Newbie Help Please

thall17

Still Fresh
I was just about to hit the submit order button on a WIZ when I thought I should check with someone more knowledgeable then myself. My main interests are running MAME,coleco/sega/nes emultators and watching a movie now and then and thin the WIZ looks great! But then theres the Pandora on the horizon that looks good though don't think I would want to pay the $300+ price tag....

Just want to make sure I am getting the right handheld for my interests...

Any help would greatly be appreciated!

Depends what do you want to do with it. Wiz is very portable and emulates almost all 8 and 16 bits systems very good. It has a great community developing native games and applicatios too.

Pandora is more powerful and has many extras like bluetooth, wifi, 2 SD slots and keyboard. It has many interesting projects too. It is like a micro portable pc. But cost more money and you have reserve it and wait the second batch. I recommend investigate each machine and the software available, and decide yourself. If you want to play now buy the Wiz, else save your money for later.

thall17 said:
I was just about to hit the submit order button on a WIZ when I thought I should check with someone more knowledgeable then myself. My main interests are running MAME,coleco/sega/nes emultators and watching a movie now and then and thin the WIZ looks great! But then theres the Pandora on the horizon that looks good though don't think I would want to pay the $300+ price tag....

Just want to make sure I am getting the right handheld for my interests...

Any help would greatly be appreciated!
The wiz is basically just emulation (and all the emulators are created for it already, minor improvements will come out). The Pandora is very new and will not have that many emulators for quite some time. If you can stand the wait, buy the Pandora (more emulation possibilities, better performance, wi-fi, better graphics...). From the sound of your needs though, I'd just buy the dingoo (and yes, I have all three... just waiting for my pandora to be shipped). It's easier to use, and less faulty. Too much time and effort has been put into the wiz (on everyone's part). MAME and coleco don't work too well on the wiz, but NES and the SEGA emulators work great on both the dingoo and pandora.

Last edited by a moderator:
MAME and coleco don't work too well on the wiz

MAME works great on the Wiz. It's one of the polished emulators for the Wiz and is superior to the Dingoo version. Just look at the Wiz download statistics and at the comments...

sbock said:
MAME and coleco don't work too well on the wiz

MAME works great on the Wiz. It's one of the polished emulators for the Wiz and is superior to the Dingoo version. Just look at the Wiz download statistics and at the comments...

guess i'm one of those retarded users who just can't get it to work... do you use mame4all or finalburnalpha? what types of MAME files do you use (.zip)?

MAME4all (Final Burn Alpha has nothing to do with MAME at all)

To find/convert the right roms is a generally MAME problem. You can't blame the Wiz port for this.

Yes, the MAME roms are zipped.

sbock said:

To find/convert the right roms is a generally MAME problem. You can't blame the Wiz port for this.

perchance that's my problem, you have to covrt them? how so?

The mame emulator, with the correct romset, works great in Wiz, is a fact. NeoGeo games too, again the roms must be the appropiated. Picodrive (megadrive) is flawless. Using the GBA emulator works the 95% of the games, at full speed. Even the gameboy emulator is now almost perfect. etc etc

I don´t know about Dingoo, but the emulators for Wiz are smooth, fast and don´t need frameskip to work great, unless the psx4all which still needs time to grow, but his progression is good.

Sorry about my poor english.

aesir911 said:
sbock said:

perchance that's my problem, you have to covrt them? how so?
You can search for "MAME GP2X_WIZ 2.2 Full Romset" in the correct place and you´ll be rewarded.

@thall17
Buy a WIZ because it take to long to wait for the 2. batch of the pandora and when the WIZ didnt makes you happy, sell it on Ebay, but i think you can have fun with it. :)

I could never understand what the obsession with full romsets are. The US versions are all you need if you're an english speaker. The European versions are slow and the Jap versions are have got funny squiggles instead of writing. There are exceptions of course.

Back