Apple Ii Emu For Caanoo?

BlueMaxima

I'm tempted to pick up a Caanoo but the one missing platform that I would want on it is the Apple II (mainly for Eamons, those things are awesome). Is there a way to get Apple II emulators onto the Caanoo somehow?

Maybe donating a caanoo to the developer of the pandora emu... but we need more important emulators for now...

Like? I haven't noticed any major gaps in the Caanoo library outside of Apple II.

I'll donate towards an Apple II emulator for it but I can't afford to buy a second whole Caanoo for an emulator...$10-20 maybe.

Well, there are a lot of gaps. Starting with PanMame and Fba2x (the updated version). For this two emulators we already donated 2 caanoos (we are going to send them), there are a lot of emus. The c64 emu is really bad, dosbox is bad and some emulators aren't avaiable for the caanoo for example the apple II emu and the lynx emu. Actually we need to donate a caanoo for each emu bacause the caanoo developers aren't porting anything big these times and (obviously) the creators of the emulators for the pandora won't buy a caanoo just to test the porting...
I appreciate your intention to donate. If you confirm this, I can PM the creator of the emu and tell him that you will donate 20 $ for a good emu... is this ok? :D

Sure, why not :p

I never understood why Fba2x and updating Mame was so important - how bad is the Mame compatibility on Caanoo? And C64? And what games are on Fba? And what other gaps are there in Caanoo's emu library? And add fifth question to annoy you here?

Actually the mame compatibility is very bad. We have version 0.36b or something similiar and now mame is at version 0.145.
This is why we need mame, FBA, cps2, gngeo, neogeo cd and so on. Cause the mame compatibility is really really bad. C64 is just horrible, I just can't understand that it has a horrible looking interface and it lags when we have many emulators like pcsx rearmed and drPocketSnes that emulate really more powerful machines than the c64 but they do not lag in a lot of games....
I will contact the dev anyway. Let's wait... :D
EDIT: Message sent! :D

DJRoby4 said:
Actually the mame compatibility is very bad. We have version 0.36b or something similiar and now mame is at version 0.145.
This is why we need mame, FBA, cps2, gngeo, neogeo cd and so on. Cause the mame compatibility is really really bad. C64 is just horrible, I just can't understand that it has a horrible looking interface and it lags when we have many emulators like pcsx rearmed and drPocketSnes that emulate really more powerful machines than the c64 but they do not lag in a lot of games....
I will contact the dev anyway. Let's wait... :D
EDIT: Message sent! :D

Well that MAME set is not THAT bad - I mean, can it run the top 250 or so arcade games? Like Smash TV? (I love that one)

And I wonder why the C64 does that, maybe it's not optimized enough?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, the c64 is not optimized AT ALL.
Trust me, there are just a few mame roms for mame4all...

DJRoby4 said:
Yes, the c64 is not optimized AT ALL.
Trust me, there are just a few mame roms for mame4all...

How many MAME roms? That's kinda disheartening.

Last edited by a moderator:
2043 counting all the duplicates such as version b or similiar things....

mame-compatibility for the caanoo isn´t that bad at all. I think every game running smooth on it, is supported. There are even games supported, not running smooth at all(like every mid-nineties Midway game). Don´t forget, we´re talking about a 533 MHz handheld, you can´t expect Tekken 3 to be run via mame4all.

Reply:
Unfortunately, I don't have a Caanoo and am not sure how that dev environment works. The port would not be trivial as all of the controls would have to be re-implemented, and the emulator assumes that a keyboard is available which means that a virtual kbd would have to be developed and implemented. Sorry :(
:( :(

The port would not be trivial as all of the controls would have to be re-implemented, and the emulator assumes that a keyboard is available which means that a virtual kbd would have to be developed and implemented.

Indeed. Porting it to the Cannoo is not a simple recompilation. I tried it ... but didn't get far (as told in another thread).

I might try again if somebody could point me to code for a virtual keyboard...
otherwise, I'd need to learn to write one for the Caanoo first, which is a bit harder.

One of the best portable Apple II I've seen to far was the DS version, but unfortunately it seems dead.

I soo wish I could get conan, karateka, goonies, and so many of the excellent obscure appleII going on... :(
I don´t have the knowledge to help out on those fronts, I´m sorry.

Anything else I could do let me know.

Back