Nicky Boum Engine

Yono

Website
Visit site
The site says it all, SDL and GBA versions available, source code at the bottom. I don't own the game, so I haven't been able to test it out myself, but it seems to be in pretty good working shape, and the FAQ lists the game as completable. If anyone has a chance to look at the code, that would be great (at least there is no assembly or OpenGL involved!)

http://membres.lycos.fr/cyxdown/nicky/

If you're looking for a FREEWARE download of the data files (for testing purposes only of course!), I guess you could google NICKY BOOM and see if anything turns up. :)

I compiled it on my linux laptop and it worked. I then modified the sourcecode a little for the gp2x and compiled it. I don't think it works at the moment but as soon as my gp2x returns I should be able to finish a first version of the port.

Cheers.

I compiled it on my linux laptop and it worked. I then modified the sourcecode a little for the gp2x and compiled it. I don't think it works at the moment but as soon as my gp2x returns I should be able to finish a first version of the port.

Cheers.
Sounds great, wish you luck on the port.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ported this a long time ago to the GP2X, I ran into some problems with it running and failing at some points.
I have to admit I never really got around to chatting to CYX about getting it going. I don't see that doing a good port of this should be that hard at all :). Maybe I should see what if different with my source and the source CYX cleaned up for release.

Ryo, a port would be cool, good work.

Edit: The source I have is for 0.1.3, I will update and see if it works.

I'm stuck. I guess I encountered the same problem as DJWillis.
I was going to do a quick port of this but I expected it to give less problems, so I don't think I'll continue it since I have other projects going on. I could provide what I have done so far if anyone else want to continue...

Actually the game starts, It shows the initial screen, then I press A to start the game and it fails at an assert:
Code:
nicky2x: resource.c:69: get_move_delta_ptr: Assertion `move < (sizeof(offsets_table)/sizeof(offsets_table[0]))' failed.

I think the function that needs to be fixed is this but I'm not too sure:
Code:
uint16 read_uint16LE(const void *ptr) {
	const uint8 *b = (const uint8 *)ptr;
	return (b[1] << 8) | b[0];
}

Usually I am not the kind of person who picks up a more than one year old topic, but did anyone considered finishing the port or having another look into it? ;)

Just read up on the original game and it sounds real nice! Would be cool to have the engine ported. It looks though, as if the old homepage of the project ceased to exist though. Maybe the source code still floats around somewhere, or the bits Ryo and DJWillis have are enough. This would certainly be a nice addition to the gp2x library.

Hi all :)

@shaddim : I cloned the github repository, and the SDL port compiled flawlessly, thanks as always to @ptitSeb 's Code::Blocks !

I don't own the DOS version of this game, so I can't test this build though.

Cheers, Magic Sam

Hi all,

I managed to grab a copy of the game (somehow...), plus some missing additional files from an Amiga OS 4 port...

The game segfaults, and I don't really know why :( To make things worse, the author of that engine doesn't reply to my messages, and Dot Emu, the company owning the rights of Nicky Boum, is closing...

Cheers, Magic Sam

Hi all,

@ptitSeb : well, their online shop is closing, I hope the company won't go belly up though...
Hi Samuel,

As our DotEmu store is closing soon, we are not selling games anymore on it. If you bought any games on our website, please make to download them before the 1st of June. Otherwise you won't be able to after that date.

If you want more information please feel free to check the link down below :
http://www.dotemu.com/the-dotemu-online-store-is-closing/

Thank you for your understanding.

Kind regards,

DotEmu Support

Cheers, Magic Sam
[doublepost=1496042195,1496039938][/doublepost]Hi again,

I recompiled the game in Debug mode, without any additional CFLAGS. The game starts, Microids logo, main menu, with Nicky Boum tune in the background, then it segfaults... :(

Cheers, Magic Sam
[doublepost=1496044778][/doublepost]Hi again,

Here is a ~10MB core dump file:

http://sviscapi.chaosnet.org/core

@ptitSeb : I'm sorry to bother you with this, but is there something wrong with the function @ryosaeba mentioned earlier in this thread ?

https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/threads/nicky-boum-engine.32422/#post-470924

Cheers, Magic Sam

P.S: I really could use some training on GDB, I have no idea how this thing works, yet it could be so helpful...

@ptitSeb : I'm sorry I didn't make myself clear :( As the issues @ryoaseba faced 10 years ago and mine look the same, I thought the root cause could be similar, hence the question about that function.

And your help would be greatly appreciated, as always :)

Cheers, Magic Sam

I doubt the function in question is to be fixed. It's just a utility function to go from BigEndian to LittleEndian... The real question is why calling this function is a boggus pointer...

@ptitSeb : I just checked, and this function is no longer in the source code.

I'm trying to run gdb against that core dump I generated earlier. If I understand correctly, the syntax is gdb /path/to/bin /path/to/core, right ?

My question is, how do I specify options for this binary (in my case --datapath=/media/Pandora1/pandora/appdata/nickyboum-magicsam/DATA) ?

Cheers, Magic Sam

@ptitSeb : here is the output of gdb --core=/media/Pandora1/pandora/appdata/nickyboum-magicsam/core:
[New Thread 6900]
Core was generated by `nicky --datapath=/mnt/utmp/nickyboum-magicsam/DATA'.
Program terminated with signal 11, Segmentation fault.
#0 0x0002472c in ?? ()
(gdb) bt
#0 0x0002472c in ?? ()
#1 0x0001fad0 in ?? ()
#2 0x0001fad0 in ?? ()
Backtrace stopped: previous frame identical to this frame (corrupt stack?)

It doesn't mean much to me...

Cheers, Magic Sam

Back