New Vektar Demo

Will it have a downloadable version of Vecktar ?

Thanks for the info.
paxl13

iignotus posted on Aug 14 2006 at 08:33 PM said:
Alex. posted on Aug 14 2006 at 02:49 PM said:
Gruntfuggly posted on Aug 14 2006 at 01:50 PM said:
Are the controls configurable? I find it hard to keep moving from the B key to the Y key to use the shield...
I did a neo-impressionist painting about this issue the other day:
Excellent :D

Hehe - You guys kill me! :p

You know what I mean though - I like to have one button per finger (or thumb) for all the important controls in a game - especially something as important as the sheild in Vektar...

But of course I've just found out that I can use the shoulder button to fire, so at least I can play it now... :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
The next patch will have the control define option, i might actually add that to the patch i did yesterday then i think that takes care of ALL the bugs/features.

craigix posted on Aug 15 2006 at 01:47 PM said:
The next patch will have the control define option, i might actually add that to the patch i did yesterday then i think that takes care of ALL the bugs/features.
Hi CraigX

Thanks for dispatching the full version of Vextar - I got it today !

I had a few modifications to the SD card contents, which you might like to consider:

Moved all the files into a vextar directory
Copied Vextar.gpe to vextar
Created an autorun.gpu with the following settings:
#!/bin/sh
cd /mnt/sd/vektar
exec ./vektar​

Now it autoboots if that option is on and is stored in a neat folder if not !

What do you think?

I also moved the level .oggs to a custommusic directory, then its easier to see what to replace..

I also think you should consider an 'other' directory in it you could have a .txt or .doc of your current product and prices

I'm not sure why you would need to put the ogg files in the custommusic dir, as they are not named correctly so won't play, also I'd guess the game will crash on booting... and the reason they are not in there already is that it would mix the game music in with your own.

craigix posted on Aug 15 2006 at 07:36 PM said:
I'm not sure why you would need to put the ogg files in the custommusic dir, as they are not named correctly so won't play, also I'd guess the game will crash on booting... and the reason they are not in there already is that it would mix the game music in with your own.
OK good point, I'll move them back, I got the music on the first set of levels fine and it did not crash...

sam fisher posted on Aug 15 2006 at 09:32 PM said:
What you talkin' bout Nick?
I was playing or should that be messing with the boxed version of Vektar..
:rolleyes:

evilmegaman posted on Aug 16 2006 at 03:54 AM said:
Uh oh guys... I am going to have to order this right away... I am fearing for vektar's lifespan...

read what I am talking about http://www.gamespot.com/news/6155850.html
They would have no legal case, and I don't think craig would give in to any pressure...

The only thing that can be copyrighted is the code itself. In the case of sprite based games, this includes the data that the sprites are built from...However in the case of something vector driven, unless the shape is exactly the same there isn't much they could do. The shapes will be generated from data tables... They can copyright those, but lets face it, they can't copyright the way you draw something either.

Does anyone out there have copyright on a triangle? a circle? a square? a dodecohedron? :lol:

craigix posted on Aug 16 2006 at 06:50 PM said:
I'd love them to try it on, i'd enjoy the court case.
Are the law suits actually by MicroSoft? If so they would just subdue you with legal fees! :eek:

*DUN DUN DUN*

no actual laws suits have come into play from the geometry wars creator or microsoft the pressuring grid wars to stop offering the game as a free download with all code made by the coder himself and no art or ip infringed upon. basically all that has been done is bullying with the threat of legal action if they don't comply.

i can't believe the morons on gamespot actually supporting bizarre creations actions especially when they have absolutely NO legal ground to stand on. the industry was made on similar games adding new features and maybe a game adding different features together in a new way. geometry wars is largely asteroids style gameplay and vector graphics with robotron style controls. the nice special effects combined with simple gameplay made it popular and a very easy game to clone. I've seen many commercial games that were closer clones of other games that actually had original ideas yet no legal threat was given.

if you want to play geometry wars either download grid wars or download the geometry wars demo don't pay for a company that copies other games then threatens legal action when others start to follow their example. they probably started realizing that the pc clones are starting to get better than geometry wars and so are worried that no one will want to play their game anymore. so instead of making their product better they go the microsoft way and bully competitors into submission.

craig: though i doubt anything will actually happen its nice to hear that you would stand up to them if it came down to it.

Back