Nintendo Wii

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a real hate on for people that name products. For example most drugs here in the UK are named by taking a few letters of the ingredients and/or symptoms and bunging them together.

e.g: Panadol, Paracodol, Ibulieve, Headex, Migralieve, Sinutab, Mucron. I mean FGS what the fuck do these marketing twats do all day?

I'm sure that if some drug company had the balls to call a headache pill "Daves pill to get rid of headaches etc" it would sell by the bucketload.

I wont argue that the Wii is a much worse name, but all i'm saying is that people will get used to it. There are a lot of horribly named products that are now household names.

You should hear the comments i get when i use my Game Axe :D

and you can make fun of practically any name out there. But Wii is waaaaay to easy to make fun of, that is why it will not get old. I am betting Nintendo announced this to see what kind of response the gaming community would have, i wouldn't be suprised if within a months time there is a new name.

shinneri posted on Apr 27 2006 at 08:02 PM said:
Well... it's different. And that's what Nintendo's all about. B)

Nintendo was never really different before so why now? I mean you had the NES, which is Nintendo Entertainment System. Nothing special, its the name of the company, then you had SNES, again, nothing special. Then you had the N64, again, nothing special, then the game cube, a cube that plays games. AGAIN nothing special. You have the Gameboy, a little more meaningful tha nes, but nothing special, then the Virtual Boy, nothing special, then GBA, nothing special, then the Nintendo DS. NOTHING FRICKIGN SPECIAL.

So why are they going all nutsoid about this system? I want to know what they're smoking over there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Angel posted on Apr 27 2006 at 04:48 PM said:
shinneri posted on Apr 27 2006 at 08:02 PM said:
Well... it's different. And that's what Nintendo's all about. B)

Nintendo was never really different before so why now? I mean you had the NES, which is Nintendo Entertainment System. Nothing special, its the name of the company, then you had SNES, again, nothing special. Then you had the N64, again, nothing special, then the game cube, a cube that plays games. AGAIN nothing special. You have the Gameboy, a little more meaningful tha nes, but nothing special, then the Virtual Boy, nothing special, then GBA, nothing special, then the Nintendo DS. NOTHING FRICKIGN SPECIAL.

So why are they going all nutsoid about this system? I want to know what they're smoking over there.
........And we have officially devolved into errant fanboyism. Locking is unfortunately imminent.

Angel posted on Apr 27 2006 at 09:41 PM said:
and you can make fun of practically any name out there. But Wii is waaaaay to easy to make fun of, that is why it will not get old. I am betting Nintendo announced this to see what kind of response the gaming community would have, i wouldn't be suprised if within a months time there is a new name.
Wonder why they released the name now, and not at E3? So gamer nerds like the ones who inhabit pretty much every forum on the known universe (and make up a tiny fraction of their intended market) will get over the goddamn name before E3 and focus on the new games coming out.

Yes, it's a really fucking stupid name. For a few minutes I contemplated it ruining such a promising console - leaving it dead at launch. I can only hope that like iPod or Yahoo, both fairly stupid names, it becomes more 'palatable' with time. Tittering at the name will get old eventually, or maybe they'll change it in the US/Europe like they did with the SNES vs. Super Famicom.

Angel posted on Apr 27 2006 at 08:48 PM said:
then the Virtual Boy, nothing special...
LOL, imagine sitting in the bus playing on the Virtual Boy with its huge "VR" goggles, 30 people casting amused or confused glances at you. Then take it off, blinking because of the bright sunlight and say: "Oh, thats just the Virtual Boy, nothing special, eh, ...?"

I began contemplating about whether it is a clever marketing ploy... I meant think about it:

"Oh god I really need a wee" *runs to nearest bathroom*
*thinks* "Oh wasn't there that new machine called Wii... hmm I should get one..."

Perhaps not... lol.

Angel posted on Apr 27 2006 at 06:49 PM said:
that would be true had i not been talking about the name you dumb ass.
Well, your point would have been valid had I been talking exclusively about names.

Nintendo has always tried to be unique in the way they do things, and many great innovations have come out of it (along with one or two utter failures I'm sure you'll point out to me in your reply). The Wii is basically the grandest example of Nintendo's dedication to new ideas, so I think the unique name is fitting.

A lot of kids dont remember, but nobody used to say "Lets go play NES". It was always "Lets go play Nintendo". I can see the same thing happening here. In all honesty, its not THAT bad. The comparison to names such as Google, Yahoo, etc was a pretty good one.

SONY posted on Apr 27 2006 at 03:12 PM said:
CoinOp posted on Apr 28 2006 at 05:08 AM said:
I'll bet piss yellow isn't one of them.

lol yellow wee-wee... :lol:
captain obvious <_<

In any event, all of the current Gen systems have AWFUL names. playstation, gamecube, and xbox. Welcome to the shit train.

The only company to kick ass with naming has, and will always remain to be, SEGA! Genesis, Dreamcast, Nomad; all amazing names. Of course saturn and gamegear suck, but still sega wins 3 consoles to zero.

fucking wii makes no sense. If miyamoto were here, I'd boo him!

You know there is no such thing as bad publicity, and people will talk about how bad the name is going into E3 hype and that's the time they won't day dream about PS3. For the shock value and attention, they have already succeeded.

BTW I can totally see Nintendo campaign having a new theme song, "Wii will rock you".

grahf posted on Apr 28 2006 at 05:13 AM said:
I'll agree on Segas names.. I always thought Genesis was an awesome name. Too bad for you guys that had to call it the Megadrive ;) The Nomad was a perfect name too.

Just a reminder, that it was also called MegaDrive in Japan ;) Also I like the name MD...

Back on track... IMO, this is either a publicity generator, and they'll decide a new name later. Or it's a publicity generator, and they'll stay with the name... Either way it's getting people talking about it.

I can also see people going back to saying things like "So do you wanna play some Nintendo?" again. I think it fits into normal speech better than: "Hey! Let's go Wii!"

At least it aint as bad as the Gizmondo.

Though both can be linked back in some way to the male reproductive organ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back