Nokia N810

LordFu

Website
www.d1eclan.com
http://www.internettablettalk.com/

Well, it's a slightly improved N800 that takes a few steps backwards, IMO.

Negatives:

They've ditched fullsize SD for miniSD, which is a huge mistake, if you ask me.

They've eliminated one of the MMC slots, altogether, giving the new machine only one.

They keyboard is a nice addition, but they've put the d-pad on the slider with it. Um, why in the hell would you do that?

Positives:

Slightly smaller and lighter. Meh.

Slightly faster. Meh.

Keyboard. Cool, I guess, but I've never had an issue with the on-screen keyboard.

Huge overhaul of the O/S, which my N800 will get to use, too. Hooray!

2g internal flash. Now that is cool.

So, my final verdict: Get a N800 while they're still available on the cheap, if this is a type of device you're interested in. They're currently going for around $250 USD, which is a steal. It'll run the same O/S as the 810, with little or no difference in performance, as the hardware under the hood is almost identical.

LordFu said:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/

Well, it's a slightly improved N800 that takes a few steps backwards, IMO.

They've eliminated one of the MMC slots, altogether, giving the new machine only one.

They keyboard is a nice addition, but they've put the d-pad on the slider with it. Um, why in the hell would you do that?

Slightly faster. Meh.

Huge overhaul of the O/S, which my N800 will get to use, too. Hooray!

2g internal flash. Now that is cool.

THe 2GB internal flash is mmc1, afaik. It means developers will have a large place where they can put their data files - and know they'll stay there.

The dpad usability is still uncertain. I only got one user feedback on it and he liked it less than the 770 or N800 - doesn't sound good for games. On the other hand, your right hand thumb can now hit keys for emu buttons, which was sorely needed.

Speed: According to some internal docs i've seen, the OMAP2420 used on both is identical, meaning that the N800 arm11 core actually can run at 400mhz, but at that speed the DSP is slowed down to ~130mhz (to save power?) Anyway chances are good that the OS2008 upgrade will let a N800 run 400mhz also.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back