some questions of a new user

killalotbee

Still Fresh
Hello,

I recieved my Panda on friday. And it's one hell of a piece of a macinery (like duke nukem should say!) It's very nice!

Some questions:

-Is there any way to auto arrange my desktop icons?

-I'm using picodrive for my sms games but when i select a game to load it says "loading (or something like that) there is a white loading bar that flickers but game does not start. Anybody having this issue?

-In dosbox (winbox, latest version) I'm not able to type the ":" sign (doublepoint).

-Games in dosbox (winbox) games are really slow. I'm reading something about more cycles but how do I do that? Manual says something about F11 and F12. But is that the 3 button combination?

-Is there any way to auto enable Wifi? So when I log in he automatically connects to my Wifi network?

-In the desktop I always see the cpu running at 500mhz. I turned it up to 850 but on desktop it keeps saying it's on 500?

-Where can i check my RAM memory in Xfce menu? I have the superclaxxon beta 2 atm. Is it worth updating to beta 3?

There can come more questions later but that is it for now. I tried NES games wich work very fine! I tried one PS1 game wich works very fine aswell! Quake1 I got working.

I'm very happy with the device. I already love it!

Desktop icons: Good question, I've wondered this but have never looked into it.

Picodrive: Can't help on that. Is there any help in the readme? File format correct? Are your roms zipped? Just throwing some questions out there.

DOSBox: The latest isn't Winbox (that's a custom version for running Win3.1). Latest "normal" version is here, and this is worth trying too. The ":" is a known issue :( The solution is to add some autoexec lines to dosbox.conf, so it mounts then switches to C:\ on launch. You'll find dosbox.conf in /appdata/dosbox. You may need to hit ctrl-h to show hidden files in order to see it. The autoexec section is at the bottom of the file.

DOSBOx cycles: F11 and F12 are only two-key presses (Fn-O and Fn-P). You can also edit cycles manually in dosbox.conf. Be aware that performance is only suited to "low" 486 and earlier. You might want to try Qemu which handles some Pentium stuff (but getting it running is a little more involved).

Wifi: I thought it was auto enabled... Check the Super Zaxxon beta 2 thread in the beta forum for more info.

CPU: I think overlocking was not enabled in early SZ betas. I'm drinking beer and driveby posting here, could be wrong, again check the relevant beta thread. :)

RAM: Enter free into a terminal to see memory info. If you're on SZb2, you'll need to hold R (shoulder button) on boot to select the newer kernel and access the full 512MB.

Should you upgrade to SZb3: Yes, I think you should. It uses the new kernel by default (so full access to RAM) among many other updates. And you'll be on the same page as most people when it comes to wifi, overclocking support etc.

-In the desktop I always see the cpu running at 500mhz. I turned it up to 850 but on desktop it keeps saying it's on 500?
The Overclocking icon is just that: an icon.

I have the superclaxxon beta 2 atm.
Damn, you are 24 Firmware generations ahead! SCNR :p

The desktop icons can be rearranged by editing

/home/[username]/Applications/Settings/xfce4/desktop/icons.screen0.rc

Last edited by a moderator:
Just lost my attempted post here, so this will be briefer.

Desktop icons can also be dragged and dropped (hit L trigger when you let the icon go over an empty space, you'll see a white square).

Wifi - needs what ED says plus to avoid the log in dialog, you can leave the keyring password empty and then confirm 'use unsafe storage', it will then just connect to your network silently. Keyboard shortcutting the wifi toggle or using the panel icon to switch it on off thereafter. Not sure how unsafe this is. Theres a Thread about that in the tips and tweaks section.

CPU speed - follow the keyboard shortcut guide by Someguy99 in the tips section. Then you can quickly check or alter current speed within the min max and allowed OPP levels that you've set up in the CPU settings area. In addition if you grab the PND of Plengs CPU speed hacks (tips n tweaks thread again) you can then keyboard shortcut various speeds, so its faster than the slider to jump speeds and back again before/after a given app. or use the OVR editor PND, or minimenus OVR editing function, or manually make an OVR file, for any given app you want to launch at a desired speed. Lots of options.

For PicoDrive, look on the PNDStore, there's two different versions, 1.80beta and 1.80, the beta doesn't work properly with master system or 32X games, if you look in the repo under comments I put a link to the version you need.

Also on the subject of PicoDrive, you could also try Dega, which is a Master System and Game Gear emulator.

In order to type a ':' in DosBox (and QEMU, now that that is up and running) you need to type shift-; just like you would on a desktop. DosBox and QEMU emulate an x86 desktop and OS, including this particular feature.

That is, press and hold the "shift" button, then also press and hold the Fn button, then finally the < button on the left side of the keyboard.

my trick of moving desktop files around is kind of a PITA, but it works.

single click on your movable item with stylus, than be ready where you want to move it with the stylus. when the item is highlighted from the first click, click it again by holding the nub left mouse click, and quickly tap with the stylus to where you want to move it.

it takes some practice, but it does the job, and youll have to re-do it after every reflash unless you save your settings

For PicoDrive, look on the PNDStore, there's two different versions, 1.80beta and 1.80, the beta doesn't work properly with master system or 32X games, if you look in the repo under comments I put a link to the version you need.
I wonder where this "info" came from, as it's totally false, the binaries are exactly the same.

This 'info' came first hand on my own system, the beta didn't work with 32x or MS games on my pandora and spent ages trawling forums looking for an answer, then found one with a link to a different version (1.80 not beta) and now it works fine.

For the record, using the beta version with 32x games came up with the screen saying 'this game is for use with the 32X', and the MS games didn't work at all but on the non beta I've not had this at all.

I'm not questioning you, this solution worked for me at least.

I suppose it came from apps.openpandora.org then, this one has the outdated version.

I really wish Craig brought that site down.

Back