New (and Heavy) Firmware Soon ?

How does making an MP3 player cost licsensing fee? sounds ridiculous, I always thought it was free since I sit here and make all the MP3's I want with free software, and listen to them with free software

How does making an MP3 player cost licsensing fee? sounds ridiculous, I always thought it was free since I sit here and make all the MP3's I want with free software, and listen to them with free software
Free software authors typically ignore patents. Commercial manufacturers would get sued if they tried. Minimum fee for mp3 in commercial software is $15,000 per year. Peanuts for people like Sony, but not to people like GPH.

Last edited by a moderator:
Free software authors typically ignore patents. Commercial manufacturers would get sued if they tried. Minimum fee for mp3 in commercial software is $15,000 per year. Peanuts for people like Sony, but not to people like GPH.
Well the Wiz is open source, it just means any developer that's not GPH needs to make a simple media player. And that's your Mp3 support as it's free software on a commercial device.
We need to ditch MP3 format anyway, OGG or AAC are indeed better even if not mainstream.

I was refering to MP3 files used for sound effects in flash movies/games.
You mean the MP3 files stored in the actual SWF file?

Makes me think if there's a technicality of MP3 licenses if a device is capable of playing SWF files which can contain MP3 files.

...Nah.

They don't care how the MP3 data is contained, if you use the patented algorithm to play back the data, someone needs to pay the royalty fee. Maybe the flash player contains that fee and gph decided to pay that fee rather than just the mp3 one?

Back