Nubs don't work at all :(

LolCattes

Still Fresh
Hi,

Only just got my Pandora (about a week or two ago), to begin with the left nub worked to move the mouse in xfce as expected.

After a few reboots, the left nub started behaving strangely - I couldn't get the cursor to go upwards or right.

Then, it seemed that the nub would get "stuck" with the cursor going to the right or downwards, so the pointer would always end up off the screen.

Now, the nubs just don't work at all. I've tried resetting both nubs, changing them to Joystick mode in the nub settings menu, and input tester still shows no movement whatsoever.

Is there anything else I can/should try?

Are they unresponsive in games, for example, N64 games via Mupen64?
Well, I don't know the N64 (didn't own one at the time) so I don't know which games should and shouldn't support analogue input, but I tried Mupen64 with "Mega Man 64", and no, both nubs have no effect in that game - they do nothing at all, either in the menus or in the game itself.

Oops, yeah I haven't tried every game sorry. Forget what I said in my previous post, please. :unsure:

Anyway, reflashing and the instructions are available here.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I've reflashed from the file at the link you gave... sadly no effect.

No response from either nub in Input Tester :(

Is it RMA time then?

Also, the battery life doesn't seem so good... people mention 30 hours in low-power mode, but mine can't manage even a day like that.

I've written down some data about the battery (what times I put it on and off charge and how much charge was reported), I need to make a graph and then I'll post it.

You need to configure your nubs as joysticks then spend a while (>2min) minutes playing around in the input tester. Unfortunately I don't have A Pandora on hand so you'll have to figure out how to do all this yourself.

OK, I put both nubs into Joystick mode via Settings -> Nubs in Xfce, then spent a solid 3 minutes doing circles and up/down/left/right movements with them in Input Tester.

Nothing. Not even a pixel's worth.

Now that I have a phone capable of making vids - I'm going to visually document my nub problems and post in the support section. I'll be doing this when I get back to Coffee Bay next week sometime... I still have one more festival to tackle this weekend.

Wifi seems to be working fine, but still have to check speeds when I'm in an area that has decent 3G connectivity (wifi hotspot tethering)

... So it seems I have an absolutely perfect Pandora apart from the right nub and some very negligible case flaws.

I suggest you also make a vid of you trying everything suggested to get your nubs working... because it certainly does sound like you need to RMA. :mellow:

So, you've done the nub-dance?
I've done the nub-dance. A lot.

Wifi seems to be working fine, but still have to check speeds when I'm in an area that has decent 3G connectivity (wifi hotspot tethering)

... So it seems I have an absolutely perfect Pandora apart from the right nub and some very negligible case flaws.
Ah, it sucks you have nublems too :(

I suggest you also make a vid of you trying everything suggested to get your nubs working... because it certainly does sound like you need to RMA. :mellow:
I have a digital camera that can take video, so I could do this if it's necessary...

If it's giving any problems that,just return back to germany that's where the repair are done,evildragon should sort it out.

I have 2 questions

The screen keeps on turning off when you leave it few minutes,how can i make it infinity?

How can i set it to low battery for longer hours?

I have 2 questions

The screen keeps on turning off when you leave it few minutes,how can i make it infinity?

How can i set it to low battery for longer hours?
You should ask those questions in a thread appropriate to them.

This is not it.

Also, those aren't really "support" questions, are they?

If you'd read the documentation you could have answered them yourself.

Well i told you what to do,no one will able to help you in a problem your unit has,it looks to me you have faulty pandora,some of the them did have problems.

Is your unit the first batch before January 2011.

I'm not sure exactly when it was made (it was only shipped very recently) but it does say "First Batch" on the sticker under the battery, yes.

I agree with you that it does look like a hardware problem, but before I can ship it to ED or Craig I'd need their agreement to do so,

otherwise I might end up paying for the repair myself...

Funny how after reading this thread earlier today, both of my pandora's nubs failed to work. So I resetted them several times and was successful in restoring their function at one point but now they are starting to work improperly again.(edit: or not work at all :( )

Anyone know if replacement nubs can be bought? :unsure:

They're apparently hard to replace. From http://pandorawiki.org/Nubs:

Removing the nubs from the PCB is difficult. They are mounted using cut-off plated through holes butted onto pads (fairly standard SMT technology). Just using solder wick will not be sufficient, and if you are not extremely careful, you will rip the pads off the nub or the board.

Back