Nintendo's "Piracy" Stance.

I've been following this, and to be honest it sounds like there's some serious mistranslation and wilful ignorance going on. It'll probably be no different to the Wii, which just gives a warning to turn it off if you happen to be using modifications.

By the by, I've mentioned it before but I'm guessing you missed it: A static bag is not necessary. There is a hardware WiFi kill-switch on the side of the console.

I think a good way to stop piracy is let them do it but if the firmware catches them doing it brick the system and Nintendo could have a fee to unbrick it. It wouldn't need to even be sent in, it could show a screen:

You device has detected the use of unauthorized content. If you fell this was in error please call Nintendo at 555-555-5555 or pay 20 Wii points(or whatever) to unlock your system
This happens once and I bet most 3DS owners will stop with the funniness. Those that are technically inclined will find a way around it anyway but for every person that is scared by this and never does it again will be more game sales for Nintendo.

Its a very Draconian tactic, I don't agree with it, but if I owned a huge company with no soul I'd do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is not a threat, it's a warning. It is actually almost exactly the same as for the Wii and PSP. It doesn't say Nintendo will brick the system willfully, it is saying that if you install custom software, a system update could corrupt the firmware and keep it from booting.

^ Now now, let's not let facts and common sense get in the way. Stan. :rolleyes:

Wait, is there any custom firmware for the DS right now? I know about flashcards but those do not run custom firmware or alter the systems firmware do they? If they're not getting rid of the cartridge slot then I don't see why anyone would want to mess with the firmware in the first place.

Yes, there's custom firmware for the DS. I don't know about the DSi though. It allows you to use slot 2 devices without the need for a key.

Oh, I thought all that was handled through a flashcard.

Oh well, with all the phones, tablets, and possibly devices like the Pandora there isn't a lot of reason to hack their firmware anyway, it is just much easier to get a second device to hack.

I've been following this, and to be honest it sounds like there's some serious mistranslation and wilful ignorance going on. It'll probably be no different to the Wii, which just gives a warning to turn it off if you happen to be using modifications.

By the by, I've mentioned it before but I'm guessing you missed it: A static bag is not necessary. There is a hardware WiFi kill-switch on the side of the console.
the static bag does unable the streetpass though, which doesnt use wifi, and rumor has it thats its also a way to upgrade firmware

Ok, I give up. I can't find any information on what the heck you're talking about with this "static bag" thing, but it sounds like the makings of an old wives tale. :p

This is the Internet. Common sense isn't so common.

the static bag does unable the streetpass though, which doesnt use wifi, and rumor has it thats its also a way to upgrade firmware

What's this talk about "static bags" you're talking about? Not ESD protection bags, right?

Oh, I thought all that was handled through a flashcard.
It is. In the two card systems, a "key" is inserted into the DS slot and the flashcard is inserted into the GBA slot. The flashcard is the one that does all the work, but it's the key that allows you to actually load stuff off of it. Someone made some modifications to the DS firmware which allowed it to bypass the security checks that the key used to be used to get through. This means you no longer have to carry your key around: just keep your homebrew cartridge in the GBA slot and that frees up the DS slot for the actual DS game you happen to be playing.

It has absolutely no benefit for slot-1 devices which combine the key and the flashcard into a single DS card device, since you still need the device inserted in order to run your homebrew anyway. Can't find any indication that custom firmware is running on the DSi though, juts a lot of wishful thinking.

What's this talk about "static bags" you're talking about? Not ESD protection bags, right?
theres some rumors going around that these anti0static bags will disable the streetpass feature in case people dont want their 3ds firmware upgraded if the 3ds can upgrade firmware through streetpass, as disabling wifi is as simple as flipping the switch. still waiting to see how "sony" nintendo will be with their new hardware

I've not heard about this StreetPass before. An always on wifi scanner that downloads and shares information without user interactivity? Sounds simultaneously useful and extremely dangerous. Or is it just the process that is always on, and you can physically shut off the wifi? Wifi uses a lot of power, and if I know I will not be interested in whatever it is that might get downloaded, why should I waste that power? Nintendo would be making a very bad design decision if there was no way to disable this globally.

this streetpass thing is used just like the ds download play pretty much, its a 30feet connection to share mii's game data, such as racing ghosts, owners in nintendogs, little fighting figurines to collect in street figher, and other whatnots, some places call it SpotPass in case you know it by that name

Ok, I give up. I can't find any information on what the heck you're talking about with this "static bag" thing, but it sounds like the makings of an old wives tale. :p

It may sound like an old wives tale, but I, as far I know, think they are capable of blocking RFMs to a certain extent. I haven't tried it myself though.

Back