New User Needs Help

kneo_ghau

Still Fresh
Hello there people of gp32x, new user to the forum but i've been lurking/waiting to get my hands on a Pandora for a while and today thanks to ebay i finally managed to!

A couple of quick questions i have (for now, more will be here very shortly i promise!)

1. With this being second hand and unformatted i booted it up and it's full of emu's and stuff which was nice, also had the hotfix 3 installed. The clock is wrong and i can't change it without it asking for the date every few seconds, i understand the hotfix 4 solves this but can't install it without the admin password, which creates a problem for me. How can i either reset the root password or install a new user with admin access? As it stands i can't install hotfix 4 which is a bit of a pain

Secondly i want to change the default browser to firefox, however the preferred applications only lists midori or debian sensible browser and not firefox. I selected other and and typed in "firefox" (which works in ubuntu :p) and also tried to find where firefox was installed to no luck. I'm sure this is an easy thing to do but i can't figure it out lol

I'm thinking the answer to the first (and thus the second) is to format and reflash it which will certainly be fun but everything i've read seems to steer me away from doing that unless i absolutely have to, which i might need to in this case lol

Thanks for any help

Hi and welcome! Let's see what we can do for you. :D

You've guessed right - you probably are best off reflashing and start over - the directions for doing that are in the Tweaks Thread, although I believe a newer reflashing kit is now available, which incorporates Hotfix 4 from the get-go.

Regarding Firefox, that's not pre-installed on the Pandora's NAND. You'll need to grab the PND version from here in order to use it.

I hope this helps. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry should have said, firefox is already on the pandora and running fine just trying to set it as the primary web browser

I'm grabbing the image at the moment to reflash it so everything else will have to wait for now anyway, who knows once i'm an admin i might be able to setup stuff myself anyway lol

Another 2 quick questions

1. After searching i see spotify is a no go on these, is that correct? There's no official/unofficial/WINE way to make it run? I thought i'd ask again seeing as a linux version has come out now as well

2. Youtube, nothing fancy needed to play youtube vids i take it? It's just firefox and midori don't work and considering i'm about to reflash it i don't want to try messing around with flash player or anything just yet

Thanks for the help so far!

Edit: OK reflashed and have my own account now! Gotta say was easier than i thought as everything is on the SD card and it just reads it automatically soo all the emus and stuff are still there setup with the same last state save. Pretty pleased with that!

kNeo gHau said:
1. After searching i see spotify is a no go on these, is that correct? There's no official/unofficial/WINE way to make it run? I thought i'd ask again seeing as a linux version has come out now as well
WINE Is Not an Emulator
There's no good way to run x86 (especially Windows) programs yet. In a few months, someone may get QEMU (an actual emulator) working that will let us run x86 Linux programs and some low requirement Windows apps, but nothing is available right now.

kNeo gHau said:
2. Youtube, nothing fancy needed to play youtube vids i take it? It's just firefox and midori don't work and considering i'm about to reflash it i don't want to try messing around with flash player or anything just yet
The flash player included with the Pandora is only good enough for flash ads right now: ie, worthless. There's a lot of work being done getting flash working, but nothing successful yet. Patience is required here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back