No Emulators For Almost A Month Now.

jlenoconel

Not a complaint just an observation. I'm scared that the homebrew scene for the Caanoo has already dried up.

jlenoconel said:
Not a complaint just an observation. I'm scared that the homebrew scene for the Caanoo has already dried up.
what about gpfce and pockesnes ti-99 pcsx4all and a new version of mame4all was just released today

Last edited by a moderator:
And don`t forget that Christmas and New Year (holidays) was not that long ago, Plus
people getting back into the routine of returning to work, College, School etc.

Real life can really get in the way sometimes. :rolleyes:

Trooper

To be fair the Caanoo really has had a very small homebrew scene from the start. It really hasn't gotten as much attention as many of us had hoped, and I'd say the pandora stole all of the would-be Caanoo devs.

ColdRush said:
To be fair the Caanoo really has had a very small homebrew scene from the start. It really hasn't gotten as much attention as many of us had hoped, and I'd say the pandora stole all of the would-be Caanoo devs.

what new emulator did the pandora get in the past month?

ColdRush said:
I don't know about that. Maybe initially but the homebrew scene is looking pretty good on the caanoo right now if you ask me. Lots of stuff is being worked on and there are a lot of talented and dedicated devs working on stuff. Look at quake for instance. Who would have though that you can play people on the pc via portable handheld and have an online scoreboard to post your results! Commander Genius, Chex quest, Deadly eye, and Jump to the moon have also been released and are great fun. Lots of great games are coming out and I can't wait to see what else is coming down the pipe.

It sucks when developers forget about the smaller, "less powerful" machine for the bigger, so called more powerful device, especially when the bigger handheld has a crappy build compared to the smaller one and costs a crap load more to purchase. Coupled with having to wait months on end just to get your hands on the said device. The Caanoo has potential and it would be a great shame if some of these people who are working on Pandora forget all about the Caanoo so soon.

ColdRush said:

Sincerely I don't think, the GPH Caanoo is the most recent opensource console and (obviously) it has less software than the others, but in the latest months it got a very good amount of "homebrew software"...

Gab1975 said:
ColdRush said:

Sincerely I don't think, the GPH Caanoo is the most recent opensource console and (obviously) it has less software than the others, but in the latest months it got a very good amount of "homebrew software"...

But what it's gotten is what every open source console should have from the start. Really all we have are emulators and very few games developed specifically for Caanoo. If Notaz ever ports Ginge to Caanoo, that would be another story.

ColdRush said:
But what it's gotten is what every open source console should have from the start. Really all we have are emulators and very few games developed specifically for Caanoo. If Notaz ever ports Ginge to Caanoo, that would be another story.

Sorry, but how should any open source console should have anything "from the start"? You guys are much to demanding, the Caanoo is on the market for less then 6 months now, there are already about 30 emulators available and over a dozen interpreters have been ported.
In my opinion, this is absolutely ok.
What do you mean by "all we have are emulators and very few games developed specifically for Caanoo"? I bought the game mainly for emulator support, and I am pretty sure, most people did. Games developed specifically for Caanoo? Dream on, that's not the way it works and never was. Great Open Source games like Giana Returns would never been possible if aimed at a specific platform.
You completely loose me with your last sentence: "If Notaz ever ports Ginge to Caanoo, that would be another story."
Why should a port of Ginge lead to more games developed specifically for the Caanoo?

Doesn't look like the Pandora scene is doing that much better at the moment. I think there are too many systems out, that's all. Plus I think some devs are a bit hesitant to do anything fancy for the Caanoo when the Wiz got replaced so quickly, but that might change over time if GPH can exercise a bit of self-control (that's a BIG "if").

I think the biggest issue is that the Caanoo doesn't offer much more than the WIZ.
I still sell more WIZ than Caanoos...and they sell for the same price.

A lot of devs who already had the WIZ probably didn't want to buy the Caanoo just to recompile their games without any speed gain or anything...

I still think there's more to come. The more units are out there, the more stuff will be released. For the WIZ, it was similar - took half a year before some more stuff had been released.

CKeichel said:
ColdRush said:

Sorry, but how should any open source console should have anything "from the start"? You guys are much to demanding, the Caanoo is on the market for less then 6 months now, there are already about 30 emulators available and over a dozen interpreters have been ported.
In my opinion, this is absolutely ok.
What do you mean by "all we have are emulators and very few games developed specifically for Caanoo"? I bought the game mainly for emulator support, and I am pretty sure, most people did. Games developed specifically for Caanoo? Dream on, that's not the way it works and never was. Great Open Source games like Giana Returns would never been possible if aimed at a specific platform.
You completely loose me with your last sentence: "If Notaz ever ports Ginge to Caanoo, that would be another story."
Why should a port of Ginge lead to more games developed specifically for the Caanoo?

Games developed specifically for Caanoo as in the FunGP store which hasn't had any activity and still no way to purchase credits for it besides ordering a card through an overseas provider. That basically eliminates any reason to have a Caanoo over a Wiz because they were supposedly going to develop 3d games and such for the Caanoo. We have what, 1 game(From FunGP) that takes advantage of the wireless capability? FunGP should have considered releasing something a bit more than an adhoc fighter when toting around the "Extreme Network Game Console" tag line, especially when it isn't a true network console, it requires an external dongle. Ad-hoc is nothing atleast for me because nobody within 50 miles of me has a Caanoo and I don't plan to fly across the country to play with other Caanoo users. I'm not downplaying the homebrew scene, they've done more than FunGP. The consoles reception has just been mediocre.

If Ginge came to Caanoo then our game library would expand greatly, that has nothing to do with being specifically for Caanoo, just in general. You may be satisfied with whats currently out there but for a $150 wiz successor I expected a bit more than a bunch of wiz ports, that's just my opinion.

Don't have much too say but I've been more than happy with my caanoo. It's a nicely built and sturdy device and their is a regular flow of new stuff to play with. Maybe I have lower expectations since it my first open source device but It's pretty much got a lot of what I wanted apart from a duke3D port and a neogeo pocket emu.

ColdRush said:
Games developed specifically for Caanoo as in the FunGP store which hasn't had any activity and still no way to purchase credits for it besides ordering a card through an overseas provider. That basically eliminates any reason to have a Caanoo over a Wiz because they were supposedly going to develop 3d games and such for the Caanoo. We have what, 1 game(From FunGP) that takes advantage of the wireless capability? FunGP should have considered releasing something a bit more than an adhoc fighter when toting around the "Extreme Network Game Console" tag line, especially when it isn't a true network console, it requires an external dongle. Ad-hoc is nothing atleast for me because nobody within 50 miles of me has a Caanoo and I don't plan to fly across the country to play with other Caanoo users. I'm not downplaying the homebrew scene, they've done more than FunGP. The consoles reception has just been mediocre.

If Ginge came to Caanoo then our game library would expand greatly, that has nothing to do with being specifically for Caanoo, just in general. You may be satisfied with whats currently out there but for a $150 wiz successor I expected a bit more than a bunch of wiz ports, that's just my opinion.

If you bought the Caanoo for commercial 3rd party games, then, I am sorry to say this, you have choosen the wrong machine and went better for a DS or a PSP instead.
The GPH consoles were never known for fantastic 3rd party support of commercial games, they were always known to be devices, that can run homebrew software very easy. Most of the homebrew software on any Gamepark device since the GP32 were emulators.
Seriously, I never heard of anybody buying a GP32, GP2x, Wiz or Caanoo for anything else then homebrew software.
Besides this, I am not sure, if it would be possible to run the DRM-infected Wiz software from FunGP with Ginge, and there isn't so much commercial software for the Wiz either. Most of the stuff on this console are homebrew developments too.
Besides, I bought games from Fun GP and I didn't ordered a card from an overseas dealer, I bought an online code from Play Asia and payed with PayPal, not very complicated.
That the Caanoo needs a Dongle to go online was a well known fact before launch, why complain now? And if you like, use this Dongle and play Quake online, a fantastic homebrew port from Rikku.
The main features of the Wiz and the Caanoo are basically the same, so I didn't expected to see much new things on this console, more RAM helps in Mame4All when it comes to NeoGeo Roms, the G-Sensor is a nice gimmick, nothing more, the USB port is a nice feature too, that is supported by many programs, no problem here. As far as I heard,most people didn't saw the Caanoo as the "successor" of the Wiz, as the Wiz was to the GP2x, more like an update to a given system.
And by the way, many of the best emulators on the Caanoo come from Zx, as far as I know, none of his emulator ports was released on a Wiz. (This was obviously wrong, my fault)
I bought the Caanoo and not the Wiz, because of the bigger screen mainly, I already have a Dingoo and looked for something with a bigger display, this was my reason, mind if I ask, why you bought the Caanoo in the first place?

I dunno man. I bought the caanoo as I'm a major emulation freak. Honestly emulator-wise I would be perfectly happy just with whats out there now (not that I'm not looking forward to future developments). In addition, I'm not that worried about the pandora attracting attention away from the wiz/caanoo. The pandora would have been really cool if it were released two or three years ago. Given its price point and functionality i think its sort of too little too late.

Back