Offical Blog: When In Panic, Fear Or Doubt ...

Its so much more than a shiny phone. I have an iPhone, and im considering selling it and just getting a small phone that will do data once my Pandora arrives. This device will do everything I could possibly need, now. I can even be oncall and fix problems at work with it, it really is a Pandora's box, the possibilities are limitless.

I saw the image on wikipedia at http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/18/PandoraFront.JPG and all I can say is wow. Awesomesauce!

So Mweston should have the 3rd revision in about two weeks if the Chinese company keeps to their word?

Phawx said:
So Mweston should have the 3rd revision in about two weeks if the Chinese company keeps to their word?
Should only be 3 or 4 days, if they ship it out today. The 2 weeks have been the total turnaround time from receiving the case, identifying a fault, informing the factory and waiting for the next ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait, I thought Craig posted an email from them that says the should finish the new revision by the 15th, has there been new news that they will be shipping today?

atomicthumbs said:
I bought an axe and the handle broke and I threw it out and bought a new one
Careful how to throw those things.
There's an old woodcutters' saying. "Look after your axe!".

edit:Typo

Phawx said:
Wait, I thought Craig posted an email from them that says the should finish the new revision by the 15th, has there been new news that they will be shipping today?
Oh dang. Sorry, I'm all screwed up again. You're right.

Iorgy77 said:
Was it a Chinese Axe? Probably why it broke in the first place...
Nah, it can't be chinese. The mould for the axe wouldn't be finished by now. :lol:

Well, the shitstorm seems to have passed but I should add a final word to it anyway. I spent too many tired, cranky hours in front of the internet yesterday and it showed in more than one post. Apologies for pulling out the T word too hastily. In my defence, sbock has always come across to me as fairly anti-Pandora. Nothing wrong with that, but when anti-Pandora people appear in Pandora threads to talk timelines, of course it can come across as trollish. But I agree that being anti-Pandora does not in itself make someone a troll.

I maintain that bringing 2007 into a timeline discussion is a little unfair. It doesn't matter if this thing was conceived in 1997; they took payments in late 2008. It was from that point forward that our cash (and emotions!) were invested in the project. We had nothing on the line in 2007 / early 2008, so we can't use that time period as ammo.

Once again, apologies to sbock, and to everyone else for what happened to the thread. I could have just replied to gibberish's post diplomatically but I got snappy instead, and dragged other people into it. INTERNET!

Gruso said:
Well, the shitstorm seems to have passed but I should add a final word to it anyway. I spent too many tired, cranky hours in front of the internet yesterday and it showed in more than one post. Apologies for pulling out the T word too hastily. In my defence, sbock has always come across to me as fairly anti-Pandora. Nothing wrong with that, but when anti-Pandora people appear in Pandora threads to talk timelines, of course it can come across as trollish. But I agree that being anti-Pandora does not in itself make someone a troll.

I maintain that bringing 2007 into a timeline discussion is a little unfair. It doesn't matter if this thing was conceived in 1997; they took payments in late 2008. It was from that point forward that our cash (and emotions!) were invested in the project. We had nothing on the line in 2007 / early 2008, so we can't use that time period as ammo.

Once again, apologies to sbock, and to everyone else for what happened to the thread. I could have just replied to gibberish's post diplomatically but I got snappy instead, and dragged other people into it. INTERNET!

Thanks for your apologies, accepted.

To the rest of your post: I disagree. (But I think that's no surprise for you)
And the simply fact that I read about someone is "anti-whatever" makes me sad. That's one of the reasons I'm really no fan of the Pandora. Look what happened to this community...
One last thing, believe me or not: The story that the Pandora is a different console as the one announced 2007 is completely new to me. And I read all about the development of the Pandora at that time. I even was a mod on the German boards. So perhaps I have missed that announcement. But, even the guys who have written the Pandora Wikipedia article have missed that. So you really can't blame me...

Over, and out...

Regards,
Stephan

atomicthumbs said:
I bought an axe and the handle broke and I threw it out and bought a new one

Nice to see a fellow Mac user. Hi!

im getting malicious software link alert from chrome.

MODS PLEASE?

DroneB Dev said:

MODS PLEASE?

banjeed's avatar, the site
Code:
http://mikekeon.com/
is listed by Google as being potentially harmful. And it is harmful. I just went to the site and Avast! picked up an intrusion attempt and blocked the connection.

sbock said:
The story that the Pandora is a different console as the one announced 2007 is completely new to me.
I suppose it depends on what you mean by "announced". If you go back to the big Our New Machine The Pandora thread in August 07, there was nothing announced other than the idea to make something called a "Pandora". The SoC wasn't decided, or even whether or not it would have a keypad. At that point, the only part that had been nailed down was the 800x480 display. Prior to that, Craig had been discussing the idea of making essentially a next-gen GP2X. It was basically the same design as the GP2x, with the obvious problems fixed and a next-gen MES processor. That was when they contracted some fly-by-night company to design the thing for them, and they made of with something like $30,000 without producing anything usable.

As far as I can tell, the first render and actual details (still not final, but close) of what could be considered an actual Pandora were shown on or around Dec. 20 07. At least that's when the first thread complaining about it showed up. Since then, the case has received several minor modifications, we've gotten a new SoC with twice the RAM and NAND storage, the keypad was redesigned, the analog nubs had to be redesigned and manufactured from scratch, and bluetooth has been added. It's been evolving the whole time.

Chip said:
sbock said:
The story that the Pandora is a different console as the one announced 2007 is completely new to me.
I suppose it depends on what you mean by "announced". If you go back to the big Our New Machine The Pandora thread in August 07, there was nothing announced other than the idea to make something called a "Pandora". The SoC wasn't decided, or even whether or not it would have a keypad. At that point, the only part that had been nailed down was the 800x480 display. Prior to that, Craig had been discussing the idea of making essentially a next-gen GP2X. It was basically the same design as the GP2x, with the obvious problems fixed and a next-gen MES processor. That was when they contracted some fly-by-night company to design the thing for them, and they made of with something like $30,000 without producing anything usable.

As far as I can tell, the first render and actual details (still not final, but close) of what could be considered an actual Pandora were shown on or around Dec. 20 07. At least that's when the first thread complaining about it showed up. Since then, the case has received several minor modifications, we've gotten a new SoC with twice the RAM and NAND storage, the keypad was redesigned, the analog nubs had to be redesigned and manufactured from scratch, and bluetooth has been added. It's been evolving the whole time.

Thanks for this nice history lesson but read my post again. I knew all this facts. In the posting at the thread you've closed ED announced a console for the end of 2007. That's a fact for me. He even told me via PM about the keyboard, so his response is clearly not precise.
So he refers to a completely different project in his announcement. OK. That's his point of view. This point of view is complete new to me. And i disagree.
Is that a reason for you to call me a troll and close the thread?

@all
Now it is on me to say sorry at all Pandora fans to be off topic again.

fischju2000 said:
DroneB Dev said:

MODS PLEASE?

banjeed's avatar, the site
Code:
http://mikekeon.com/
is listed by Google as being potentially harmful. And it is harmful. I just went to the site and Avast! picked up an intrusion attempt and blocked the connection.

Fixed! and thanks for the headsup. That was a personal site that appears to have been hacked (or wrongly listed in Google's filter). I've uploaded to a new site and they're looking into the problem. As a side note to the Mod who informed me, thanks, and I can help you with that bedside manner if you're interested.

Back