New Gp32 Mp3 Player

Might have been already implemented or mentioned, but I would really like to have an option for:

1. keylock
2. Turn of screen to save batt.
3. good way to controll the mp3 player without taking it out of my pocket

Thx ;)

According to the SDK, the screen should not be turned off and on via software, although the functionality exists to do so.

Does anyone know if there is a "safe" way to do this? I mean, perhaps it actually uses less batteries if you just display pure white. Someone should test the difference between displaying a GUI against a pure white display.

As far as the GUI, make it as occupy just as little space as it possibly can on the screen, so that you can display as many full song titles in a list. This is my main annoyance about the official MP3 player. It's all GUI and no functionality.

I'm impatient, I know. But I just wanted to ask when we can possibly suggest a beta version for testing? I really like the idea of an alternate player to the original GP32 one (I'm actually using the latest beta) and I'm looking forward to GPMad MP3 player.

Keep up the good work - you have a lot of mental support.

PS:
The only function I'd like to see is playing AAC parallel to MP3 (CBR and VBR), but this format is still in early state even on the net, so a implementation is not yet important IMO, but would be a nice feature. Other things first. ;)

Very soon, I'm just doing the following:

* Tidying up next/prev track playing
* Tidying up seeking
* Fiddling with the stereo 32-band graphic equaliser and attenuator

Then I'll pop a beta up for people to play with (and see it isn't vapourware :))

On the subject of Graphic Equalisers, the first beta release will have preset options rather than customisable ones. Anything anyone wants in particular?

Will be looking to add the usual ones you see, Pop, Classical, Speech, Rock, Flat, etc.

Aslong as some settings contain some heavily heightened bass. Maybe all the settings shoudl have the bass increased a bit as its already much lower than it ought 2 be ?

Robert_John_Shepherd posted on Feb 19 2004 at 08:15 PM said:
On the subject of Graphic Equalisers, the first beta release will have preset options rather than customisable ones. Anything anyone wants in particular?

Will be looking to add the usual ones you see, Pop, Classical, Speech, Rock, Flat, etc.
i listern to hardcore and gabber...i like it...HEAVY on the bass....
cheer's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Calm down, the first release will look somewhat pants, but it should sound nice. :)

Turns out the 32 band equaliser is going to be a no-no due to the lack of control over the subbands in the mp3 spec, shame really as the cpu hit was tiny for it. :/

So now looking at implimenting a 10 band equaliser instead.

Robert_John_Shepherd posted on Feb 19 2004 at 08:15 PM said:

A 10band Graphic EQ is more than enough. With 30bands you can really fux0r up a lot so I'd recommend even just a 6-8band EQ only. I'm working with that kind of stuff almost every day, so I know the good and bad sides. Keep also in mind that realtime audio processing needs CPU power that could be used in other places.

Anyways, if you add patches like Pop and Rock and no customer patches (guess we have to wait then) keep in mind that the GP32 lacks bass in overall. Meaning that everything below (around) 200Hz. So you can balance it from the beginning if you raise that with a kind of courve by about +1dB. Should be enough if you have headphones that have a good frequency range and a smooth bass anyways.

Looks something like this:

Code:
50Hz     100Hz     200Hz     300Hz     ...     1kHz

+3dB
|
|-------------------- \    <-- freqency
|                      \
|-----------------------------------------------------------
|
|
|-3dB

A warning from the beginning. Noone tested this kind of boosting before. It could also be possible that the GP32 simply doesn't respond because of the limited AD/DA converters. But it's worth a try.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back