Nub Issue.

got_wot said:
Really guys, are you really complaining that the Half of the Pandora that you really shouldn't be messing with anyway is held more securely than the part with all the hardware/space?
Why shouldn't I be messing with my property?

MWeston said:
mvickers03 said:
It's just double sided Adhesive to make the bezel sit flush with the bottom of the screen. Many laptop manufacturers do this, including HP. unless there is more glue I didn't see
No, that's it. There's no extra glue. The speakers have an adhesive ring around the edge to keep them in the lid front when putting it together too.

The real problem is that the lid front was designed with a bazillion clips that hold it into the back and we can't pull it apart without snapping it to pieces or shattering the glass of the LCD. We should consider getting rid of those clips in the mold at a later date. That would make it more serviceable for everyone.

As a hardware guy I would love it if someone in the know could give details as to where the bazillion clips are because I plan on using that free io line in the lid.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've dissassembled plenty of handheld devices with double sided tape and plastic capture clips.
I'd say that the majority of LCD's have double sided foam or plastic tape in them.
Its all a matter of the proper dissassembly tools, usually including thin plastic wedges and strips applied in the right places.
There are TONS of dissassembly videos and step by steps for these things on the internet.

I think people may not realize exactly how SMALL the Pandora is.
Small makes for tight tolerances and fragile subassemblies.

Perhaps OP could allow an experienced dissassembler to attend an assembly session to help develop a reasonably safe procedure.

I bought this kit, and the wedge tools are great for this purpose:
http://www.amazon.com/Opener-Screwdriver-Opening-BlackBerry-Blackberry/dp/B002EXHR1Q/ref=pd_cp_e_1

People, it's one thing to want to take apart something you bought (god knows I've done it myself on occasion to fix something or just for the hell of it)
but to complain that the device was not made for it?
Imagine what would have happened if they made it more "hacking friendly", the first few posts from people who got it would have been along the lines of:
"The case feels a little wobbly, it feels like a kit more than a product..." etc.

There would be no end to the whining.

All in all, I'll go with this thread's whining over the other kind any day..

mvickers03 said:
No I stuck them on myself yesterday when helping the team ;)
Oh sorry, I didn't get that connection. Good to have someone here who has already seen the inside :)

Thanks to MWeston for expaining, too :)

Really, quit whining, people. If you want to take your lid apart, I'm sure its possible - but in order to make it a quality experience for those who want a *solid* device to use to play games or actually *USE* (and not just hack around with), the lid had to be designed to be firmly closed, properly.

I, for one, am glad that the LCD section/lid is tight and secure. Nothing worse than having stuff rattle around (Touchbook, I'm looking at you) .. though the Touchbook is a pretty good example of open hardware, I have to admit (no tools required to get inside it, all user-servicable parts inside) ..

"Whining", "bitching", "whinging", "moaning" are my favourites to be added to the spam-word filter.

Stop [*I AM STUPID SPAMMER*] !

Yeah, definitely looks much better and it should cut down some traffic.

Problem identified, discussed, solved, next one please.

Point of clarity request. While it's true that some people want to mod inside the LCD-containing lid, and are dissapointed by the fact that it is glued, I beleive most of the comments are aimed at what Craig has said. To boil it down ever so slightly for the sake of clarity, but without modifying a word much less a sentence:

craigix said:
Do you want to open the case at all?

craigix said:
Well, we will know if you have opened it, it's pretty much impossible to hide the fact as it's glued together inside.

It SEEMS to me that we have had this contradicted/corrected now, but I don't think it would hurt to be out-and-out clear on the matter, if anyone from OpenPandora felt like stating that the lower "half" of the case is NOT glued rather than talking about the upper half? In your own time.

MWeston said:
The real problem is that the lid front was designed with a bazillion clips that hold it into the back and we can't pull it apart without snapping it to pieces or shattering the glass of the LCD. We should consider getting rid of those clips in the mold at a later date. That would make it more serviceable for everyone.
If you're talking about those tabs around the edge of the bezel, that'd be a good move. It would also save the inevitable scuffing of the inside edge of the lid during assembly.

Can someone officially reply to the following question: does opening the bottom part op the pandora void the warranty? If the answer is yes: why?
The lid, I understand why it would, but I have yet to hear Craigix or someone else say that opening the pandora will void the warranty, because there's nothing clear about that and I think it's quite important.
thanks

^ Afaik, according to European laws, the warranty isn't lost if a defect isn't related to opening the case. Companies put warranty stickers everywhere in the past, but even if they were broken, it didn't affect the general warranty so they don't even use those stickers any more, at least on my laptops I bought in the last years.

The gist I'm getting is that if you are comfortable trying to fix an issue then you are OK to do so for the time being at least while they are busy. If you are uncomfortable with trying the repair and don't mind loosing the Pandora for a while then you are welcome to send it back. If you open up the unit then decided you don't feel up to the task you can close it up and send it back. It seems like issue the original poster was describing has been seen before during assembly.

You have to remember that this whole project is rather shaky in terms of warranty. It has been designed from the start that some people will want to mod them , I would hope that they will honour a warranty as long as the fault wasn't caused by your mod.
I think when Craig said that the screen wasn't user serviceable I think he meant from an end user perspective, if there is a problem involving the screen then an end user will not be able to solve the problem. The Original Posters fault however may just be something blocking the d-pad in which case they may be able to just remove the obstruction.

At the end of the day for the time being at least I think the best thing anyone can do for any problems at the moment is to just post them in this forum and one of the OP Team will make a judgement call. It also helps educate other users as to what they can do with their problems.

craigix said:
Sphinxter said:
So you advise people to fix their dpad and sticky shoulder buttons after you glued the case shut? That's so idiotic and fucked up I don't know where to start.

If they want to try to fix it they can try, the unit does belong to them and it is possible to fix the dpad issue. But it's up to the user. There is nothing idiotic about giving advice on how to do it.

can I just ask why you decided to glue to Pandora case together? I thought being an open source/open everything console you might make it easier for people to mod there Pandora because if it is glued shut then it might damage the case when you try to open it?

edit: my mistake should really learn to read all the posts before replying to a post doh! :)

Nuron_V said:
You have to remember that this whole project is rather shaky in terms of warranty.

Why is that? There are laws and it's not because it's a "cool, community driven project, running linux" that the laws don't apply.
I would just like an official statement regarding the warranty and the "what if I decide to open the case".

Nuron_V said:
You have to remember that this whole project is rather shaky in terms of warranty. It has been designed from the start that some people will want to mod them , I would hope that they will honour a warranty as long as the fault wasn't caused by your mod.

MWeston said:
WizardStan said:
I can't remember the exact quote, but we were told that opening it up wouldn't void the warranty as long as you you were reasonable.
I seriously don't think anyone can honestly expect warranty if you start soldering or cramming stuff inside the case. Even with the best of intentions something can go wrong and that shouldn't be on us to fix. Hell, I've gotten boards back from the factory with little solder balls rolling around the board like a game of pinball and they're supposed to be the pros. An accident like that from a customer could fry something, the ball could roll off during shipping and then we're stuck with the bill replacing the entire PCB because we can't tell what happened. The hacker stuff inside is there for people who don't care about warranty and will mod anyway, like they do with PSPs I see with nasty lights everywhere. :)

I tried searching the forum for a comment about warranty from Craig but I didn't find anything. The search feature doesn't seem to work well. I know forum users have made up this statement as fact just because that is what they wanted but that doesn't make it true. The EXT port is a more accessible mod feature that doesn't break warranty unless abused (beat with a hammer, probed with a stun gun!) but it is protected against short circuits and ESD up to +/- 15kV (HBM) in order to be as robust as realistically possible.

Murff said:
Nuron_V said:
You have to remember that this whole project is rather shaky in terms of warranty.

Why is that? There are laws and it's not because it's a "cool, community driven project, running linux" that the laws don't apply.
I would just like an official statement regarding the warranty and the "what if I decide to open the case".

No what I mean it works like any other warranty, if you use it as normal and don't mod it then you will get a standard warranty. However if make your own additions or changes to the hardware it isn't how it rolled out of the factory.

I suppose its like buying a new car, you can open up the bonnet to change and maintain all the user serviceable bits and if it broke after 9 months you would still be covered by the warranty. However if you attached a turbo to the engine and took it back with problems 9 months later they wouldn't want to honour the warranty or at least warranty relating to the areas you had altered.

The Pandora is a grey area as it has been said from the start that people will be modding it and it does have provisions built in to it for that purpose.

We really do need an Official Statement to clear this up

Anyway after a couple of days of wearing in the dpad appears to be working just fine!

Pleng said:
Anyway after a couple of days of wearing in the dpad appears to be working just fine!

A lot of DPads and sticks are a bit stiff at the beginning. :)

About opening the lid: It certainly is possible. I opened a few lids as I needed to replace a broken speaker.
It is NOT RECOMMENDED THOUGH! You can easily scratch or break the case or - even worse - break the LCD.

Also, there is nothing in there except for the speakers, the LCD and the WiFi antenna. And there certainly is no space for anything else :)

Last edited:
Back