official carrying case, droped it, it cracked the fucking screen) Inlcuded is an image of the affected area:

10.jpg

Now, in that circled area, there is now a large star patterned crack. I dont think the LCD has been affected, unlesss that is the LCD >_>

Now then, is there anywhere i can get a new one of these plastic cover thingies that cracked? I ordered from gamersection.ca, and they wont fix or refund physical damage.
Will i need a new 2x?

Lol, that same thing happened to me, except I did start seeing rainbow colors..even though the lcd was shape, something to do with the cleavage of the crack.

Yeah, i took that picture to ask if that WAS the LCD, and then cracked it afterwards. I don;t have a DC at home, otherise i would take a photo of the damage.

So, a bricked one off ebay would do the trick eh? that sounds like a better idea then glass. While i'm here, do you have to go all the way through the 2x top get the protector off, and remove the LCD, and if so how do you get the lcd out, is it glued on?

Azalin posted on Sep 2 2006 at 02:02 PM said:
Yeah, i took that picture to ask if that WAS the LCD, and then cracked it afterwards. I don;t have a DC at home, otherise i would take a photo of the damage.

So, a bricked one off ebay would do the trick eh? that sounds like a better idea then glass. While i'm here, do you have to go all the way through the 2x top get the protector off, and remove the LCD, and if so how do you get the lcd out, is it glued on?

Ya the lcd is glued on, and some people have said that running a hair dryer over the top will loosen the protector's glue, so you dont have to open the case. I personally never tried that though... But don't ever use a screwdriver and just try to yank the protector out, you'll warp the plastic of the case. but you can actually use one to get the lcd off, from the inside. That is, after you opened it...

Azalin posted on Sep 2 2006 at 02:37 PM said:
So just run a screwdriver aournd the underside of the LCD very VERY gently to get it to come off?

Ya, VERY GENTLY...note emphasis... Just don't the same thing to the lcd protector on the front face, screwdriver tips kill plastic...

Well, thank you all for your kind help in my hour of need. Feel free to turn to my thread in the general forum to see how my solution panned out!

And yes,i'll be placing credits in for those suggestions that i used ;)

Loubear posted on Sep 2 2006 at 02:40 PM said:
Azalin posted on Sep 2 2006 at 02:37 PM said:
So just run a screwdriver aournd the underside of the LCD very VERY gently to get it to come off?

Ya, VERY GENTLY...note emphasis... Just don't the same thing to the lcd protector on the front face, screwdriver tips kill plastic...

... also, gently heat the screen cover with a hair dryer.

Back