Non-Programing Game Development

OAMADEUSO

Still Fresh
As the titles says is it possible to have some kind of game creation kit that doesn't rely on a knowledge of programing?
They've been about on various platforms for decades and have examples on current gen machines. LBP etc.

There was 3D construction kit on the spectrum for example.

Is there something that could be ported for use on the Wiz?

Wouldn't expect anything ground breaking to be made on it but it could let a few people contribute that haven't the coding skills.
For example, I create graphics for a living but have no idea (or the time to learn) a programming language. But I would love to make a game.

There appears to be plans afoot with certain game making programs to create apps with limited programming (mainly drag & drop) required, as MMF2 has recently started doing mobile phone games. I understand that gaming devices are also being considered/worked on. However, I don't know which systems those would/could be.

An alternative is to find a dev looking for a graphic artist and maybe team up on something. I'm pretty sure that if you put forward some of your work and ideas that you might get someone interested.

I'd say either team up with a dev, or look at Fenix. I know its a language, but its not difficult, and if you have time to make a game, you have at least some time to learn the environment. The effort is worth your while.

Or maybe you could try your hand at Flash?

The problem is that all those "game-maker" programs are extremely limited in what you can do. Sure if they have a "shoot-em-up" option, you make a shoot-em-up. You might be able to tweak a varible or two (points scored, speed, etc.) but in general all you'll endup with is a very poor shoot-em-up like 7000 others but with different graphics. The *second* that you want to do something even slightly different (e.g. change the way the player's controls handle, etc.) and you're into programming.

3D Construction Kit was, precisely, that. A construction kit. You couldn't really do much at all, from a "game" point of view. It was revolutionary because it was "3D", not because it let you make games. Even the games "made using" or "based on" 3DCK were nothing more than graphical tweaks of existing games. It's always been the same. If memory serves (and Wikipedia backs me up here), 3DCK had a programming language in it to do that "fancy stuff". Hell, that program had to come with a videotape instruction manual it was so "simple".

And programming isn't some mystic art. With the right language and the right enthusiasm/teacher it takes minutes to get up and running. I proved this the other day - I had a work experience student in my office for two weeks (15 years old, never seen DOS, didn't know what a command line was or that it even existed, never written a line of code in his life, played on XBox's all day long). One day, we learned BASIC (purely out of interest because he was asking about old games, etc.) using QBASIC. The next day, he'd come in with a game he'd written off his own back. It's really not even as difficult as that, even. My friends in secondary school were using AMOS on the Amiga to do all sorts of things when they were 15/16... if they could do it then, you can learn in it minutes if you're dedicated.

If programming *really* isn't your thing, then you should really team up with someone for whom it is. It's hard to program at all if you're not enthustiastic for it (even programmers will tell you this - there's a certain "mood" you have to be in) and trying to juggle graphics, ideas and programming is very, very difficult (but nowhere near impossible).

I've heard good things about DarkBASIC but you are still in the realm of programming. Anything more abstract than that tends to be extremely unpopular, weird or just plain useless.

WarmFluffyUK said:
Don't forget there's also GL-Basic :)

Just checked out GL-Basic.
I can find a windows development kit on the main site but need something that I can use on an Mac OSX PPC.
I see it can compile of OSX but the actual programing kit seems to be windows only. Or am I missing something here?
@ledow

Well maybe if it's not that long I could take a look at learning a language. Would be good to know one.
Any suggestions? As above, need some kind of enviroment I can use on a Mac and compile for Wiz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most GCSs (game creation systems, game creation engines, whatever you prefer) do have a scripting language builtin in order to facilitate serious game design. But you can often get something done before delving into this and the gap is a little easier this way. Something like Game Maker easily lets you do just about anything that fits within the graphics profile. You're going to have a hard time finding these kinds of programs available for Wiz, though. I wonder how something like Verge, Ika, or Sphere would run if ported? There's a port of MegaZeux for GP2X but I don't think it's a great fit due to the lack of resolution. And since you're a graphics designer I don't think that'd be your kind of thing.

Ok, i've first been tantalised then frustrated by GLbasic (doesn't seem to work on OSX.)

Might look at this C++ lark or maybe OpenGL. (yes I know complete turnaround)
Both of these seem to be supported in OSX. I am pretty sure C++ can be turned into something that can work on a Wiz.
Can OpenGL work on a Wiz too?

If anyone can help or recomend the tools I need to get up and running and some very beginers tutorials that would be great!
Tutorials are my friend here I think. I learnt all my graphics apps through them and also cinema4D.

Thanks for not laughing at these stupid questions btw :)

[Update]

Awww buggerit... going to borrow a XP netbook from work and just get started on GLbasic.

Take a look to Game Maker . Is an environment to make games visually and have a big community. You can generate games for Windows, Linux and GP2X. Not Wiz port yet.

Take a look to Game Maker . Is an environment to make games visually and have a big community. You can generate games for Windows, Linux and GP2X. Not Wiz port yet.
Game Maker is not supported on GP2X (or Linux), and will likely never be. It is commercial and closed source. Your probably thinking of something else.

Oh thanks, I was speaking about Game Editor but I was wrong with the name.

http://game-editor.com/wiki/Main_Page

Back