New Member - New Game

chimpoid

Website
Visit site
Hi there,

I just picked up my GP2X a few days ago and have started work on a first game.
It's my first foray into game dev. and C++ and SDL are both pretty new to me but it's shaping up nicely.
So far I have knocked up the basic rendering and game states and will hopefully have it finished within the next week or two (time allowing).

A quick screengrab of the current WIP is here:
peng_sample.png

I'll post closer to the time as things start taking shape.

Chimp

Wow, wrong logo, wrong forum.
Way for me to make a first impression :blink:

I promise I'll make it up to you folks.
Working on the particle systems for the blood splatters tonight.

Chimp

Minor Update:
Finshed the penguin class and have a wee army of penguins bobbing up and down in the playfield.
Tested on Linux and the GP2X, working fine so far on both.

Next Steps:Random Spawn of targets
Particles for hit and miss (blood and snow flurry)
Player actions (shotgun)
Remember to switch that logo ;)

As soon as I get these done I will post a WIP executable for some feedback.
It should work just dandy on GP2X, Linux, Windows & Mac (if I can work out how to compile for Mac from Linux)

If any mod could shuffle this across to the GP2X forum I would really appreciate it. In my haste to post I forgot to check the forum title properly.

Thanks

Chimpoid

Update: Random target generation done and working well.

To Do:Spotted a huge error in the rendering code for the playfield. It was loading all the images every frame and then blitting :( Stupid. Will fix it tonight. Framerate of 2fps...lol.

Game is now about 60% complete at a guess.

Chimpoid

Update: Phew, fixed a few things. (but still not replaced that logo).
The rendering is sorted out now and the frame rate is back up to something a little more respctable.
Added the user controls and the basic hit system.
Fiddled with the penguin class a bit.

ToDo: Lots :) scoring, blood splatters, music, sounds. Nicer penguin gfx.

Sooo. At last. I have something that plays (a bit) and could do with some feedback on it. Control, speed etc. Suggestions for gameplay. Please remember that this is very early stuff and there is a lot still to add. At the moment I am just looking for a little guidance on how best to proceed and people's thoughts and ideas for how it should handle.

You can grab the first very early release of it here Whack A Penguin.
Down at the bottom of the page, marked NEW. Hosted on a home server so it might be a bit ropey.
Any feedback? feel free to pm me or post here. I really appreciate good crits as it will help get the game developed more quickly and with something worth playing at the end of it.

Thx

Chimpoid

The source would be good. Source is always good!

The more there is out there to read the easier it is for people to learn.

If you want to keep it to yourself, well, fair enough. Please think about it though, even at this early wip stage.

Sorry, I forgot to mention the source. It is freely available. At the moment thought it is a real kludge of stuff (first time C coder).
The problem is that looking at the source it's hard to believe that I could even spell C++ let alone code it :blink:
Currently the files are changing continually as I learn about header files and including files correctly but if anyone wants source at this early stage, please feel free to post, pm, or email me and I will send out what I have so far.

Once I get finished a first working version I will def. release all the source along with the game as I am hoping to have some nice folks pulll it apart and point out where I have gone wrong or made things difficult for myself.

Thanks for looking

Chimpoid

Update: Been playing with testing animated penguins with a simple animated blood splatter. Scoring has been added as well. (New version not online yet)

Looking for suggestions. Anyone got a preference? Small cuddly penguins that pop up and spin or straight penguins that simply rise up out of the holes?
I'm thinking that small & cuddly would merit a restyling of the graphics as a whole to make it look a little cleaner.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Chimpoid

Pondering:Thinking about a Chuck Jones style and ditching the penguins in favour of mice.

EDIT: Added front end for game in chuck jones style.

walltest.png

roomtest.png

Something a little more cutesy (with copious amounts of blood)
Any thoughts?

Chimp

Update: Going further down the toon root and I think it might be best to redo all the gfx.

Penguins have been designed and are ready to implement:
pengs.png

Now to code up the fancy menu system to show off the flowery wallpaper :blink:

Chimpoid

The rendering is sorted out now and the frame rate is back up to something a little more respctable.

If you're still having trouble with low fps, have a look in the dev forum in the hardware accelerated sdl thread. It should give you quite a nice speed boost leaving the gp2x free for lots of fancy graphics

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I spotted that one. Still trying to get my dev environment setup so that I can use SDL_Image (png's instead of color-keyed bitmaps).

The problem with the frame rate was that I had setup a class to load, convert, key and display a bitmap. Forgot to seperate all the parts and then ended up running it every frame on all 4 parts of the game field which left me loading 4 bmp's every frame :(

Stupid error but it's sorted now. Just writing some ingame music and then onto the bitmap font stuff to display scores.

Thx

Chimpoid

Back