New To The Scene..

shinneri

Certified Guru
Website
www.gpnewbie.com
Hey, my name is Chris, and a could days ago I ordered a GP32 BLU from Lik-Sang. I haven't gotten it yet, but I am very excited. But I have a few questions...

Okay, like many of you, the main thing the drew me to this system was the emulation possibilities. I have been looking around trying to find which are the best, but I'm never certain if I am getting the most recent information because the GP32 community is very active (much more than the Dreamcast scene).

I have read that SNES emulation is less than stellar at the moment on the GP32, but I have also read comments by people about how it works fine. What's the truth, and what SNES emulator would you recommend (if any)?

What is the best Sega Genesis emulator?

What kind of battery life can I expect from my BLU?

I think that's really all the questions I have at the moment. Thanks in advance. :D

shinneri posted on Sep 11 2004 at 08:35 PM said:
I have read that SNES emulation is less than stellar at the moment on the GP32, but I have also read comments by people about how it works fine. What's the truth, and what SNES emulator would you recommend (if any)?
It isn't perfect, but it is easily playable, and good without sound.
Gigadrive has bettter compatability, but Fgen can take .zip files, in speed they are about the same and some games run with sound.
about 5 hours with backlight at 133mhz, and 9 hours without at 133mhz

I hope that answers your questions

Last edited by a moderator:
snes without runs my games very well at 156mhz... with frameskip 1 or 2 mostly... but of course it also depends on the game....
sega genesis is perfect.... with sound on at fs 0/1 fullspeed at 156mhz... and the dev is still WIP with it! (use fgen32)

congrats to ya buy :) and dont expect to iike the joystick the first playing week... (at least if u used a gba before) but you'll get used to it and later you'll fuckin love it :)

OpenSnes is a good SNES emulator, which is what I also use.

Fgen32 is a good genesis emulator, I use this one

Castaway is a great Atari ST emulator. It supports chatboard so if you want the most it offers, your giong to need a chatboard.

www.gp32z.com

shin,

It really depends how far you can overclock, at 133mhz, which some people have, snes and genesis are poor but nes and other systems run great. At 166mhz things get better for the 16bit systems, depends on the games you want to play.

-Craig

www.gbax.com

Wolfsclaw posted on Sep 11 2004 at 11:27 PM said:
oh jr2swiss keep it low please... :)

Yeah, I gotta learn to stop doing this. Be more like Craig, thats who I will look up to. :)

www.gp32z.com

Snes emu @ 166 is a lot faster than I thought it would be I would have to say that 90% of the games I have tryed ran at near fullspeed without sound and about 30% near full speed with sound.

Right now I'm playing through Zombies ate my Neighbors with sound and at full speed B)

I am going to pick up some rechargeable batteriess this week though as it's costing me a small fortune buying normal ones.

shinneri posted on Sep 11 2004 at 08:35 PM said:
Hey, my name is Chris, and a could days ago I ordered a GP32 BLU from Lik-Sang. I haven't gotten it yet, but I am very excited. But I have a few questions...

Okay, like many of you, the main thing the drew me to this system was the emulation possibilities. I have been looking around trying to find which are the best, but I'm never certain if I am getting the most recent information because the GP32 community is very active (much more than the Dreamcast scene).

I think that's really all the questions I have at the moment. Thanks in advance. :D

SNES: works great without sound. Is too slow with sound. My least used emu because of the sound issue. I don't like playing games in silence, but that is just me, if you don't mind a mute SNES emu then opensnes9x is fine.

FGEN32: A great Genesis emu that is full speed with sound and smooth on the games that have sound working at 166. Even at 133 it is very playable and is only a bit framey. The bad news is that compatibility is low, many games don't work at all. Supports .ZIP files.

Gigadrive: Slightly framier than Fgen, no .zip support, limited GUI. The thing that makes this one worth while is that it runs many games that FGEN does not.

GP-Engine: great Turbografx emulator. Perfect sound, great speed, decent compatibility. The only thing keeping this from total 1337n355 is that it is lacking saves and a few games don't work, or have glitches. The stuff that works, and most of it does, is basically perfect. Like a TurboExpress with a big screen and much better on batteries.

Little John: Best NES emu. Supports alot of mappers and runs at basically perfect speed w sound.

Yep, only 1 file in each zip (the emu will only load the first file in the archive).

My 2 cents on the SNES emulation: at first I thought it was terrible, but as I ran a few games and fiddled with the settings, I found that at 166mhz with sound off, most things ran GREAT at frameskip 0-1, sometimes 2. With sound it's not worth it on most games, but osnes9x is a work-in-progress so the future is bright.

Yes!

My GP32 BLU arrived today. It is without a doubt the coolest handheld I have ever seen. It's surprisingly small, but at the same time the screen is HUGE. AND my GP32 is easily handling 166mhz... awesome.

shinneri posted on Sep 13 2004 at 07:51 PM said:
Yes!

My GP32 BLU arrived today. It is without a doubt the coolest handheld I have ever seen. It's surprisingly small, but at the same time the screen is HUGE. AND my GP32 is easily handling 166mhz... awesome.

Yeah, I though my first Gamepark was pretty small when I first got it. Now that I look at it, the screen covers more than half of the area in fromt, which is really nice.

DaveC posted on Sep 12 2004 at 05:45 AM said:
GP-Engine: great Turbografx emulator. Perfect sound, great speed, decent compatibility.

Actually, the name is: "PC Engine" NOT "Turbografx" ! once and for all, remind that! :ph34r: Why else do you think the name of the emulator is GPengine, eh??? <_<

Fishbong posted on Sep 14 2004 at 03:29 PM said:
DaveC posted on Sep 12 2004 at 05:45 AM said:
GP-Engine: great Turbografx emulator.  Perfect sound, great speed, decent compatibility.

Actually, the name is: "PC Engine" NOT "Turbografx" ! once and for all, remind that! :ph34r: Why else do you think the name of the emulator is GPengine, eh??? <_<

And I suppose you will say next that Sega's 16 bit console is the "Megadrive" and not the "Genesis" right? :huh: :D

:huh: =George W Bush, you have to admit it does look just like him :D

Back