New Doom Port

DaveC

Internal Development
It would be nice if someone ported Doom to the GP32. Yes, there is a version out already but the saves are broken on the newest version for the BLU+ for homebrew PWADs and the gamma is set too bright. Guyfawkes was going to fix this but it looks as if he is on to other things. I have tried to contact him lately about it (even just to get the source code) but got no response. It would seem that it is likely dead from him. Would it be possible for someone to port it again and have saves and gamma adjustment? I think it is a shame that there is no working BLU+ version (with saves) of Doom available.

Doom port was a group project by Guyfawkes, Tom Forsyth, and Craig (gbax.com). So theres still hope. I'm sure it'd be a hell of a lot more effort to re-port instead of bugfix. It isn't even a bug, more of a compiling issue. If they just get the development environment right and re-compile, everything will be "peachy". <--Who says peachy anymore?

Doom port was a group project by Guyfawkes, Tom Forsyth, and Craig (gbax.com). So theres still hope. I'm sure it'd be a hell of a lot more effort to re-port instead of bugfix. It isn't even a bug, more of a compiling issue. If they just get the development environment right and re-compile, everything will be "peachy". <--Who says peachy anymore?

From what I know Craig gave the project to Guyfawkes. Guyfawkes has pretty much gone to the PSP and/or DS. I don't know about that other guy. I think if we wait for these guys to fix it it will be a very long wait, and it may never happen. Every day that goes by with no fix brings it closer to oblivion (it is hard to get into the swing if you haven't looked at the code for awhile). Maybe a PPC version could be ported. They use ARM CPUs, not sure how much it relies on CE though.

How about those dudes that ported Another World? I wonder if they could or would do it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Optimization is not a major issue, because Doom is such a good engine itself. The GP32 version is virtually unoptimized. I'm sure Craig still has the code though.

aah, just seeing this thread after posting on the original doomtest3 thread ... doom is already working quite well on gp32, it's really just tweaks that would make it perfect ... i was begging for an "always run" config :lol:

dave ... be sure you're runing v10b ... aka doomtest3.zip ... it has configs for brightness and gp32 type :ph34r:

It`s just DaveCs negative attitude that makes his gp32 stuff work worse than ours :D  :p

Um no, it is just Guyfawkes statement that there are still save bugs. I think he would know if it has bugs or not being the coder ;)

Quote from him:

"thanks for the feedback so far. for the moment all work on doom from me is on hold while I work on another of my projects this month. hopefully by the time its finished the save bug will be sorted out then I can continue work on Doom. All the minor reported bugs should be fixed and I will also have a go at the gamma settings and the movement bug." From this thread:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=17451&st=45

And here:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...=0&#entry250235

I know it is real tempting to just jump on the Bast band waggon and flame me but maybe try to do a bit of research first ;)

Nothing has been done to Doom since May.

You have a real thing about brightness don't you.

I'm pretty sure the code for standard PC brightness mode is unchanged from the PC version.

I will have a look and check for you.

-Craig

www.gbax.com

craigix posted on Jul 7 2005 at 11:38 PM said:
You have a real thing about brightness don't you.

I'm pretty sure the code for standard PC brightness mode is unchanged from the PC version.

I will have a look and check for you.

-Craig

www.gbax.com

It is actually not in the Doom code itself. It happens when the LCD is set up and/or initialized before doom is executed. It is the intensity bit that is set in the GP32 side of things. When Another world, MAME, Lynx emu came out it did the same thing. I e-mailed the below example from Reesy to these guys and they had it fixed in a day. That means that it probably was not that hard to fix. It is evident before Doom is even loaded on the main menu screen where you pick the WADs etc. It makes it look washed out (even Bast agrees with me) and ruins the look because it looks hazy instead of vibrant and sharp. This is made worse because doom is a dark game and needs all the contrast it can get. The intensity bit lessens contrast.

With PC brightness it just means that the doom engine is not upping the brightness itself.

So GP32 I-bit adds +10 brightness, then PC mode adds 0 giving +10

With GP32 enhanced you are getting I-bit +10 brightness, PLUS the Doom engines +10 giving +20 brightness.

So you can never get less than +10. If the I-bit was set to 0 you would get 0 from I-bit plus 0 from PC mode giving a total of 0 washing out. The GP32 enhanced would give you a total of +10.

(the +10 is hypothetical, I don't know the true number that the I-bit adds to the black level)

GP32 pal data is 16bit in the following format

RRRR RGGG GGBB BBBI

So before to set full red I would use 0xF801 - 1111 1000 0000 0001
but now I use 0xF800 - 1111 1000 0000 0000
I simply do not set the intensity bit.

Back