Network Shares

Pleng

How can I access my network shares on my Pandora?

Thaaaaaaanks!

Pleng said:

Thaaaaaaanks!
Windows shares? I mount them like this (as root):
Code:
mount -t cifs <share path i. e. //Computer/Folder> <path where you want it to be mounted, say /media/windows> -o username=<windows username>,password=<windows password>,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777
(or whatever permissions you want for file/dir, this is for full read/write access).

Note: this should work on any Linux system with samba/cifs installed, not tested on a Pandora because I don't have one yet :angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Tom` said:
Pleng said:

Thaaaaaaanks!
Code:
 mount -t cifs <share path i. e. //Computer/Folder> <path where you want it to be mounted, say /media/windows> -o username=<windows username>,password=<windows password>,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777
(or whatever permissions you want for file/dir, this is for full read/write access).

Note: this should work on any Linux system with samba/cifs installed, not tested on a Pandora because I don't have one yet :angry:

you can also do it in the fstab

//computer/share /mymountpoint cifs username=<enteruser>,password=<enterpass> 0 0

then run after wifi is connected: sudo mount -a

Pickle said:
Tom` said:
Pleng said:

Thaaaaaaanks!
Code:

//computer/share /mymountpoint cifs username=<enteruser>,password=<enterpass> 0 0

true, of course. I wonder if we could have a graphical widget for this at some point - might help windows people. :p

Tom` said:
true, of course. I wonder if we could have a graphical widget for this at some point - might help windows people. :p

Pretty sure about that - but we don't have it right now ;)

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
Tom` said:

Pretty sure about that - but we don't have it right now ;)

smb4k is a nice frontend for KDE systems, but doesnt help much for xfce/gnome

Pickle said:

hmm ok well my windows shares don't require passwords, so I have tried by adding to my fstab:

//UPSTAIRS/share /video cifs deaults 0 0

and then tried

//UPSTAIRS/share /video cifs username=guest,password= 0 0

on both occasions when I ran sudo mount -a I got the following message:

wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on //UPSTAIRS/Video,
missing codepage or helper program, or other error

it then goes on to say I might need a helper program

any ideas?

Pleng said:
Pickle said:

hmm ok well my windows shares don't require passwords, so I have tried by adding to my fstab:

//UPSTAIRS/share /video cifs deaults 0 0

and then tried

//UPSTAIRS/share /video cifs username=guest,password= 0 0

on both occasions when I ran sudo mount -a I got the following message:

wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on //UPSTAIRS/Video,
missing codepage or helper program, or other error

it then goes on to say I might need a helper program

any ideas?

what about:

//UPSTAIRS/share /video cifs guest 0 0

you can ping/resolve UPSTAIRS?

assuming xfce like GNOME and all other g* components uses gvfs/gio for mounting/io, just enter the path smb:///UPSTAIRS/video in the file browser. This requires gvfs-smb (or equivalent) to be installed, but it'll work all graphically.

Try this first:

mount -t cifs //UPSTAIRS/share /video

If that doesn't work without entering a password, try:

mount -o password="" -t cifs //UPSTAIRS/share /video

If that doesn't work, get the IP of the system you are attempting to connect to and type:

mount -o password="" -t cifs //<ip_addr>/share /video

If that doesn't work, then type:

ping <ip_addr>

If that doesn't work, send your Pandora back because you shouldn't have it anymore.

haha thanks for all that. I tried pinging the router and realized I don't have a connection to the router. I did earlier but seem to have lost it.

Hmm. I tried setting up a static ip address but unfortunately the OK or SAVE button of the network manager doesn't fit on the screen so I cant save the settings! does anybody know what the correct keyboard shortcut is? :D

Pleng said:
haha thanks for all that. I tried pinging the router and realized I don't have a connection to the router. I did earlier but seem to have lost it.

Hmm. I tried setting up a static ip address but unfortunately the OK or SAVE button of the network manager doesn't fit on the screen so I cant save the settings! does anybody know what the correct keyboard shortcut is? :D

hold shift and then drag with the stylus

Try holding down shift and dragging the window upward so that the buttons are on-screen. I heard this mentioned in another thread.

EDIT: Ninja'd by a Pickle. :p

Pickle said:
Pleng said:

hold shift and then drag with the stylus

Um, ok by doing that I can drag the window up so the title bar is off the screen, but the ok/save button is still not visible

Are you grabbing it by the title bar, Pleng? You don't have to do that - you can grab it from anywhere (well, anywhere that's not a button, I guess :p).

Back