Now Hear This

sardaukar posted on Aug 1 2006 at 11:17 PM said:
I will have THE BABY of whoever ports a DooM engine capable of running Strife, Hexen and Heretic. Like ... Vavoom.

:D

Post a pic of your self and I may think about it. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, we already have Doom 1, Doom 2, Hexen, Quake 1, Quake 2, Rise of The Triad, Duke Nukem 3D, and Shadow Warrior.

My reccomendation: Play Quake 1.

Hexen lacks sound, Q2 is unplayable, Q1 is kinda slow (MMU hack any devs), ROTT has numerous bugs and so does Shadow of the Warrior. Granted, Shadow of The Warrior is new and Q2 is kinda pushing our luck (maybe Q1 too) but Strife, Hexen and Heretic are all conceivable since the engine is very similar to DooM's. Even ROTT could be spruced up, IMHO. And Shadow Warrior uses the BUILD engine like Duke3D - should run as fast and as good. Even Blood should be playable... righ? :rolleyes:

Vavoom on the GP2X? Are you nuts?
For one thing it needs a floating point processor, which I believe the Gp2X lacks.
And you need a fairly decent processor speed to move it at a decent framerate, which I don't think the GP2X could handle.
Also I'm not sure if it requires OpenGL too.

Maybe some other Doom Port might be possible though, one of the software-only rendering ones like Zdoom (which also supports the above mentioned games).

Well before the über flamage begins, I have to add that I can see his points. All the ports are not quite finished yet. It would be nice to see those being polished and complete. But on the other hand, the people that code these do it for free and in their spare free time. It's not their obligation to finish and optimize them. If you want something done, do it yourself! Well and you then don't have to have somebody elses baby ;-)
BTW: Blood is not coded using the original BUILD engine. It's a variation of the BUILD engine and appears to be really difficult to port. There is no source for blood and the engine is supposed to be very messy. This also applies to strife. It's not the original doom engine. But then again vavoom already supports strife so maybe it is doable (not vavoom but a strife port)

From Strife's wikipedia entry:
A source port of Strife using ZDoom as a base now contains the code necessary to run Strife. This allows high resolution video modes, better mouselook, and expanded modability. The game was reverse engineered by the ZDoom team. Strife can also be played in the source port program Vavoom. Another source port has also been made by Kaiser based on guesswork entitled SvStrife.

So there are alternatives to Vavoom.

As for Heretic, if we already have Hexen it might just mean that no developer wants to port it at this time.

As far as I know there is only one port which has not released it's source code: all the rest have.
Remember that they are based on the code released by ID under the GPL license, so they pretty much have to.

Here's a list of most of the currently active Ports (I've probably missed one or two):
EDGE,
Vavoom,
Doomsday
Legacy,
ZDoom,
Boom,
Chocolate Doom,
Eternity,
Skulltag,
GZDoom,
PrBoom +

There are many more which haven't been updated in years.
As I stated previously, ZDoom is software-render and supports ALL the games mentioned in the original post (as well as Doom itself). Now if someone just knew how to port it... :D

Yono posted on Aug 2 2006 at 02:26 PM said:
From Strife's wikipedia entry:
A source port of Strife using ZDoom as a base now contains the code necessary to run Strife. This allows high resolution video modes, better mouselook, and expanded modability. The game was reverse engineered by the ZDoom team. Strife can also be played in the source port program Vavoom. Another source port has also been made by Kaiser based on guesswork entitled SvStrife.

So there are alternatives to Vavoom.

As for Heretic, if we already have Hexen it might just mean that no developer wants to port it at this time.

Gonads and strife, gonads and strife, gonads and strife...GoNaDs In ThE LIGHTNING!!!

Those games would be cool ported though...

Blah posted on Aug 2 2006 at 04:39 AM said:
Well, we already have Doom 1, Doom 2, Hexen, Quake 1, Quake 2, Rise of The Triad, Duke Nukem 3D, and Shadow Warrior.

..and Wolfenstein 3D. This is a complete port, few bugs. If you are into the above games, try Wolfenstein 3D, it rocks!

bacteria posted on Aug 2 2006 at 04:15 PM said:
Blah posted on Aug 2 2006 at 04:39 AM said:

..and Wolfenstein 3D. This is a complete port, few bugs. If you are into the above games, try Wolfenstein 3D, it rocks!

Oh yeah, I forgot Wolfenstein. Great game, although a bit dated IMO.

I ran UHexen, no sound. Does it support sound? Maybe my old .WAD file is broken or something. Also, Wolf3D rocks! I wish the controls where smoother, though - hard turn everywhere! :D

Back