New Gp32 Owner Requiring Help Please !

mashimaro

Still Fresh
Hello Everyone !

I have just purchased a secondhand GP32 and ive been pointed in this direction for help. Apparently this site contains loads of helpful people who would be glad to lend their services haha. I hope this is true ! :)

I have this handheld and have no real clue how to use it. It has some emulation software on it, has been clocked to at least 166mhz and also has some linux system on it (why would you want linux on a gp32??). Just for your information its a FLU version and has a 128meg card.

Really I want to keep everything basic to start with as im very new to this. I really want a snes emulator and perhaps a megadrive emulator (Megadrive one is on the gp32 i think because it has sonic on it). Also I would like a large range of roms (i think thats what they are called?) for these to play through but I understand you cant post links here for legal reasons, perhaps an email to me?.

I would also like to put some of my music mp3s onto the gp32 so I can travel and listen woo !

I dont understand the whole idea of saving onto a GP32 im not sure if this is how its suppose to be but it doesnt look very well organised. My menus etc look very jumbled. I would like to know whats the best firmware for best advantages. I have quake demo or beta on this gp32 so maybe I have latest firmware? Would it be best for my to remove everything from this and start again, I guess like a freesh format?

Anyways sorry for the very boring post but this is really my way of crying out for some help !

Look forward to your replies,

Thanks

wow sounds like you got a good deal there, already got lots of stuff to use on the SMC that you got with the GP32 but anyway.

First of all you need a pc-link program. Download it so you can transfer files from your pc to the GP32 if you do not have a card reader.

Once you've done that, you can go into the SMC and reorganize and delete or add anything you want.

Do not ask for roms. You can go to www.pdroms.com to download legal homebrewn games for the GP32.

Since you are new to the GP32, without you properly explaining what your firmware looks like, it is hard to say if you should change it or not.

hope this helps even a little.

Okay, some small infos:

You'll find a lot of newbie help in the FAQ section of our forums.

Just some of your questions:

1. The GP32 is basically like a normal handheld - except that it has a pretty high resolution screen (320x200), fairly good processor specs and it is aimed for homebrew software. That's why it uses SmartMediaCards (SMCs), the same ones a lot of digital cameras use. So it's easy to put new software on it.

2. Which firmware is best cannot be said - some love Mr. Spiv's, some love aquafish's, some love slubmans. But: Be careful! Flashing the firmware can ruin your GP32!
BTW: Quake is not included in any firmware, it has to be on the SMC that is inserted into your GP.

3. Good time for Genesis emulation: Some new genesis emulators are on their way. Check them out.
You can find the most recent stuff (and a lot of old stuff, added from time to time) at www.gp32x.de.
All emulators are there.

4. No asking for ROM links please - not even via eMail! Just don't request them.
The only link I can give you is www.pdroms.de.

5. To put stuff on your GP32, you'd best get a card reader for your PC, fast, easy to use.
Usually, you put the games / emulators in the gpmm directory on your GP32, some require some subdirectories, be sure to read the readmes!
If you don't want to get a card reader, you need to use PC-Link or gpdrive.

That's for a start - good luck.
And keep looking into FAQ-Section.

Feel free to ask if you still have any questions.

Hello,

Just to go into some more detail

When I first turn it on I have two options :-

PLAY
PC-LINK (also I have a USB cable for this)

When I press PLAY I have :-

Linux booloader
qpQuake 0.4
fGEN32 retrodev beta (which is sonic?)
GP Cinema (whatever that is ??)
GP32 Doom V9
Numo

Im so impressed by the quality of the screen once the light is on !

I'll give the site a read that was provided in the first reply.

Thank you both for your help

mashimaro posted on Oct 20 2004 at 09:05 PM said:
Hello,

PLAY

Linux booloader
qpQuake 0.4
GP32 Doom V9
Numo

Im so impressed by the quality of the screen once the light is on !

I'll give the site a read that was provided in the first reply.

Thank you both for your help

your impressed once the light is on ust click on DOOM my fav program for the gp32.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the scene.

My humble suggestion: Get a cheap SMC card reader; it makes adding/deleting/moving files ass-easy, and saves on batteries, by not using the gp32_console to transfer stuff (some Doom wads are over 20MB)

GP cinema is possibly one of the most exciting things on the GP32. It basically allows you to watch movie clips and comedy programs etc on your GP32 and if you dedicate a whole SMC to GPcinema you can fit an entire 90-100 minute or longer film on on one card. The quality is quite good too.

There is an excellent support forum for GPcinema here on GP32x. Read some of those threads and you'll soon get the info you need to start encoding movies for the GP32.

mashimaro posted on Oct 20 2004 at 11:05 PM said:
Hello,

PLAY

Okay, this means, that you have the original European firmware on it.
It's quite okay, if you don't want to copy / move files around on your card.

Linux booloader
qpQuake 0.4
GP32 Doom V9
Numo

That's the stuff that's on the SMC which is inserted in the GP32.
(it's the thin black card which sticks in the back of your GP32. You can pull it out ;))

fGen32 is a WIP Genesis emulator. I guess you have the rom Sonic on your SMC,
as it also plays other Genesis roms.

GPCinema is a player for DivX 4.12 or xVid encoded movies :)

Last edited:
When playing sonic etc. remember to manually set your GP32 to 166mhz in its menus or it will default to slower 133mhz, Fgen runs so much better at 166.

-Craig

www.gbax.com

craigix posted on Oct 20 2004 at 06:19 PM said:
When playing sonic etc. remember to manually set your GP32 to 166mhz in its menus or it will default to slower 133mhz, Fgen runs so much better at 166.

-Craig

www.gbax.com

Really? Fgen runs really well for me at 133mhz. I don't see even a hint of slowdown.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much for your help guys.

Out of interest when BaDToaD said :

"There is an excellent support forum for GPcinema here on GP32x. Read some of those threads and you'll soon get the info you need to start encoding movies for the GP32."

What do you have to do to encode a movies and things for the GPcinema? Cant you just copy over a movie or something thats already been pre encoded or am I missing the point lol?

You need to

1. Grab Virtualdub (either from www.virtualdub.com , or from www.gp32eu.com , i recommend 1.5.10 since 1.6.0 give's me problems)

2. Either search this site for encoding settings or grab the processing settings from www.gp32eu.com (click gp utilites and then "Donwload GP32 VD Config File.
")

3. Load up virtualdub, load the movie you want to encode, go file->Load processing settings and choose the file you just downloaded from www.gp32eu.com , hit file->Save as avi.

Alternativly

Higher the audio to 32 kbit/s 22.050 Hz Mono 4 Kb/s for better audio.

Hope it helps!

Back