New Smartphone?

satanic virus

Website
Visit site
At the moment I have a Dell Axim x51v using external GPS receiver and Navigator software. I also have a normal Nokia phone (can't remember the model, but it is pretty normal, 1.3 MP camera, no PIM apps apart from standard clock, tasks and limited calendar. Everything works pretty well, but when I am driving (with my ipod too) there are wires and connectors all over the place!

I am thinking of getting a new smartphone that includes phone, pda & GPS receiver. At the moment I am torn between:

HTC P4550 (Kaiser/ TYN II) or Nokia N95.

Both offer less power and resolution than my Axim. Also, I am sort of used to the WM experience, and have not touched Symbian since my NGage. However, I am thinking the HTC P4550 is probably the one for me with touchscreen and compatibility with all my old axim apps. I am also concerned about freedom of choice with regards to sat nav on the N95. The keyboard although small on P4550 is probably ok to play Genesis and NES roms etc. on the go

I live in Ireland, and am not interested in using a 3G or GPRS connection to download maps on the go. Like my Axim presently I want downloaded maps which i can update via PC whenever they are changed.

Anyone with either of these devices with comments?

BTW, I will be selling my Axim middle Oct, Includes Dell Axim x51v, 6GB CFII Microdrive, USB Dock & charger, USB charge/sync cable, WM5 - active sync and Dell 3D games CD, Dell standard case, Dell leather case, Dell extended battery and cover, couple of DVD's with app's, games and movies, manual etc and whatever relavant i can find in the meantine.

I am pretty busy in work at the moment and going on holidays for a coupe of weeks after so will be putting this up on ebay around mid Oct. Anyone interested in making an offer just let me know.

However, it will sell on ebay no probs, so looking for advice on smartphone with GPS and ideally touchscreen. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Edit, the N95 is pretty well known. Not sure about the new HTC P4550, it is only released in Ireland this month. Was probably released eveywhere else so about a year ago! :p Just in case, here is a review:

http://www.coolsmartphone.com/article727.html

I'm in pretty similar situation; X51v, GPS receiver and a crap phone and I've been dying to get my hands on some sort of WM smartphone. When I get one I want it to last me a while as I can't afford to get a new one every few months. In the end I've decided to hold out a few months and wait for the Meizu M8 MiniOne (the cool iPhone clone).

Javacat said:
I'm in pretty similar situation; X51v, GPS receiver and a crap phone and I've been dying to get my hands on some sort of WM smartphone. When I get one I want it to last me a while as I can't afford to get a new one every few months. In the end I've decided to hold out a few months and wait for the Meizu M8 MiniOne (the cool iPhone clone).
Looks like a nice phone, hope it supports wifi when released (which is something I could not do without!) Cool alternative to the iphone. I heard Apple is not too pleased due to the similarities in appearance. Lets hope Meizu wins this one. What sort of OS will it run if known yet? Will GPS be included too? If so, I could be tempted!

Last edited by a moderator:
sataniC Virus said:
Javacat said:
Looks like a nice phone, hope it supports wifi when released (which is something I could not do without!) Cool alternative to the iphone. I heard Apple is not too pleased due to the similarities in appearance. Lets hope Meizu wins this one. What sort of OS will it run if known yet? Will GPS be included too? If so, I could be tempted!

OS on the M8 is Windows Mobile 5, IIRC. I dunno about GPS, I haven't been paying attention to it. I'm personally quite interested in the Neo1973 but then I'm a Linux dork.

Ravnos said:
sataniC Virus said:
Javacat said:

OS on the M8 is Windows Mobile 5, IIRC. I dunno about GPS, I haven't been paying attention to it. I'm personally quite interested in the Neo1973 but then I'm a Linux dork.

Wow that Neo1973 looks amazing. Wish I was a Linux dork too! :D I think I will have to stick with an OS i know and is easy to use (even though I wish i was more familiar with linux to give that baby a go!)

sataniC Virus said:
Javacat said:

The specs released a few months ago said it will have Bluetooth, GPS, Wifi, camera, G3 support, etc. Apparently the first model that will be released will be the 8GB version, but will lack G3 and a camera.

I've been considering the Neo1973, but the lack of Linux based GPS software is putting me off it.

Back