No Usb (linux Or Windows)

oneandoneis2

Website
www.oneandoneis2.org
I've tried the GP2X on my work (Windows XP) machine, and on my home Linux PC. Neither of them detects anything when it's plugged in - lsusb shows no devices, no system messages are generated, nothing.

I've tried it with both the USB cable it came with, and the cable my USB harddrive uses. The HD will work with both, the GP2X isn't detected with either.

I'm wondering if the GP needs an SD card in it to be recognized? My order for SD cards is running late, so I haven't got one I can try. But as far as I can make out, you're supposed to be able to put stuff into the built-in memory, so I'm assuming it should show up even without an SD card. If I'm wrong, I'll be perfectly cheerful that I just have to wait for the cards to arrive & all will be well :)

Cheers

Dominic

I've tried the GP2X on my work (Windows XP) machine, and on my home Linux PC. Neither of them detects anything when it's plugged in - lsusb shows no devices, no system messages are generated, nothing.

I've tried it with both the USB cable it came with, and the cable my USB harddrive uses. The HD will work with both, the GP2X isn't detected with either.

I'm wondering if the GP needs an SD card in it to be recognized? My order for SD cards is running late, so I haven't got one I can try. But as far as I can make out, you're supposed to be able to put stuff into the built-in memory, so I'm assuming it should show up even without an SD card. If I'm wrong, I'll be perfectly cheerful that I just have to wait for the cards to arrive & all will be well :)

Cheers

Dominic

Short answer: Yes. The user is currently unable to access the NAND memory. You need an SD card in order to mount the GP2X.

Shorter answer: You could have found this out just as easily by searching the forums. All you've done is increase my (and your) post count by one.

Last edited by a moderator:
You need a sd card, and more, you need a card reader to format it, because if u format the sd with windows trough usb directly, gpx2 won't recognize the card.

I did search. It didn't find anything useful. Just lots of posts about "USB doesn't work" and "SD doesn't work, oh I hadn't formatted it properly, whoops" and the like.

Ah well. So it looks like all is well: My SD cards (and USB2 card reader) should arrive this morning, and everything will be Okay when one of them gets put in.

Note to everybody who's currently in an agony of suspense waiting for their GP2X: Imagine how bad it is to actually GET your GP2X and not be able to use it ;)

My GP2x arrived on Tuesday however GBAX had forgotten to put the sd card I ordered into the box. The agony! Apparently there is a card on it's way to me as I speak...

Andrew

Cheers

Dominic

Short answer: Yes. The user is currently unable to access the NAND memory. You need an SD card in order to mount the GP2X.

Shorter answer: You could have found this out just as easily by searching the forums. All you've done is increase my (and your) post count by one.

Thats longer than the first one.......

Last edited by a moderator:
Back