New Video Formats

dennis20014

Website
Visit site
hey all,

When will we be able to use new formats of videos on the gp2x? AVI is great, but theres alot of other formats, such as mkv, or ogm that I'd love to use, and seeing how the gp2x uses a form of mplayer (at least thats what I think it is) why shouldn't it be able to already?

I think it's a matter of coding the codecs to be used with ARM. Not so easy. I, too, am a huge fan of ogm and would absolutely love to have support there.

I tried WMV and the gp2x wouldn't detect it in the movie player.
I've read online in a few different places that it does though.

It's not that bad, I can covert all the movie files to avi, but it'd be simpler just putting them on my SD card then having to go through all that. It'd be a huge bonus too when it comes to TV Out :D

WMV was slowing the development process due to Linux/windows driver issues so they passed up on it hoping to add it later in a patch right now it's just Dvix and Xvid. And frankly I'd like to see them tighten those up a bit before adding something new.

I was testing it out tonight and got a random freeze that forced me to reboot halfway through a 30 minute anime.

It's irritating me that there isn't support of plain mpgs! It's like not having mp3 for audio files...

Back