OE/Bitbake settings to use to build Angstrom images?

Capn_Fish

What "device" (or whatever the line is, for instance the Zaurii have line like "akita," "spitz," and "corgi") do I use to build the cross toolchain/packages/images for the Pandora? I looked in the list on the OE website, but noting immediately jumped out at me.

I'd like to have my cross toolchain built ahead of time, so that when I get my Pandora, I can just build away instead of waiting for all of the dev packages to build first.

Thanks.

This is an excellent question; I too would like to get my build environment set up. I've gotten the OpenEmbedded environment configured properly previously to build images for my IPAQ and could always test stuff there, I think.

I'd imagine you could do a built of one of the other OpenEmbedded-supported systems with Gmenu included and run it within a virtualized environment if you wanted to use as an example.

I meant I want the correct (armv7a, if I'm not mistaken) toolchain built before I get the Pandora. The box I have set up for builds is rather slow (1GHz), and just building a Zaurus toolchain today has taken a long while (5+ hours).

I guess by "device" I meant to ask what the MACHINE setting is. I suppose asking in the OE or Angstrom IRC channel may be a better bet.

Here is the local.conf file I use to build BeagleBoard images:

Code:
# Where to store sources
DL_DIR = "/home/ldesnogu/work/beagle/OE/downloads"

INHERIT += " rm_work "

ASSUME_PROVIDED += "gdk-pixbuf-csource-native imagemagick-native librsvg-native"

# Which files do we want to parse:
BBFILES := "/home/ldesnogu/work/beagle/OE/org.openembedded.dev/packages/*/*.bb"
BBMASK = ""

# What kind of images do we want?
IMAGE_FSTYPES += " tar.gz "

# Set TMPDIR instead of defaulting it to $pwd/tmp
TMPDIR = "/home/ldesnogu/work/beagle/OE/${DISTRO}-tmp"

# Make use of my SMP box
PARALLEL_MAKE = "-j1"
BB_NUMBER_THREADS = "1"

#tinderbox
#INHERIT += "oestats-client"
OESTATS_BUILDER      = "ldesnogu"

DISTRO = "angstrom-2008.1"

MACHINE = "beagleboard"

Yes, thank you much! I suppose only time will tell if said images work on the Pandora.

The images in the default state probably won't completely work since the pandora has a different display output specs (among other things) but the core of it probably would work. It also depends on the drivers that are built in to support the SD card slots, etc. A beagleboard machine type would certainly need some customization.

If evildragon and the other devs are already working on it, though, I'm sure it is only a short matter of time (if it isn't already done) that they would push the new machine type and its specific modules upstream and tell us what we need to build our own pandora roms to test in an emulated environment.

Either way, I'm going to try to get my openembedded environment set up for beagleboard so that I can play with an image tomorrow :).

most recipes built for the beagleboard are actually build for the proper arm arch, not beagleboard specific, so will run on the pandora; likewise building the bb toolchain will probably give you most of what you need for the pandora toolchain.

Some GUI apps will still need adapting for the small screen, but for others the work will already have been done by the oe people for other small devices, and of course the CLI apps will be safe :)

Now the bad news: not all of the oe recipes actually work flawlessy for every arch; some may still need work.

So long as the toolchain is the same I'm good for now.

As for apps working poorly on the small screen, well, I'm used to that :)

Back