Noob Questions 101 LOL

g8rpal

Still Fresh
Kind strangers,

Received my Pandora a few weeks ago and slowly but surely it has grown on me. I've got a couple of initial questions I was hoping someone could answer.

1. I think Enter is left click, what is right click?

2. Everytime I delete something it seems to be copying the file to the recycle bin which seems to sit on my NAND. So, how do I either

a. stop it from doing that or

b. remap the recycle bin to one my SD cards?

3. Did you get the sound working in Lugaru? I tried the Linux version too with no avail.

4. What do you think is the killer feature? I think PSX is the killer feature, N64 seems pretty slow. I thought I'd like Quake3 more; but, having the nub actually is a step worse than the gp2x IMHO. (i.e. having some control vs. none aka auto aim.) I hate playings FPS using console like controllers and kind of wish the Pandora had a trackpad like my old Wibrain.) It is still early and my initial impressions of quake 3 may not be fair representation of what is possible w/ fps and the pandora.

5. where is squidge?

Thanks,

Mike

1. If you are using nubs, moving the right nub to the left is left-click, to the right is right-click. If you are using a stylus, tap to click, and tap-and-hold to right-click.

2. Right-click on the file(s) (in the file manager), then hold shift (or the L Button, which acts as shift in XFCE) and then click delete. This will permanently delete the file, so be careful!

3. No idea.

4. PSX and N64 emulation. N64 is generally alright if you overclock.

5. Again, no idea.

EDIT: Wait, Squidge is a person. Are you sure you didn't mean Squeeze?

Last edited by a moderator:
N64 is generally alright if you overclock? Well, the "perfect" or "running at full-speed" compatibility of games is extremely low. Even over-clocking will not suffice at times.

N64 is generally alright if you overclock? Well, the "perfect" compatibility of games is extremely low.
Depends what you want it to do. Playing something like Majora's Mask or Rogue Squadron is completely out of the question, but most games are at least at a playable level @800mhz.

3. Did you get the sound working in Lugaru? I tried the Linux version too with no avail.
I know this one, because I came across it myself just two days ago. It's caused by putting the "Data" directory in /pandora/appdata/lugaru/.lugaru - it needs to be in /pandora/appdata/lugaru instead.

the games are the killer apps :)

ReARMed is very cool - but i find PSX games have low contrast and in high-glare enviros like on the train make them impossible to see clearly. So I play GnGEO and MAME games on the run - it is so cool to just flick the switch on my panda when i get off the train, then flick the switch again when i get a seat on my connecting train and the game picks up exactly where i left off! whooop!

It's cool to see peeps on their DSes leaning over to see "what the hell is this guy playing?" - "insert coin? whaaaaat?" - hahaha sometimes i feel like pretending to stick a 10c piece in the spare SD slot to see their reaction LOL

But yeah, at home I play the ReARMed stuff - and I am guessing on long flights ReARMed will be da bomb too!

2. Everytime I delete something it seems to be copying the file to the recycle bin which seems to sit on my NAND. So, how do I either

a. stop it from doing that or
Check the tweaks thread in the Help forum just below this one. I forget exactly, but the answers are there. vadsamoht gives one way, but there's a second way of creating a custom delete script which you can call instead.

Comfortable with the command line?

Code:
rm -rf /home/<username>/Applications/Data/Trash/

ln -s /home/<username/Applications/Data/Trash/ /media/<SDCard>/Trash

5. where is squidge?
I wish I knew :(

Code:

Wait, you can do that? Making a symbolic link to a location on the SD card is a good idea, I just didn't think you could actually *delete* trash?

Code:

Wait, you can do that? Making a symbolic link to a location on the SD card is a good idea, I just didn't think you could actually *delete* trash?

Yeah, trash is just a named folder that XFCE treats specially (because it knows it's your Trash folder!). So, sure, you can delete the trash. If it doesn't exist at all, XFCE probably recreates it every time you login or something.

But yeah, outside of the special consideration that XFCE gives to the folder's name, it's just your standard folder, nothing special.

Code:

I've never used link before, but I'm trying it out in Ubuntu. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears the first file is where the informations is stored and the 2nd file is the shortcut. And the 2nd file has to be made in order to run the command, and it makes the shortcut file in the directory specified, so this would create a /media/<sdcard>/Trash/Trash. I think it would be:

Code:
mkdir /media/<sdcard>/Trash

ln -s /media/<sdcard>/Trash/ /home/<username>/Applications/Data/

But I'm probably wrong, I've just been toying with it in Ubuntu; the pandora is probably different. I also don't quite understand the difference between soft links and hard links, why is the -s necessary here?

Code:

I've never used link before, but I'm trying it out in Ubuntu. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears the first file is where the informations is stored and the 2nd file is the shortcut. And the 2nd file has to be made in order to run the command, and it makes the shortcut file in the directory specified, so this would create a /media/<sdcard>/Trash/Trash. I think it would be:

Code:
mkdir /media/<sdcard>/Trash

ln -s /media/<sdcard>/Trash/ /home/<username>/Applications/Data/

But I'm probably wrong, I've just been toying with it in Ubuntu; the pandora is probably different. I also don't quite understand the difference between soft links and hard links, why is the -s necessary here?

Simple answer: Hard links are only for files.

Long answer: The actual location of a file is determined by a number called an inode. All file entries in directories are just references to that inode. When you do a hard link, it just adds another directory entry pointing to that inode. If you delete the file's original path, it will still exist in the other directory and in any other directories it was linked at. Soft links, by comparison, point to the original directory entry and will be broken if you delete the original directory entry.

Back