New Hackaday Posting

Excellent, I'd try that, if I could stand the possibility of breaking my GP2X. Maybe ED would like offer this as a service? (Go on, please :))

well, putting my usb inside the gp2x would be quite easy, but i would realy dislike cutting the case, at least as long as there is no replacement availible..
cool mod through
hrough, the discovery of the internal 5v is quite cool, i should wire that to the outside :)

Lol. I know this guy (virtualy) from the forums down at Tweakers.net :) He posted it there this morning. Forgot to tell it here though...

Personaly i wouldn't cut my case or something like it. Although it defenetely ads a nice extra functionality.

In the BoB manual GPH says that there is a "3rd batch GP2X (to be shipped
from mid-May)" and that "Connecting low-power devices such as Joystick to USB port of the board" with this model "You may connect Adaptor to GP2X only or Interface Board only."
This would mean that the USB is powered, at least when the adaptor is plugged into the '2x.

Pretty neat idea.

I have my own thoughts to add on to this though. Since i never use the built in mini-usb, i would just use that port. Its already available, so no external modifications needed. The existing traces might need to be cut, or some components removed first. I havnt really looked at it yet.

If you desolder the usb port (client one) from the board and solder the host's leads to it, it will work fine, I think.

Nickmon posted on Jul 23 2006 at 10:44 PM said:
Man if this is that easy, (well you know what i mean), why is this not put into gp2x release 3 by GP ?

I Have put a link to this on GPHs web site..
And change the earphone jack to one which has additional line for video so that when you plug that in, sound will come only from TV. (The tvout cable will be really cheap then)
They can also remove the ext port for the "consumer" version and leave the ext port for the "developer verion"

Last edited by a moderator:
pcklee123 posted on Jul 24 2006 at 06:32 PM said:
Man if this is that easy, (well you know what i mean), why is this not put into gp2x release 3 by GP ?

And change the earphone jack to one which has additional line for video so that when you plug that in, sound will come only from TV. (The tvout cable will be really cheap then)
They can also remove the ext port for the "consumer" version and leave the ext port for the "developer verion"

The ext port is cool dammit.

pcklee123 posted on Jul 24 2006 at 06:32 PM said:

Yes, my ideas are moving around (I posted that last October and no-one listened).

You forgot that the EXT can be used for VGA and S-Video still even if the A/V is on the 3.5mm phono jack.

I really hate GPH if they have spare 5 volts from a pre-existing component and haven't moved it to the EXT for the USB Host.

Why won't they design stuff correctly? It took like 4 generations for Hyundai to quit churning out the crap, I hope GPH will learn from the Germans and Japanese sometime soon like Hyundai did.

Back