Nintendo Revolution Controller Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Angel posted on Sep 17 2005 at 10:52 AM said:
Fishbong posted on Sep 17 2005 at 01:57 PM said:
That´s exactly why the revolution controller might be a great thing. It enforces innovation in games.

And that is why the rev will fail. Thank you for pointing this out. It forces innovation in NINTENDO MADE GAMES. 3rd parties are not going to code specifically around a controller unless it's fiscal. No more are you seeing any real system exclusives, except for nintendo. Most 3rd parties are making their games and making them for each system. Now if you have a company making a 3d adventure, it cost them $1000 a day to code for the PS3 and XBOX 360 and $5,000 a day for the REV because of the total revamp of code to suit the controller, which would you chose? I'd chose the one that makes me more money. Plus you can bet the REV will not be more popular than PS3 and the XBOX 360, so you have less people buying the more expensive to produce game.

Nintendo is digging their own grave. They've said before they don't care about 3rd party support and obviously it shows because instead of making it easy, they're going to make it harder. And the only reason why the REV is going to sell millions of units like the DS is because of their large loyalty base. If this was NOT a nintendo system, it would likely not live through the first month.

i never thought of it that way angel, but your 100% right

Last edited by a moderator:
also, do you think Microsoft and Sony are scared?? Hell no, they've probably just thrown two big parties because Nintendo has just increased both systems software sales.

As far as I can see and from what i've read, there is nothing revolutionary about the Revolution. The controller, not the first time a controller was based off of user motions. But it can download retro games, no other system can do that right?? How soon everyone forgets about Sega channel. So even that has been done before. Is there something I'm missing that makes this system so revolutionary?

At present time I will be buying none of the three systems.

Angel posted on Sep 17 2005 at 02:52 PM said:
Fishbong posted on Sep 17 2005 at 01:57 PM said:
That´s exactly why the revolution controller might be a great thing. It enforces innovation in games.

And that is why the rev will fail. Thank you for pointing this out. It forces innovation in NINTENDO MADE GAMES. 3rd parties are not going to code specifically around a controller unless it's fiscal. No more are you seeing any real system exclusives, except for nintendo. Most 3rd parties are making their games and making them for each system. Now if you have a company making a 3d adventure, it cost them $1000 a day to code for the PS3 and XBOX 360 and $5,000 a day for the REV because of the total revamp of code to suit the controller, which would you chose? I'd chose the one that makes me more money. Plus you can bet the REV will not be more popular than PS3 and the XBOX 360, so you have less people buying the more expensive to produce game.

Nintendo is digging their own grave. They've said before they don't care about 3rd party support and obviously it shows because instead of making it easy, they're going to make it harder. And the only reason why the REV is going to sell millions of units like the DS is because of their large loyalty base. If this was NOT a nintendo system, it would likely not live through the first month.
That´s all fair enough, but did you hear me saying anything about the Revolution´s success? Certainly not. I spoke about innovation in gaming, a thing that is- as everyone here should know, not necessarily aiding the success of a product. But one thing is certain: A good idea survives. Even if the Rev fails, we may very well see some of it´s features in future consoles.

the Revolution is not going to fail though, not at least for a year or maybe two, because of the large loyalty base. They will sell millions in Japan and in the US. The eventual lack of software is what I'm thinking will do them in, but then again, with the GIMMICK of downloading old games, even if they charged $1 a game, they are going to make millions.

They could put a controller and screen on a turd and it would sell millions. The name Nintendo is the only thing I can see they have going for them.

Also, this is in reply to whomever said "Nintendo has financial advisors, do you think they'd let them dig their own grave?"

Are these the same advisors that let them make the Virtual Boy?? Are these the same advisors that let them say they didn't need 3rd party support? Are these the same advisors that let them say that people don't want online support?

Why are certain people being so pedantic?

It is original in the context of the current gaming market.

It could be revolutionary if implementation is better than the powerglove (which had a great concept btw) and therefore changes the way games are thought about and played.

I dont play games to enjoy pressing the buttons. I enjoy the art and the sensations they allow. This could allow gaming to enthrall in other way such as finally providing a good physical approach which has been so succesful in recent years. Think DDR and Eye Toy.

loz_the_guru posted on Sep 17 2005 at 07:22 AM said:
Surely the only thing thats worth going on ehre is the feedback given from those who have actually used the controller. Which all seems positive to me. Ill definitely be buying a revolution at launch.

MAGUS: the power glove failed for two reasons: firstly, it was an add on, not the main contorller used for games, and therefore it was difficult for games to be designed for it specifically on a widespread bassis. Secondly, NES games werent advanced enough to use in to its full potnential, whereas modern 3d gaming makes for a much more suitable environment. Frankly, your constant stream of insults and emotive lanuage throught this thread has been laughable.

Sorry if thats badly put or uneloquent, im knackered.

I know why the powerglove failed, you don't need to tell me that. And I also know that this one is newer, has more dimensions to work with, is the primary controller, and probably functions a hell of a lot better than the powerglove did, but that doesn't change the fact that it is still not an innovation. It's a recycled souped up powerglove, no matter how many times you people want to insist that it isn't. I didn't really like using the powerglove, and I know I wouldn't like using this either. I know it's not exactly the same... but just by looking at it and the way it's held, there's no way in hell I'll like it. And I don't want to play Nintendo's games anyway. They suck. They just keep recycling the same crap all the time. NOTHING they've done in the past 10 years was "revolutionary" or "innovative." Nintendogs is not new. Feel the Magic is retarded... "Uh oh! someone swallowed some fish! tickle his stomach to make him vomit!" <sarcasm> Wow, that's just the coolest thing I've ever seen in my entire life... </sarcasm> Seriously, what the fuck? The DS is lame. It's a gimmick, and this is no different. "TICKLE THIS PERSON'S NOSE TO MAKE HIM SNEEZE!!!" How retarded is that? Not only does the feature suck, but then they make games that use ONLY that new feature. They force their crap on you. It's not like Sony started making you buy the eyetoy, and now all games require it. Nintendo is the only company that does that kind of shit. You wanna be "innovative?" Fine, but make things that are actually new, and don't call things new when they're not. And don't force it.

declaration posted on Sep 17 2005 at 01:18 PM said:

It could be revolutionary if implementation is better than the powerglove (which had a great concept btw) and therefore changes the way games are thought about and played.

I dont play games to enjoy pressing the buttons. I enjoy the art and the sensations they allow. This could allow gaming to enthrall in other way such as finally providing a good physical approach which has been so succesful in recent years. Think DDR and Eye Toy.

You don't play games to enjoy pressing the buttons; you enjoy the art and sensations they allow... Okay, that's all fine and dandy. That's exactly the way I feel too. But I don't see pressing buttons as a chore or a bad thing. No, this will actually make it worse. When I play RPGs, I really get into them. And during certain parts of them, I start to get completely numb and then feel like I'm melting into the couch. If I have to be standing up and running around, swinging some stupid controller like it's a sword, I'm not gonna have that feeling. It's a good feeling, and I enjoy it. And the best way to make a game that uses your movements to swing a sword would probably be one that's done in the first person so it seems more like you're actually there, otherwise what's the point of having you swing the controller like a sword in the first place? I don't know about any of the rest of you, but I hate first person games unless they're first person shooters. Does anybody remember King's Field 2? Horrible first person PSX game. It was like a first person shooter with nothing but melee weapons. it sucked. I'm guessing it was an RPG, but I'm not really sure because I never got into it.

If you want to play tennis, go find someone else who plays tennis, and actually play tennis. If you want to play golf, go do it. Or at least go to a driving range in your area and hit some golfballs... Or play miniature golf, whatever. I don't understand the excitement of playing tennis or golf on a console, and I can guarantee that trying to play either one of them with a souped up powerglove isn't gonna make it anymore exciting. "If you want to go run around stealing cars and killing people, don't play GTA; go do it." First of all, I don't think any of us out there would really want to do that in real life. Secondly, there are these things called laws. Stealing cars and killing people are against these laws. If you steal cars or kill people, you have committed what is known as a crime. And if you commit one of those crimes, you end up in a dark room with bars for 5-10 years, or life, depending on what you do. You might even be put to death... There is no such penalty for playing tennis or golf, and there's also a bit of a moral issue with running around and killing people for no reason. To the person who brought up GTA, your remark wasn't witty. It was stupid. Yes, let's all sit at home and play golf and tennis on our Revolutions. Heaven forbid we ever leave the house and interact with other humans and actually get some REAL exercise.

Magus 86 posted on Sep 17 2005 at 05:48 PM said:

If you want to play tennis, go find someone else who plays tennis, and actually play tennis. If you want to play golf, go do it. Or at least go to a driving range in your area and hit some golfballs... Or play miniature golf, whatever. I don't understand the excitement of playing tennis or golf on a console, and I can guarantee that trying to play either one of them with a souped up powerglove isn't gonna make it anymore exciting. "If you want to go run around stealing cars and killing people, don't play GTA; go do it." First of all, I don't think any of us out there would really want to do that in real life. Secondly, there are these things called laws. Stealing cars and killing people are against these laws. If you steal cars or kill people, you have committed what is known as a crime. And if you commit one of those crimes, you end up in a dark room with bars for 5-10 years, or life, depending on what you do. You might even be put to death... There is no such penalty for playing tennis or golf, and there's also a bit of a moral issue with running around and killing people for no reason. To the person who brought up GTA, your remark wasn't witty. It was stupid. Yes, let's all sit at home and play golf and tennis on our Revolutions. Heaven forbid we ever leave the house and interact with other humans and actually get some REAL exercise.
Firstly, its not as if I can just get my tennis racket and trot on down to Centre Court for a friendly encounter with Roger Federer. I also doubt the viablilty of joining Tiger down the local golf course for a quick round.

In this way sports games are just the same as any other. They allow you to do things you can't really do in real life. They also offer a different experience than playing the real sports do.

Games and real sports can cohabitate with both offering different experiences.

Magus 86 posted on Sep 17 2005 at 06:48 PM said:

You don't play games to enjoy pressing the buttons; you enjoy the art and sensations they allow... Okay, that's all fine and dandy. That's exactly the way I feel too. But I don't see pressing buttons as a chore or a bad thing. No, this will actually make it worse. When I play RPGs, I really get into them. And during certain parts of them, I start to get completely numb and then feel like I'm melting into the couch. If I have to be standing up and running around, swinging some stupid controller like it's a sword, I'm not gonna have that feeling. It's a good feeling, and I enjoy it. And the best way to make a game that uses your movements to swing a sword would probably be one that's done in the first person so it seems more like you're actually there, otherwise what's the point of having you swing the controller like a sword in the first place? I don't know about any of the rest of you, but I hate first person games unless they're first person shooters. Does anybody remember King's Field 2? Horrible first person PSX game. It was like a first person shooter with nothing but melee weapons. it sucked. I'm guessing it was an RPG, but I'm not really sure because I never got into it.

stfu nobody cares about your opinion.

Besides gimmicky things can be fun. I might get virtual reality golfiong game, because of the dudiness factor, but I wouldn't go golfing. It's cool seeing your actios on the television.

Also, where in the world do you get to go around slashing monsters and crap without getting hurt?

There's also the convenience. You can do all these things in your own home, whatever hte weather, etc. etc.

Magus 86 posted on Sep 17 2005 at 06:48 PM said:
If you want to play tennis, go find someone else who plays tennis, and actually play tennis.

Why should we Magus? Why should we do anything beacause YOU think we should? What if someone has no-one to play it with, or it's late at night to go and play? People can make the choice.

The Gizmondo came into the handheld market and it was critised for doing nothing different than what the PSP and DS can do. Now, what would be the point in Nintendo doing exactly the same as what Microsoft and Sony can do, when it's clearly not going to get the same amount of power behind it?

It's sad to see so many people turning their back on the product before they've even playing. But I'll say to you people what I say to fanboys of certain systems, it's your loss. You'll be missing out on an experience because you're too stubborn to give it a shot.

Give it a chance, people. At least wait until the games are announced before you bury it.

declaration posted on Sep 17 2005 at 02:16 PM said:
Firstly, its not as if I can just get my tennis racket and trot on down to Centre Court for a friendly encounter with Roger Federer. I also doubt the viablilty of joining Tiger down the local golf course for a quick round.

In this way sports games are just the same as any other. They allow you to do things you can't really do in real life. They also offer a different experience than playing the real sports do.

Games and real sports can cohabitate with both offering different experiences.

Yes, very true. You can't go to the tennis court and play with Roger Federer, whoever that is(i'm only assuming a professional tennis player), but you're not actually doing that in the game either. If you played against him, you'd probably get your ass kicked. And why would you want to simulate playing with him when it won't be accurate anyway? If it was, it would be pretty much impossible to win(unless he sucks). By the way, if you want to play with this guy cuz he's a challenge, play a wall... They're fuckin relentless.

"Also, where in the world do you get to go around slashing monsters and crap without getting hurt?

There's also the convenience. You can do all these things in your own home, whatever hte weather, etc. etc."

Okay... first of all... When did I say that you should actually go around kiling monsters? And since when do Malboros and Zemzeletts exist in real life anyway? See now, that's something that you CAN'T do in real life. That's why they make those games. When I play games, I like to do things I can't actually do in real life. I don't like to play any sports other than hockey in real life, so I why would I be intrigued by the fact that I can play an extremely watered-down version of any other sport? I'm not even intrigued by playing watered-down hockey. Okay, good point about the convenience... You can't always do something you want to because of circumstances that you have no control over... and that's fine. But if you love tennis so damn much, when you actually have the chance to play tennis, go freakin' play tennis. And if you want things to be simulated, you're getting a half-assed simulation anyway. If you're playing virtual tennis on your revolution, are you gonna run back and forth in the room to simulate the real thing? Probably not, so the only thing you're doing is moving your arm. Yeah, that's a lot of fun, and that's definitely a great simulation of tennis...

I think it look kind of fun, different but some people don't like change..bunch of Luddites! :p

Besides its only the one console thats going that way.. don't understand why some are getting so heated about it lol.. its only one console out three... its not the end of the world.. Its great having a choice.. life would be dull and boring if we didn't have that.

or maybe as the next gen comes round in 5-10 years the joypads will be replaced as technologuy will be advance enough for decent VR headsets and we'll all be waving remote controls around in our living rooms like a bunch of dreranged ravers on e... :p

"If you want to go run around stealing cars and killing people, don't play GTA; go do it." First of all, I don't think any of us out there would really want to do that in real life. Secondly, there are these things called laws. Stealing cars and killing people are against these laws. If you steal cars or kill people, you have committed what is known as a crime. And if you commit one of those crimes, you end up in a dark room with bars for 5-10 years, or life, depending on what you do. You might even be put to death...
Did you ever happen to hear about the concept of irony?

Yes, I have heard of irony... and if you're referring to the fact that it's somehow Ironic that you'll be killed for killing people, what's your damn point?

Magus 86 posted on Sep 17 2005 at 08:07 PM said:
Yes, I have heard of irony... and if you're referring to the fact that it's somehow Ironic that you'll be killed for killing people, what's your damn point?

He's not suggesting you go and kill people.

I believe this will be a big success over in japan but may not amount to much in the US.

Personally I think it could be fun to play for a little while but not for longer gaming sessions. Also I thuink it'll suck for racing games

tekt5 posted on Sep 17 2005 at 08:24 PM said:
I believe this will be a big success over in japan but may not amount to much in the US.

Personally I think it could be fun to play for a little while but not for longer gaming sessions. Also I thuink it'll suck for racing games

Just slip the control pad into a steering wheel shaped shell and it will be fine.

Look, when shinneri wrote his GTA comment, he referred in an ironic way to the impossibility of having certain experiences in real life. Like behaving like you do in GTA and stuff.

When I play RPGs, I really get into them. And during certain parts of them, I start to get completely numb and then feel like I'm melting into the couch. If I have to be standing up and running around, swinging some stupid controller like it's a sword, I'm not gonna have that feeling. It's a good feeling, and I enjoy it....
I´m not even going to comment what effect this could have on your bodyweight... but it would sure help you to loose a few pounds. You know, your bathroom scale is hating you....

tekt5 posted on Sep 17 2005 at 03:24 PM said:
same with the ds. apparently, japanese folk are oblivious to good gaming/gaming concepts

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Sep 17 2005 at 08:58 PM said:
tekt5 posted on Sep 17 2005 at 03:24 PM said:
same with the ds. apparently, japanese folk are oblivious to good gaming/gaming concepts

I really can't take anything you say seriously after that comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back