New Gp32 User - Want To Run Mandel.fxe From Sdk Examples

Firewyre

Still Fresh
Hello all,

I got a GP32 off ebay today because I want to do homebrew (not emulation or MP3s or even running commercial games - just homebrew), and I just can't get stuff working.

My problem seems to be that either I don't know how to use the free launcher program, or I've used it wrongly. I want to be able to run the mandel.fxe file created by following the SDK tutorial.

A bit of background (and a bit about my first day's 'adventure' with my GP32):
It's a white unit, that has the bouncy jingle tune on startup and the three option menu (game, MP3 and PC-Link). I tried holding select while it booted, and there was no text menu that someone mentioned in a thread somewhere.

I've got a card reader, and one SMC. The smartmedia card it came with seemed to be not formatted correctly for it so I formatted it and created two folders - GAME and MP3. Just to test it, I put an MP3 in the MP3 folder. The MP3 plays fine. It came with the USB connection lead which seems to work. I downloaded the XP USB drivers for it, and the PC-Link 1.03 application. The PC-Link program works great.

I've also downloaded the gp32_MrMirko stuff and his SDK and followed the tutorial on adding it to my Path and compiled the example mandel.fxe file. I copied that to my GPMM folder and tried to run it through the Game option in the menu, but it says there's either no SMC or no game.

Reading up on the stickies and FAQ's (I did read them, I promise) it seems to be that I need the free launcher? I've read the tutorials on the 'two ways of getting the free launcher' - the one through the official page being impossible because the company is gone. I've been to #gp32 on IRC, and got the spanish free launcher linked there (and linked here too).

It eventually decided it wanted to install the "gp_launc.zpk" on the GP32 (it seemed to not work for the first 5 times I tried it - no idea why). Now I can see "GP32 Free Loader" when I go into the Game menu on the GP32, but it doesn't do anything, and the spanish free launcher PC app only takes .zpk files (not the mandel.fxe file).

How do I get the mandel.fxe file to run on my GP32 so that I can start doing the Hello World tutorial etc? (I just don't get the whole running of files off it at all - the only thing I've had work is the MP3s).

Thank you so much for any help!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you use the programs included with the cracked version you showed, and hook up the GP32 and read the PDUID, encrypt it to the GP32 then you should be fine :) If you're really lost... well, keep talking eventually we'll figure something out hopefully

Hi, sorry I didn't reply sooner - I've been away from the PC.

Thanks for posting the link, Trooper, unfortunately that's exactly the piece of software I'm a bit confused about.

Hooka - yes, I am lost. I've set up that piece of software, and got some .fxe's that I want to run. I'm not entirely sure how to do it (bit of a dunce at this, unfortunately). When I go into the 'Game' option on the GP32, It has GP32 Free Launcher as the first (and only) option in the menu, but neither Start, Select or A buttons do anything. According to the FAQ is it supposed to show me the list of fxe's? B button takes me back to the menu.

I've got both the mandel.fxe file that I followed the SDK tutorial for, and I thought I better find another fxe somewhere to double check I'd not some something wrong at my end, so I've also got GPTorus.fxe from Oedalpha.

I've tried putting them in the GAME folder and even in the GP_LAUNC folder, but I can't seem to get anything to run.

The whole thing with the PDUID and encryption has me stumped, especially as I thought the cracked version wouldn't need that. Sorry for being a numpty - please tell me what I've done wrong :(

Hi Firewyre,

Have you tried putting the *.fxe's in the GPMM folder ?.

That is the only place where freelauncher looks for homebrew software if i remember rightly.

It's been a while, I still have and use my GP32 daily, But updated my firmware years ago to PacRom which doesn't require freelauncher to run homebrew.

If you do eventually get things working, I heartly recommend you flash your firmware at the first opportunity to something like PacRom (Although the are quite a few alternatives).

Good luck and hope you get things working, As the GP32 is still a GREAT little system. :wub:

Trooper

I've put it in the GAME folder - I've read that GAME and GPMM are both possible names - could it be that I'm using the wrong name for my folder? (The SMC didn't come with the right folder structure).

Also, my ultimate plans for my GP32 means I'll want something like the GPBios (I think, and if it's any good) so that it will run what's on the SMC on powerup with no messing in menus or anything. But getting something (anything!) to run first is my priority :)

Please, do question my abilities :)

I took another look at that page you linked to, and decided to do as much of it as I could.

I used PC-Link to format the SMC, so now I have the proper folder structure. (I had a wrong one before).

Then, however, I tried following the 'Second Way' as described on that page using GPS2. Unfortunately, while I can get my PDUID, the IRC channel doesn't do that any more and instead has the cracked version available for download. So I don't know if I'm supposed to need my PDUID at all.

I then tried to use the cracked version and follow the 'First Way' from that page, using the cracked free launcher instead of the unavailable official one. So I run the cracked one, and it installs fine.

After that, I'm back to my old problem where I can't get any of my programs to run. I've tried mandel.fxe in both the newly made GAME and GPMM folders, but I still don't get any response at all when I try pressing either Start or A on the Free Loader option in the Game menu.

I imagine the GP32 is a great wee machine like you say, but at the moment it's not feeling like a lot of fun for me :( Thank you for trying to help so far, though.

Amanda.

Have you tried running any other programs via freelauncher ?, Maybe try a couple from the GP32 archive ?.
Oh, Is it possible for you to link me to the mandel.fxe program you are trying to run via freelauncher, Just so i can see if it run`s on any of my GP32`s.

EDIT: I`ve just found this, Not sure if it will be of any use to you, But may help to see if your dev enviroment is setup correctly, Btw, I`m not a coder. :(

EDIT2: Just out of curiosity, Is your smc in good condition, I mean have they got many bad blocks, Have you got any other smc`s you can try ?.

Regards

Trooper

Last edited by a moderator:
Back