New Faster Arm Cores

Faster processor and more cores means minus battery life, and more heat dissipated.
I think this new processors are for powerful industrial devices and high-end computers.

From the link:
"ARM on Wednesday announced the development of dual-core, quad-core, and eight-core Cortex A9 processor designs, explicitly aimed at markets currently served by Intel's x86 chips and IBM's PowerPC."

RenegadeChic said:
this is a really really silly question

It is. I wish people would stop talking about "Future" Pandora's or a "Pandora 2"

New hardware comes out every month better than the last, it is just the advancement of technology.

Last edited by a moderator:
its definitely premature but also its just... well its silly to say "oh there are faster chips out now, does that mean there will be faster computers?". of course anything made in the future will utilise the best available things at the time. they're hardly going to stick old tech in for the hell of it.

guilmon999 said:
does this mean that we can get a faster pandora in the future?

No, in the future, the Pandora will be slower, househusbands will outnumber housewives, Jews will commit genocide, cats and dogs will live together, and the South will rise again.

Of course the next hardware iteration will be faster. It probably won't be with an A9 though, because that's already coming out, and the Pandora isn't going to be updated for a few years. Maybe if there's an A10, and if it has decent binary compatibility to be worth staying in the Cortex line.

BUT THAT IS ALL YEARS DOWN THE LINE.

Pandora 2 (if there is one) may use such a processor. However, the Pandora itself will not suffer such a hardware revision.

Mods: l0x pl0x?

-God Ginrai

Assuming you could even get an OMAP4 Cortex-A9 device out right now, (have they even begun fabbing?), keep in mind that at the speed TI/PowerVR put out new drivers, you won't have video or 3D acceleration for another year at least.

I prefer my devices slightly slower and fully functional.

Neko said:
Sphinxter said:
Totally off topic.
That's why I originally posted it in the off-topic section.

But I guess nobody wants to post there.

yeah, i noticed you posted the same topic.

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/49611-arm-claims-cortex-a9-is-faster-than-intel-atom/

no one likes off topic discussion

RenegadeChic said:
its definitely premature but also its just... well its silly to say "oh there are faster chips out now, does that mean there will be faster computers?". of course anything made in the future will utilise the best available things at the time. they're hardly going to stick old tech in for the hell of it.
So you're trying to tell me that ARM processors are premature? It's no wonder x86 dominates (and penetrates) the market right now.

Username said:
RenegadeChic said:
So you're trying to tell me that ARM processors are premature? It's no wonder x86 dominates (and penetrates) the market right now.

I think he was saying that the asking about Pandora 2 was premature, which it is.
Also, signatured.

I was talking to my 5 year old* son just the other day about different CPU's and the possible benifit to mankind (well, the environment really) of switching all desktop machines to ARMS. He then asked "how would we run Windows on these non x86 machines?". I simply replied with "We don't run Windows in this house son, so we'd be alright!"

So, it's great to hear of Desktop-specific ARM chips. I would love to have a low power solution for my combined mythtv, web and media server!

I suppose Microsoft would hurredly prepare a build of windows for ARM though?

Would linux have a head start in this respect? Do ARM builds of linux take specific advantage of the ARM architecture?

I don't have in-depth knowledge of CPUs and would love to know more, if there are some knowledgable folks about...

* He appeared to be listening intently but I'm not sure If he was taking it in :)

At least most linux software is easily ported (because the source is available) to ARM, while microsoft would have a hard time to get every software house and developer to suddenly start supporting their new ARM windows.

lulzfish said:
I think he was saying that the asking about Pandora 2 was premature, which it is.
Given how long the Pandora took to make, I think they need to start planning the Pandora 2 now, if they want to have it done by 2011-2012.

Neko said:
lulzfish said:
Given how long the Pandora took to make, I think they need to start planning the Pandora 2 now, if they want to have it done by 2011-2012.

You forget the Pandora still isn't made yet...

Back