New Handheld?

High on GP2X.

Indeed there's not telling whether it's open enough to get a scene. It might require hacking to get an Emu running even if you could get full speed SNES out of the hardware. and we dont know the price either so it really could be another gizmondo.

Well, I'm not going to write the thing off.

That's what I did with the GP32 before and shortly after release. I read up about it on the few IGN articles about it, and I figured it was going to be some terrible failure (with an admittedly nice screen). But then, a couple years later, I checked up on the console and promptly ordered one. :)

Hmm... looks pretty cool except for the fact that it has neither a regular D-pad nor a ministick... Damnit, why can't anything have a regular D-pad, and what's with the shininess? Looks like a fingerprint magnet... I'm leaning toward the GP2X on this one, but I'm still waiting either way. It would be better if the D-pad on that thing was raised, at least a little bit... Hopefully reesy's work on OSNES9XGP will prompt someone else to do a little more work on it in the future, and then I won't need either one. I dunno about the rest of you, but the GP2X looks a little less comfortable to hold than the GP32. We'll see...

As far as the PS2's analog stick is concerned, the diagonals aren't unresponsive at all... in fact, quite the contrary, I usually end up hitting diagonals when I don't want to. That's why I like Nintendo's cross-shaped D-pad better than any stick. I NEVER screw up and hit a diagonal by accident, and the same goes for the PSX/PS2/PSP D-pad. Now that I'm used to the GP32 ministick, I have no problem with it, but I'd still rather have a D-pad.

It looks pretty nice, but its screen, though it's high-res, is small. I still think the GP2X will be better although 400mhz+ sounds very nice- it's much more l33t for two CPUs :p. Anyways, I will support whatever has a good community and is focuses on being open source and community oriented and supported. LONG LIVE GP2X!!!!....that is...once it starts "living"...

Forget about the CPU - you can't compare Intel to ARM.

I have a 516MHz Intel xScale processor in my PDA - and it needs frameskip for C64!
Tried an Amiga emulator, only about 3fps... so, pretty useless.

Blah posted on Oct 22 2005 at 03:47 PM said:
Wow...They actually managed to make it look more like a crappy, useless toy than the original GBA. :lol:
Serious? I thought the original GBA looked slick. Maybe it depended what color you owned. I have milky blue.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's cool, but there are still too many unknowns for me to jump on the bandwagon - price, battery type/life (I see no battery hatch, proprietary rechargeable only?), flash memory format (what exactly fits in here?), the purpose of a pinhole reset button in the year 2005, etc., etc...and are those gratings on the top the speakers or air vents?

In conclusion, Pink GBA Owners Represent! \m/

I had plain white for the original GBA.

And yeah that slot dosnt look like any thing I've ever seen before, looks like someone will need to BUILD flash carts for the things to play anything but it's own stuff... unless maybe its just a fancy hole for a compact flash card? I mean you gotta get your video on that things some how right?

Not that I really care.

It looks like a smaller, thinner version of the N64 Memory card port....

gameHardwareAccessoriesN64Nintendo_N64_Memory_Pak-resized200.jpg

EvilDragon posted on Oct 22 2005 at 07:38 PM said:

I have a 516MHz Intel xScale processor in my PDA - and it needs frameskip for C64!

But DaveC and the MGHZ!!!!11

GP2X cpu is CRIPPLES!

craigix posted on Oct 24 2005 at 12:16 PM said:
EvilDragon posted on Oct 22 2005 at 07:38 PM said:

But DaveC and the MGHZ!!!!11

GP2X cpu is CRIPPLES!
OH NOEEEZ!!!!!1111111

they make it look much larger in the pics. 2.7" screen is .1" larger than the original Gameboy and .3" larger than the N-gage. but yet it looks huge in those girls hands. But still if i want something that small that can do almost everything that can do and play emus and games, i'll stick with my N-gage.

Back