ARM Cortex A73 and Mali G71 Coming next year in products

There's not a white man's chance in Harlem that the MoQ of those would be sold by the thousands. And if that white man can in fact last in Harlem, then there's still no way EvilDragon could afford the price of those chips in the thousands (less so in the 100s).

In a world where the Pyra has a Cortex-A72 board with open-source Tamil graphics, OpenPandora GmbH would've paid off its investors in full, ED would take that Hawaii vacation, millions would feel the warm glow (possibly in a literal sense) of the Pyra, an FSF sponsorship would mean even less, and there'd be Starcraft 2 servers run by DragonBox.

Reactions: rSl
This is the off topic section. Not everything is about the Pyra. It's just general news. That said, it looks like a number of chinese companies will be making SOCs with it. So there probably is a good chance one of them will sell it to you , even in the thousands

Last edited:
There's not a white man's chance in Harlem that the MoQ of those would be sold by the thousands. And if that white man can in fact last in Harlem, then there's still no way EvilDragon could afford the price of those chips in the thousands (less so in the 100s).

In a world where the Pyra has a Cortex-A72 board with open-source Tamil graphics, OpenPandora GmbH would've paid off its investors in full, ED would take that Hawaii vacation, millions would feel the warm glow (possibly in a literal sense) of the Pyra, an FSF sponsorship would mean even less, and there'd be Starcraft 2 servers run by DragonBox.

Actually, Haarlem (Harlem in the Netherlands) is mostly white people,
So i suppose ED can book that ticket to Hawaii!!
And before you mention thats not THE HARLEM!!, Original Haarlem > Harlem :p

Last edited:
i want something power efficient with a32 (or also here).

if only i had my own fabrication plant. and piles of money.

This is the off topic section. Not everything is about the Pyra. It's just general news.

I'm very well aware of that, but you can't tell me you didn't expect anyone to bring up the Pyra.

That said, it looks like a number of chinese companies will be making SOCs with it. So there probably is a good chance one of them will sell it to you , even in the thousands

Well, then again, Spanish Harlem has many white Hispanics, so perhaps there is a chance.

The sadness on that first graph of the Cortex A15's mW/performance. Data straight from ARM.

The sadness on that first graph of the Cortex A15's mW/performance. Data straight from ARM.

Yeah you're right, it seems the A73 core only needs half the power to deliver the same performance compared to an A15 core

2_575px.PNG

Last edited:
If someone does something decent with this (and is willing to sell in small quantities) maybe ED would consider using it in a few years. Kinda looking forward to seeing what this leads to.

If someone does something decent with this (and is willing to sell in small quantities) maybe ED would consider using it in a few years. Kinda looking forward to seeing what this leads to.
Would be nice, indeed. However, the "old story" remains: does it come well documented, with all avalilable drivers and software support for our needs? Or is it already dropped right after launch like a hot potato?

They should have a worse-code graph too.

Edit: I think you maybe need to be friends with a SoC producer already, once they have silicon for sale, its probably all accounted for, which means they would have to go back to do a non-reference design.

ARM (back when it was part of Acorn) paid VLSI to fabricate it's reference designs up to ARMv4, but I guess they paid more than a few dollars per chip, given how much they sold boards containing the chips for. And I dunno what process they were made under - something well over 100nm I'd guess back then, probably a way off what Intel and AMD were using. But there are fabrication plants out there you can buy time and silicon from, at least in theory.

Someone please correct me if i'm wrong but wouldn't it be possible to get a devboard with this SOC and hook it up to a dummy CPU pcb like we did with the Pyra SOC? When the devboards become available we could get some real world data

Someone please correct me if i'm wrong but wouldn't it be possible to get a devboard with this SOC and hook it up to a dummy CPU pcb like we did with the Pyra SOC? When the devboards become available we could get some real world data
I guess it depends on the devboard, the OMAP5 EVM devboard had a lot of expansion connectors that made it easy to connect to everything needed to run the Pyra main board. If it's like some of these hobbyist boards that have been coming out they may provide a few GPIOs but not nearly enough to connect all the peripherals easily.

I guess it depends on the devboard, the OMAP5 EVM devboard had a lot of expansion connectors that made it easy to connect to everything needed to run the Pyra main board. If it's like some of these hobbyist boards that have been coming out they may provide a few GPIOs but not nearly enough to connect all the peripherals easily.
Ah, didn't really think about that. Thanks Trashy. Any chance of getting engineering samples to make a couple one-off boards for testing etc?

It's not a SoC yet - it's a core, actually a reference design for a core at that. Cores go into SoCs along with memory controllers and boot flash and usb controllers etc. Once someone does make an SoC and provide a devboard with it on, sure it could be bought and plugged in via an interface CPU board, but if nobody's going to sell it to us once a board is designed and laid out, there's not much point.

I wouldn't say that for sure, look at the CPU's predecessor in design, the Cortex-A17. That was in the Rockchip RK3288 which was in the GPD XD. I doubt that had a crazy high MOQ.

It shouldn't be hard getting Rockchips... but hardware documentation and Linux support probably wouldn't be easy.

Back