New Handheld?

NzoMatrix

Still Fresh
Saw this on engadget. Looks like a handheld game console from the layout.
2.jpg

3.jpg

1.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

From what we can tell, the pictured model is the EZ mini, an Intel-powered PMP (or PDA) with a 416 MHz processor, 320 x 240 2.7-inch LCD, 64MB RAM/64MB ROM, 802.11b, and USB 2.0. Supported filetypes seem to be MP3, WMA, DiVx, MPEG4, and WMV, along with HTML, PDB, and TXT, and this Mio seems to have some sort of gaming aspect to it.

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000223063906/
http://www.hi-pda.com/forum/viewthread.php...=277472&fpage=1

Looks awesome to me. *416* MHz CPU that is like double the GP2X. No, 2X 200 MHZ cores does not equal one 400 MHz. This thing could do near perfect SNES and Neo geo WITH sound and transparencies at FS0 or 1. This is something the GP2X may never achieve. It has a proper d-pad, 4 buttons, perfect screen resolution and aspect. The only negative is the small screen other than that it pwns. Sadly it may never get a scene. If it did the GP2X would be in trouble.

DaveC posted on Oct 18 2005 at 11:48 PM said:
Looks awesome to me. *416* MHz CPU that is like double the GP2X. No, 2X 200 MHZ cores does not equal one 400 MHz. This thing could do near perfect SNES and Neo geo WITH sound and transparencies at FS0 or 1. This is something the GP2X may never achieve. It has a proper d-pad, 4 buttons, perfect screen resolution and aspect. The only negative is the small screen other than that it pwns. Sadly it may never get a scene. If it did the GP2X would be in trouble.

I don't agree, the d-pad seems almost useless for serious gaming.

Last edited by a moderator:
A600 posted on Oct 18 2005 at 04:58 PM said:
DaveC posted on Oct 18 2005 at 11:48 PM said:

I don't agree, the d-pad seems almost useless for serious gaming.
I agree whole-heartedly with DaveC (also, the gp2x is almost certainly cheaper than this will be, a definite plus). The D-Pad looks like a normal one (i.e, I don't see button outlines like ABXY for UDLR. It looks like they're just raised for style). Too bad for the tiny screen though, and the likely fact that it, as well, will likely never get much commercial game support.

I don't know I sort of like using the d-pad whenever I can. I find it hilarious that most of the colors they came out with appear to be pastel. I myself have owned a pastel gba sp but it was at least blue but even then I thought it was a girlie color (since sold to get my gp32 a year ago). The only color I would buy would be red or white. The buttons look ok to me.,and I don't really care what the screen size is. I'm all for having something other people don't have...

DaveC posted on Oct 18 2005 at 09:48 PM said:

Looks awesome, no 20 page thread on screen size, no great big comments mame buttons. wow 416 Mhz cos thats like just the same as comparing a ARM chip with an Xscale. whats the benchmark on this thing.

That neo-geo emulator took you by surprise. Its looking rather good.

I dont see why this would be so much better at SNES and Neogeo than the GP2X or even the PSP, raw horsepower dosent solve every problem.

The first picture... it looks like it's running WinAmp.

Also the Dpad isnt any better than the PSPs pad, the directions are only lumps inside a disk, the diagnals could be just as unresponsive as people claim it to be on PSP or Dualshock (Ipersonally dont subscribe to this but it's still a complaint I've heard often enough that it bares comparison with this controller.)

So it's a media/game player without a clear purpose outside of playing media and games. No mention of a storage format so it's probably a harddrive... Unless it's cheap It's a floater.

Alpha2 posted on Oct 19 2005 at 02:59 AM said:
I dont see why this would be so much better at SNES and Neogeo than the GP2X or even the PSP, raw horsepower dosent solve every problem.

Double the CPU speed on one core. Much easier to port to and optimize for. You would see a SNES emu running near full speed much sooner on this.

It has to get a scene to do anything though obviously.

Back