GP32 Newbie To Gp32 Audio

generalnmx

Playful/Fascist Mod
Website
www.matts-hosting.com
I've coded stuff for the GP32 before, but never anything with audio. When I design a game, I usually start with the audio FIRST, which I base much of my design around. It's that important to me, considering I have limited audio resources as I am nearly tonedeaf when it comes to composing music (so I download whatever music I need, asking artists permissions before release).

As I understand it, the GP32 SDK only has natural support for raw PCM audio. Obviously this isn't very good for background music. To my knowledge, there are also a MOD and Ogg library, as well as MP3 sources available (from GPMM).

To me the Tremor port seems like the best way to go, but I'm worried it will hog all of the CPU's attention. Running at 133MHz, what do you think?

Edit: The Lapolla Player looks interesting. I have some excellent S3M, IT, and XM files that I would love to use for development. Is there any sources or libraries available that can play S3M, IT, and XM?

generalnmx posted on Jul 9 2004 at 06:15 AM said:
Edit: The Lapolla Player looks interesting. I have some excellent S3M, IT, and XM files that I would love to use for development. Is there any sources or libraries available that can play S3M, IT, and XM?
It seems that the Lapolla Player is part of the sdl-gp32 project:
http://sdl-gp32.sourceforge.net/

Please let me know of any progress, because on what's supposed to become my next project, I'll be facing the same problem.

Greetings,
SvOlli

Last edited by a moderator:
To me the Tremor port seems like the best way to go, but I'm worried it will hog all of the CPU's attention. Running at 133MHz, what do you think?
Hogging about 100 of 133 MHz of the CPU isn't all your problem. The bigger problem will be that Tremor also hogs nearly all of the CPU bus, so that the infamous GP32 sound bug will be the much bigger problem.

After the first release of GpTremor (the Tremor only part of SvOrbis), I want to dip in the code there, to see if I can reduce bus load a bit, but I'm not too optimistic about that.

Greetings,
SvOlli

Back