Dosbox: Problems With Nub Input

zapman

Surprisingly, I haven't found anything on the boards about a huge problem there is with doxbox, so I started this thread:

Touch input doesn't work very well with doxbox, so you have to stick to the nubs to play games like 'Master of Orion' or 'Master of Magic': the left nub moves the mouse pointer, the right nub handles the mouse clicks: LMB, RMB, MMB and doubleclick.

Now the problem is, that the right nub, when doing a left click, also moves the mouse pointer a bit; mostly upwards. That way you can seldomly click on spots you intend which leads to the point where MOO isn't really playable anymore..

Is that problem known? Is there a fix?

Thx for your help!

PS: This problem only occurs in dosbox, I have never had any problems like that on other games or programs.

zapman said:
Surprisingly, I haven't found anything on the boards about a huge problem there is with doxbox, so I started this thread:

Touch input doesn't work very well with doxbox, so you have to stick to the nubs to play games like 'Master of Orion' or 'Master of Magic': the left nub moves the mouse pointer, the right nub handles the mouse clicks: LMB, RMB, MMB and doubleclick.

Now the problem is, that the right mouse button, when doing a left click, also moves the mouse pointer a bit; mostly upwards. That way you can seldomly click on spots you intend which leads to the point where MOO isn't really playable anymore..

Is that problem known? Is there a fix?

Thx for your help!

PS: This problem only occurs in dosbox, I have never had any problems like that on other games or programs.

Maybe i broke something when trying to get the touchscreen to work. I have these games so I will test it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pickle, did you find any hickup in the doxBox code?

Don't want to push you, yet I do want to push you :rolleyes:

zapman said:
Pickle, did you find any hickup in the doxBox code?

Don't want to push you, yet I do want to push you :rolleyes:

Sorry i didnt get to it yet, such is life :-/
I will try for this weekend.

I noticed that bug as well when I tried Warcraft 2, made the game really annoying to play. I'm happy that Warcraft 2 seemed to run well though, albeit a little slow :)

Jdbye said:
I noticed that bug as well when I tried Warcraft 2, made the game really annoying to play. I'm happy that Warcraft 2 seemed to run well though, albeit a little slow :)

have you tried wargus?

not a great fix but I map my shoulder buttons to mouseclicks and if you move the mouse the the corner of the screen with the stylus and bring it back down, it kind of calibrates it.

Well, when Pickle finds some more time (currently he's working on the awesome PickleLauncher), he'll probably start updating his ports that use touchscreen with the patch from DJWillis.
Then no more out-of-sync issues... Pretty please? :D :D

EvilDragon said:
Well, when Pickle finds some more time (currently he's working on the awesome PickleLauncher), he'll probably start updating his ports that use touchscreen with the patch from DJWillis.

what i thought you were a porting expert now ;-)
so many things to do....anyone got a clone machine yet?

Pickle said:
EvilDragon said:
what i thought you were a porting expert now ;-)

Not... quite.
I have no idea what I'm doing. Also, I'm using cpasjuste's toolchain which doesn't like to work with some programs... and I didn't manage to setup DJWillis' yet :)

so many things to do....anyone got a clone machine yet?

I'd take one! Instead of producing the Pandora, we could clone it then :D

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
I have no idea what I'm doing. Also, I'm using cpasjuste's toolchain which doesn't like to work with some programs... and I didn't manage to setup DJWillis' yet :)

i havnt used either of those, i always used the CSL's

Pickle said:

What's CSL? Maybe it's the reason some things like Super Mario War freeze occasionally?
As said, happened with Wesnoth, too, and Ivanovic's port doesn't do that.

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
Pickle said:

What's CSL? Maybe it's the reason some things like Super Mario War freeze occasionally?
As said, happened with Wesnoth, too, and Ivanovic's port doesn't do that.

CodeSourcery toolchains, it could be the reason

MonkeyChops said:
not a great fix but I map my shoulder buttons to mouseclicks and if you move the mouse the the corner of the screen with the stylus and bring it back down, it kind of calibrates it.
Could I ask how you remapped your shoulder button? [EDIT] Nevermind, I figured it out. If anyone else it curious, you just remap it like you would anything else in Dosbox: press Ctrl+F1, click "leftclick", click "add", and press the shoulder button. I can finally play Ishar! (although I'll probably die a lot until Dosbox's touchscreen is patched. Silly game controls! :p)

I'm having similar problems with a usb mouse. When I click (even with the mouse removed from any surface), the pointer jumps (sometimes a little, somtimes halfway across the screen). Using the shoulder button for mouse clicks works well though. The shoulder button worked the first time I set it up, next time I ran dosbox it had the same problem as the mouse.

Probably related to the feature/bug of how SDL handles custom pointers. When using a custom pointer, it doesn't sync the touchscreen and mouse the way it does when using a regular pointer. There's a workaround, but it needs to be implemented in every piece of software that uses SDL.
(It's a feature because it was actually designed like that on purpose. It's a bug because I disagree with the design :p)

It seems to work fine... in Ubuntu (on the Pandora). Is it a difference with SDL versions then?

I found out was causes the annoying behaviour of the mouse coursor in dosBox:

It's the ticked setting "retain aspect ratio" found in dboxFE -> System -> Render. Putting a checkmark here will display the dos game without any black borders at the top or bottom and makes it use all 480 pixel vertically. That's reallyreallyreally great looking but on the downside the nub-input is beeing f**ed up.

Is ther any way you could please fix that, Pickle? The scaling looks so much better than the smaller screen surrounded by big black borders..

EDIT: Actually, it seems that the 'retain aspect ratio' setting makes totally sense. Without it, the video output is distorted (at least with all games I tried: Colonization, alone in the dark 1 and 2, Quarantine, magic carpet, Master of orion, master of magic). The ratio should be 4:3 which it isn't if the 'retain aspect ratio' isn't checked.

From http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Dosbox.conf :
aspect = true | false
Do aspect correction. It only affects non-square pixel modes like VGA Mode 13h, which has a resolution of 320x200 pixels and is used by many DOS games (DOOM, etc). Recommended as such games were designed for 4:3 displays, and without aspect correction will look distorted and not as the developer intended.

Default is false.

zapman said:
I found out was causes the annoying behaviour of the mouse coursor in dosBox:

It's the ticked setting "retain aspect ratio" found in dboxFE -> System -> Render. Putting a checkmark here will display the dos game without any black borders at the top or bottom and makes it use all 480 pixel vertically. That's reallyreallyreally great looking but on the downside the nub-input is beeing f**ed up.

Is ther any way you could please fix that, Pickle? The scaling looks so much better than the smaller screen surrounded by big black borders..

EDIT: Actually, it seems that the 'retain aspect ratio' setting makes totally sense. Without it, the video output is distorted (at least with all games I tried: Colonization, alone in the dark 1 and 2, Quarantine, magic carpet, Master of orion, master of magic). The ratio should be 4:3 which it isn't if the 'retain aspect ratio' isn't checked.

From http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Dosbox.conf :
aspect = true | false
Do aspect correction. It only affects non-square pixel modes like VGA Mode 13h, which has a resolution of 320x200 pixels and is used by many DOS games (DOOM, etc). Recommended as such games were designed for 4:3 displays, and without aspect correction will look distorted and not as the developer intended.

Default is false.

Bump bump! Pickle, could you please have a look and fix the issue with the wrong aspect ratio/ incorrect nubinput?

Back